Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
f*** man, he was the best one for a while. TG and that guy from The Athletic that went to cover San Jose were good, not much between.
At least being in the NYC area, you will almost always find someone young and hungry who will be willing to do a good job, even if they move on later. I remember when people on this board shat on Cangialosi whenever he had to fill in for Doc and then years later loved him. Especially if the team is good, the other guy will probably do a fine enough job and then you have some podcasts to fill in the gaps. I find myself listening to the official postgame a lot more too.

Reactions: mdj12784

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Novo better be ready to actually ask some questions. Asking Ruff about nonsense in front of 3 other reporters is a lot different than an NFL team lmao

Yeah, Novo can't be a shit stirrer anymore lmao. NFL HC's have less time for those type of questions than NHL coaches do. Daboll would chew him out for being a younger reporter too

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
IMG_4876.jpeg

Sheldon Keefe pressers this year

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Thank god, the current giants reporting is a hellscape of regurgitated negativity.

Can Novo chew out Daboll for not improving the team?
Not to derail this thread but I think Dabolls offense with Nabers and a much improved line is going to look worlds better. His scheme was never the issue, he had guys constantly open but Jones never had time because he was getting spit roasted behind that line. They now have a true 1 in Nabers, new o line coach, and not Evan Neal at RT lol.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Thank god, the current giants reporting is a hellscape of regurgitated negativity.

Not to derail this thread but I think Dabolls offense with Nabers and a much improved line is going to look worlds better. His scheme was never the issue, he had guys constantly open but Jones never had time because he was getting spit roasted behind that line. They now have a true 1 in Nabers, new o line coach, and not Evan Neal at RT lol.
Evan Neal is a very sore subject in my family. My brother asked my middle son about him when drafted since my middle son went to Bama. My brother thought he’d do reasonably well in the NFL from watching him at school. When that didn’t happen my brother started blaming my son for Neal’s failures contending my son told Neal to dog it on purpose.

do you suggest @Ripshot 43 ?
As a tip or a waitress?

• Haha
Reactions: Clam Jensen

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The problem with the Russians is that they're in Russia and they tend to stay there much longer. The Devils have no organizational control over them. I don't have any doubt that if they're good enough, they will come over, at some point - ever since they got Misyul over here, a guy who I never expected to see
Ya Grits being the prime example. Hopefully we see him in the states when he's 24.

And, while Misyul is a counter example, for the most part you can't stick these guy in the AHL for 2-3 years, helping the AHL team, while also providing some depth options for your NHL team in case of injury.

Guys like Orlov or Karpovich may be relatively talented players, especially for where they are drafted, but never provide any actual utility to the organization. On the other end of the spectrum, drafting a NA overager like Graham who is on the very low end of the talent spectrum, but could provide immediate utility to the organization(wonder when we get word of the plan for Graham and Melovsky).

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY

They will almost certainly look better, but also, unfortunately, Danny Dimes is still Danny Dimes.

And Danny Dimes sucks.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Ya Grits being the prime example. Hopefully we see him in the states when he's 24.

And, while Misyul is a counter example, for the most part you can't stick these guy in the AHL for 2-3 years, helping the AHL team, while also providing some depth options for your NHL team in case of injury.

Guys like Orlov or Karpovich may be relatively talented players, especially for where they are drafted, but never provide any actual utility to the organization. On the other end of the spectrum, drafting a NA overager like Graham who is on the very low end of the talent spectrum, but could provide immediate utility to the organization(wonder when we get word of the plan for Graham and Melovsky).

The talk around Karpovich is that there's been talk of him coming over already, and he's on a one year deal in the KHL, so it would not surprise me if he comes over next year - there's room in the organization with presumably Hatakka and Misyul moving on, one way or another. But in general this has not been how things have been done with Russians drafted out of Russia in the Devils organization post-Lou (I realize Karpovich is not Russian).

Reactions: devilsblood

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hopefully the replacement is passionate about the Devils....
I really hope he's at least halfway decent. We had no one decent between Tom Gulitti and Ryan. Actually, Andrew Gross may have been halfway decent, but he wasn't well received here because the shoes he had to fill for Tom were way too big and he was his successor. And we were used to getting LOTS of coverage from TG, but it dropped off considerably with AG.

And then it went down to almost nothing with Abby and whoever else afterwards. And the coverage we got from the Ledger people was no count. Even when Rich Chere was there. The people covering us for the athletic and other publications were also assigned to cover the Rangers or other teams.

They already named the successor (and I already forgot his name) and I went to his twitter yesterday (which I usually can't someone's page because I do not have a twitter account and won't make one, and now you need an account just to look at tweets) and it looked like it had been a while since he posted.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I really hope he's at least halfway decent. We had no one decent between Tom Gulitti and Ryan. Actually, Andrew Gross may have been halfway decent, but he wasn't well received here because the shoes he had to fill for Tom were way too big and he was his successor. And we were used to getting LOTS of coverage from TG, but it dropped off considerably with AG.

And then it went down to almost nothing with Abby and whoever else afterwards. And the coverage we got from the Ledger people was no count. Even when Rich Chere was there. The people covering us for the athletic and other publications were also assigned to cover the Rangers or other teams.

They already named the successor (and I already forgot his name) and I went to his twitter yesterday (which I usually can't someone's page because I do not have a twitter account and won't make one, and now you need an account just to look at tweets) and it looked like it had been a while since he posted.
The one gem was Corey Masisak for the athletic, who of course was moved to another beat at the earliest convenience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad