Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
4th line I agree, trouble there. But I feel like the 3rd line has been absolutely fine to even good. Haula and Noesen had great starts to the season IMO.

Comparison Ford

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
4th line I agree, trouble there. But I feel like the 3rd line has been absolutely fine to even good. Haula and Noesen had great starts to the season IMO.
tatar really did nothing. well need to upgrade on LW at some point this season if we wanna do real damage.

Meier-Hischier-Mercer
Cotter/Trade-Hughes-Bratt
Cotter/Trade-Haula-Noesen
Palat-Lazar-Bastian
Tatar

Reactions: NjDevsRR

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Tatar's spot is naturally where they'll look to upgrade anyway, whether it's via Gritsyuk or a deadline trade. Fitz's offseason was all about contingencies and insurance and probably his deadline will be too. I don't think he's going to cross his fingers on Tatar putting it together in the post-season.

I don't think he's been bad, but he does seem less sharp. You could probably do something there. I could see Gourde or Tanev being a target if SEA is out of it.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Ya the defense and goaltending should be set for the season barring any major injuries. If there’s any spots/players that could use an upgrade it’s Tatar and Bastian. I’d be happy be with a middle 6 Cotter type player who brings a little speed and grit and Gritsyuk. Wouldn’t count on Gritsyuk but I don’t think we need to go crazy if we can add one solid player.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Yo, Habs fan here. I took Hamilton in my pool, he hasn't produced squat in 6 games. Does he look good, or is he done? Should I drop him?
He looks the same as he always has. Unspectacular but makes simple plays and throws the puck to the net a lot. Nothing’s going in like it usually does but I’d imagine a few start going in sooner or later.

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
'When asked about Paul Cotter, Sheldon Keefe mostly spoke on the tenacity and style of player he was getting. Specifically, he described the aura with which Cotter showed when stepping through the door for the first time to attend training camp

"I didnt realize a guy could have a pair that incredibly large; and ive got a few sets of Chinese Baoding balls at home" Keefe said

The footage of Paul Cotter walking into Devils' facilities for the first time over the offseason, from the new docu-series, was finally released'

IMG_5135.gif

(Im sorry.. I had way too much fun lmfao)

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
No one would have ever bet that Cotter would be our leading scorer 7 games in. Hopefully he keeps up this pace. So far, he's been the steal of the off season.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Not really. You see him in practice, you see him in the room, you observe the attitude and work habits and combined with the play you make a decision. You hang on too long you get nothing in return. It worked out well we got something decent back

Reactions: woody footbreaker

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I hope Cotter doesn't turn into a pumpkin. I think we might be getting a bit too high on him. I like him a lot. He's ideal in the bottom 6. But it looks clear to me that he is not a top 6 forward.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
I’m absolutely thrilled to eat crow. Cotter is a STUD!!

As others have said, we could use another top 6 winger but I believe Gritsyuk can be that guy. It’ll be interesting to see what Fitz does down the line.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Not really. You see him in practice, you see him in the room, you observe the attitude and work habits and combined with the play you make a decision. You hang on too long you get nothing in return. It worked out well we got something decent back
You should call Fitz and set him straight since you clearly know better.

Reactions: Darkauron

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I hope Cotter doesn't turn into a pumpkin. I think we might be getting a bit too high on him. I like him a lot. He's ideal in the bottom 6. But it looks clear to me that he is not a top 6 forward.
I thought he wasn’t a bad fit with Hughes and Bratt last night. So he may not be a top 6 forward as a feature guy but he may be able to play there as a complimentary guy; I’m still hoping for a Randy McKay level guy.

Cotter went to good spots on the ice to support the other two, imo. I haven’t done a video session review or anything though so maybe a few plays stood out in my mind that aren’t indicative of the overall night.

What I liked was that the line had 2 guys looking to create plays and one guy looking to support the play. The top heavy first line had 3 guys looking to make plays and it was too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad