Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
For me, the Devils visually have more structure in the defensive zone and you can see all the guys get involved on defense. 3-5 guys are actively involved at any moment. They still run around sometimes but that will likely lessen as the season goes on and can never totally be eliminated in a fluid sport.

I do wonder if the way the team plays now is the way the team will play all year. The last 2 games the Devils defensive responsibility has limited their ability to get out of the zone at times due to everyone thinking defense first. I wonder if, once the coaching staff feels everyone has the defensive roles as second nature, that the tighter leash can be loosed a bit to allow guys to try and cheat offensively when the risk/reward makes sense.

Similar thought on offense, Devils have dumped the puck in a lot the last 2 games; I wonder if we see the team given more freedom to try and skate it in later on in the year.

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
There have been some big shots (slapper and wrist), in some of the first 3 games, but not on target in the net. On target to the goalie, yup.

I'm worried about the accuracy, but maybe it is a function of him missing 3/4th of a season and the whole rhythm isn't there.

View attachment 917184

Caveat that its super early in the season, but:
- his average shot velo so far this year is above where he has been historically.
- his top shot speed is 94th percentile amongst all dmen which is up a little from where he usually is.
- He hasn't matched his peak shot velo yet from the past few years, but still has one above 90mph.

Not something to worry about IMO, unless the data regresses as the season goes on.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

Siegs redemption arc.

vindication-brooklyn.gif

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The other thing that stands out to me is where does Carolina go from here? It’s game two and BrindAmour is coaching like it’s game seven of thr finals. Hard matching full forecheck and setting up everything to get a first line fourth line shift. This is peak Canes. They had days of practice for a divisional opponent and actually prepared a specific gameplan and worked on it. They had the last change and the fresh legs. And NJ was one open net shot from tying the game late. Oh and let’s play that game with Luke instead of Nemec and see how it goes. I just don’t see this as a great Canes team if it took this much effort to beat NJ.
There was literally zero first line vs fourth line shifts. Our 4th line was crushed by their 4th line.

What they did have was a rested team that didn't want to go 0-2 vs a team that played 3 games in 4 days. That I think was a legit advantage and played to their aggressive forecheck and puck pressure.

But I can't look past Carolina. They've been a good team for awhile. Most of their core is still there. They are well coached. They are a good team until they prove otherwise imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
There was literally zero first line vs fourth line shifts. Our 4th line was crushed by their 4th line.

What they did have was a rested team that didn't want to go 0-2 vs a team that played 3 games in 4 days. That I think was a legit advantage and played to their aggressive forecheck and puck pressure.

But I can't look past Carolina. They've been a good team for awhile. Most of their core is still there. They are well coached. They are a good team until they prove otherwise imo.
they are somewhat the same team they'v been for a number of years now. They get 100% effort and play the right system for their personnel. I still see them as overachieving.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
they are somewhat the same team they'v been for a number of years now. They get 100% effort and play the right system for their personnel. I still see them as overachieving.
And maybe that explains their ceiling in the playoffs.

Jarvis confirming himself as a 30 goal scorer would be big for them. As would Svechnikov getting back to being a 30 goal scorer. Blake could be a wild card for them.

They also like these smallish offensive minded d-men like DeAngelo and Ghost to complement an otherwise sound defensive unit.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
And maybe that explains their ceiling in the playoffs.

Jarvis confirming himself as a 30 goal scorer would be big for them. As would Svechnikov getting back to being a 30 goal scorer. Blake could be a wild card for them.

They also like these smallish offensive minded d-men like DeAngelo and Ghost to complement an otherwise sound defensive unit.
They are still leaning heavily on Burns and Sasquatch (and some other older players). Those guys are old as hockey players go. As the season unfolds I expect them to start falling off. Even last night, Sasquatch got the worst of it to Hischier in the face-off dot. Typically Sasquatch would take Hischier's lunch money there. I think the erosion is starting. Once they start getting banged up and Kotkaniemi has to play 20 minutes per game and have tough matchups and once Ghost is their regular power play QB they will not be as tough as they were last night. I just think the Canes had every advantage and everything went right for them last night. They have nowhere to go but down. Even a small step back and they are potentially vulnerable in the standings.

Reactions: devilsblood

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
They are still leaning heavily on Burns and Sasquatch (and some other older players). Those guys are old as hockey players go. As the season unfolds I expect them to start falling off. Even last night, Sasquatch got the worst of it to Hischier in the face-off dot. Typically Sasquatch would take Hischier's lunch money there. I think the erosion is starting. Once they start getting banged up and Kotkaniemi has to play 20 minutes per game and have tough matchups and once Ghost is their regular power play QB they will not be as tough as they were last night. I just think the Canes had every advantage and everything went right for them last night. They have nowhere to go but down. Even a small step back and they are potentially vulnerable in the standings.
I'm certainly not opposed to the possibility.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad