Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Yo, Habs fan here. I took Hamilton in my pool, he hasn't produced squat in 6 games. Does he look good, or is he done? Should I drop him?

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
Yo, Habs fan here. I took Hamilton in my pool, he hasn't produced squat in 6 games. Does he look good, or is he done? Should I drop him?
He's coming back from a major injury so it may take him some time to return to form. Also he's been on the ice for the majority of the goals the Devils have scored so far so it's also kind of unlucky he hasn't been producing. I would keep him because someone else in your pool will quickly snap him up to replace some scrub.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
He's coming back from a major injury so it may take him some time to return to form. Also he's been on the ice for the majority of the goals the Devils have scored so far so it's also kind of unlucky he hasn't been producing. I would keep him because someone else in your pool will quickly snap him up to replace some scrub.
Thanks, I'm gonna be patient but that goose egg stresses me the F up lol

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks, I'm gonna be patient but that goose egg stresses me the F up lol
It's a tough spot because you need points consistently in fantasy and there is the non-zero chance that he is cooked. However if you drop him and he returns to 60 point form while some dude in your pool picks him up for free by dropping some traffic cone, you are gonna feel even worse. Just gotta stay the course for now.

Reactions: Toene

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Cool. What other things do you not wonder about? Coaching change perhaps? Ruff definitely gave Hughes a ton of free reign. Does Keefe direct Hughes to look for others more?

I'm also seeing, as this is indicative of how player dynamics are not static, is we have seen Bratt's PP shot rate increase dramatically since 21-22 when he averaged less then 6 shots per 60. That jumped to above 9/60 in 22-23, above 10/60 in 23-24, and is currently above 14/60. This seasons jump could be small sample stuff, but it could also be due in part to the coaching change, and it could also be due to Bratt continuing to evolve his game. We've seen his pp shot rate trending upwards in recent years, so I would not be at all surprised if that trend continues.

Further Bratt's 5v5 shot attempt rate has actually increased every season he has been in the league. And that trend continues early this year. That's pretty interesting too I thinks. I thought late in the game vs Carolina he was pushing the puck more individually then I remember him typically doing, so again, maybe indicative of Bratt continuing to evolve what has been a continuously evolving game.

What an inquisitive mind you have, premised on spite. Yes, all of this is interesting - guess what, it still all doesn't matter because Bratt is not going to get close to Hughes in shots, yes, even though Bratt does shoot more on the power play now, he will never get close to Hughes's ES shot rate, and there's no reason to suspect that coaching would affect Hughes more than Bratt.

This season's jump is unquestionably small sample stuff, come on. He's played 30 minutes on the power play so far this season. If his shot rate was 25 shots/60, yes then you could conclude that he's almost certainly getting more shots on net going forward, but you absolutely cannot conclude from 30 minutes that a ~33% increase means a sustainable increased rate for the entire season.

This is my least favorite part of the season because everything is tiny samples. It's usually not worth looking at things until 20 games in, then we can get a sense of what teams actually are.

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
Tatar and Palat are quickly falling out of favour.

Really hope our bottom 6 doesn't become an issue.
Tatar should be fine, I think. Even if he doesnt stick on the third line, you could always place him next to Nico and and a RW and he will probably outplay his expected value

Palat im not sure about; would love his money to be spent elsewhere but, while hes here, maybe he can turn it around some point this season

Reactions: Devs3cups

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Tatar and Palat are quickly falling out of favour.

Really hope our bottom 6 doesn't become an issue.

That's why I brought up the Taylor Hall thing as a troll/slightly serious thing the other day as a trade deadline thing and he's been good with Nico and I think we still need a top 6 wing. The issue is he might be beyond cooked with his skating with all the injuries he's had his entire career but I haven't seen him play in Chicago for a game in a while

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The Devils have scored 19 goals and Hamilton has been on the ice for 12 of them. He's gotten a few 3rd assists that obviously don't get recorded on the score sheet.

The PP is not really great at the moment and that's where he gets a ton of his production, we are confident that it will get figured out eventually. This roster has too much talent for the PP to be this bad.

Our depth is much improved and a lot of those newer middle of the lineup guys are getting the glory at the moment. Dougie will get his points.

Reactions: Toene and Dialamo

Comparison Ford

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
That's why I brought up the Taylor Hall thing as a troll/slightly serious thing the other day as a trade deadline thing and he's been good with Nico and I think we still need a top 6 wing. The issue is he might be beyond cooked with his skating with all the injuries he's had his entire career but I haven't seen him play in Chicago for a game in a while
this kind of move would be sneaky good.

a player like Gritsyuk would go such a long way in this bottom 6 right now too.

CalamityX23

May 2, 2023
Tatar not making the impact? shocker!!!

still early but it was a move I was very "no no no" on....

Maybe insert someone else if possible, Foote? Stillman, he plays hockey right? Get his ass in and see what he can do at this level once and for all.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Tatar not making the impact? shocker!!!

still early but it was a move I was very "no no no" on....

Maybe insert someone else if possible, Foote? Stillman, he plays hockey right? Get his ass in and see what he can do at this level once and for all.
He’s been more or less exactly what he was expected to be. We’re getting 58% of shot attempts with him out there, +2. The solid supportive player he was a couple years ago — a fine signing.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Tatar’s rightful place was always on the third line.

And if Cotter takes a single faceoff while Jack is on the ice, I’m calling my “1C Paul Cotter” prediction a success.
Pretty amazing for a guy making BELOW league minimum.

-Edit-

Or was that Kovacevic? Either way, two amazing deals/trades

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
#palat2chicago4hall

Obviously there would have to be other pieces involved. Make it happen Fitz!

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Cotter in the top six was inevitable just as a guy who will get dirty when needed and brings the juice. Don’t know it sticks longterm but not surprised.

Don’t like the bottom six as much without him ofc, kinda think the 3rd line might get caved in.

Reactions: Forge

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey

Paul Cotter – Jack Hughes – Jesper Bratt​

Timo Meier – Nico Hischier – Dawson Mercer

Tomas Tatar – Erik Haula – Stefan Noesen

Ondrej Palat – Curtis Lazar – Nathan Bastian

Hopefully Tatar isn't space junk without Nico. But changes needed to made, this lineup should be scoring more goals.

Drop him and pick up Cotter.:sarcasm:

Reactions: Dialamo

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
That fourth line might be a black hole, but Cotter has earned the promotion to Jack's line. Splitting up Meier and Hughes is also correct.

It looks unorthodox, but I'm willing to give it a shot.
4th line will be A-okay when we add Lars Eller at the deadline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad