Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
I tend to post a lot of negative stuff but a lot of it is rooted in how disturbingly bad the team was last year in many aspects beyond just the injuries. For me, they haven’t earned my trust. And admittedly it’s cathartic in some ways to bash them. Its okay to admit your not always going to post with a calm rational mind. I assume most of us don’t have a lot people in their life that they can discuss Devils with. I know I certainly don’t.

That being said, I think there should be healthy discussion that has balance. Not every negative take should be completely bashed into oblivion because it doesn’t paint [insert your beloved player] in a perfect light.

When they’re a perennial playoff team and their top players are playing mostly full seasons and meeting expectations, I think it’ll be a lot easier/more acceptable to be dismissive of negative takes. I have hope, but I think it’s fair to be cautious.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
IMG_4182.jpeg

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I tend to post a lot of negative stuff but a lot of it is rooted in how disturbingly bad the team was last year in many aspects beyond just the injuries. For me, they haven’t earned my trust. And admittedly it’s cathartic in some ways to bash them. Its okay to admit your not always going to post with a calm rational mind. I assume most of us don’t have a lot people in their life that they can discuss Devils with. I know I certainly don’t.

That being said, I think there should be healthy discussion that has balance. Not every negative take should be completely bashed into oblivion because it doesn’t paint [insert your beloved player] in a perfect light.

When they’re a perennial playoff team and their top players are playing mostly full seasons and meeting expectations, I think it’ll be a lot easier/more acceptable to be dismissive of negative takes. I have hope, but I think it’s fair to be cautious.
The question is whether you view 2023-34 as an anomaly, or if you view 2022-23 as the anomaly.

Personally I think 2022-23 was closer to where this team is than 2023-24. '23 was by no means setting a new normal - a lot had to go right and that season was unusual by a lot of standards - but the team had been trending up for quite some time and was starting to deliver tangibles that had been hinted at by the underlyings for years prior.

Of course, the team is actually somewhere between those. But I think they're much closer to '23 than they are to '24. A lot more went wrong last year than went right the year prior.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
If he was released by Barys, it is likely he is no longer the player he was when he was with the Devils. He played just 22 games two years ago due to a serious injury and had no points in eight games in the KHL.
Rumor has it he was in a conflict with management over something and the waiver was punishment. Who knows.

Following the '22-23 injury year he put up 48Pts in 52GP last season ('23-24). The guy is only 28-yrs-old and based upon last years numbers he would have finished 4 points behind Schmelzer's team leading 52 Pts which Ryan accumulated in 72 GP. I'd have no problems giving him another run.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
DeSimone signed on June 24 and less than a week later the Devils traded for Johnathan Kovacevic. That's the tough break. Casey beating him out has nothing to do with that, really - that kind of thing can obviously happen to a guy who's been a pro for 8 years. I'd assume if I were signing a one-way with the Devils, a team that rarely gives out one-way contracts to players they assign to the minors, that I would have a decent chance of making the opening night roster, but even with 2 and arguably 3 injuries, he didn't make it.

"a team that rarely gives out one-way contracts to players they assign to the minors"

When NJ does they they have given one to Tyce Thompson.The guy signed a 1-way for $775K in 23-24 after a terrible season in '22-23 (7G for a supposed scoring wing). After no goals in the 1st 15 of '23-24. They came to their senses and realized the kid was flop and traded him to the Isles who had to pay him the rest of that contract. Lou waived him this season and assigned him to the AHL when no other team was interested. His AHL salary is $175, still an over payment after his worst season ever, 3G/16A/19Pts/66GP.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
The question is whether you view 2023-34 as an anomaly, or if you view 2022-23 as the anomaly.

Personally I think 2022-23 was closer to where this team is than 2023-24. '23 was by no means setting a new normal - a lot had to go right and that season was unusual by a lot of standards - but the team had been trending up for quite some time and was starting to deliver tangibles that had been hinted at by the underlyings for years prior.

Of course, the team is actually somewhere between those. But I think they're much closer to '23 than they are to '24. A lot more went wrong last year than went right the year prior.

Well said. And I agree a sound argument is to be made they are closer to ‘23.

I’m really going to step away from the ledge if I see a lot more of this commitment to physicality, defense and making the simple play. First two games were encouraging and a really nice building block.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I have to say, the ignore feature is kind of amusing when you see multiple people seemingly going off on a tangent and then you realize which poster you can't see sent them on it. I should have used it before.:laugh:
that's absurd. You absolutely want to see my posts. They are little works of literary genius each time.

Reactions: TrufleShufle

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
"a team that rarely gives out one-way contracts to players they assign to the minors"

When NJ does they they have given one to Tyce Thompson.The guy signed a 1-way for $775K in 23-24 after a terrible season in '22-23 (7G for a supposed scoring wing). After no goals in the 1st 15 of '23-24. They came to their senses and realized the kid was flop and traded him to the Isles who had to pay him the rest of that contract. Lou waived him this season and assigned him to the AHL when no other team was interested. His AHL salary is $175, still an over payment after his worst season ever, 3G/16A/19Pts/66GP.

That was a two-way that turned into a one-way, something which all teams do and New Jersey is no exception. Nico Daws is presently on a contract like that. Johnathan Kovacevic is also on a contract like that.

Reactions: HBK27

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ

People are allowed to be negative, but when it’s the same people being relentlessly negative, not admitting when they’re wrong, and never adding anything but contention to the board, it’s a wee bit tiresome.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
DeSimone really caught a bad break ending up here. He is not far from a decent NHL player and he has so many guys ahead of him on the depth chart. Would like to flip him for an AHL veteran C.
Argued against this kind of belief in the summer and still strongly disagree with this sentiment. He signed with us for a reason despite not having to whatsoever. It’s because for the first time he’s getting guarenteed NHL money. Not gonna break it down financially again but it’s pretty life changing for a guy like him who’s never really made it apart from a couple very short stints.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad