Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Just in case anyone was thinking I was a bit dramatic about how badly we need new seats at the rock or how much they simply don't clean anything more than they have to. I was at Monster Jam tonight, section 11. This wasn't just the seats in front of me either, it was rows and rows that all look like this.

Clearly they aren't doing anything cleaning wise with the arena during the off season, disgusting...

View attachment 898900

2024-25 ... 18th season at the rock

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

2024-25 ... 18th season at the rock

Ya, have to be getting close to replacing them. It's not even stains on the back of the plastic chairs, it's caked up dirt and gunk that a deep cleaning would solve but yeah the fabric on the front needs replacing too from stains.

With all this money this place brings in and how much they raise the ticket prices the last two years it's embarrassing to have the arena look like this.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Granted it was 35 years ago he did build a Stanley Cup team in Calgary, and the Flames were a helluva team that might have more than one if they didn't have one of the great teams of all-time in their conference.
That was his dad Cliff Fletcher.

Reactions: My3Sons

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
idk if its a hot take but I think Simon Nemec ends up better than Luke - and wins a Norris or two. Offensively Luke will have him beat though, outside a select few years

Hes that dude - all-around stud
Unfortunately if you don't finish in the top 3 in points for a defensman than you really don't have a shot at winning the Norris. I'm not sure if Nemec is capable of that.

Even if he never wins one all I care about is him being a #1 Dman for us and bringing a cup or two back home to NJ alongside Luke on the bluelne.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Granted it was 35 years ago he did build a Stanley Cup team in Calgary, and the Flames were a helluva team that might have more than one if they didn't have one of the great teams of all-time in their conference.

That was his father (and the only reason he is where he is) Cliff Fletcher...who was a good GM. (I honestly think every time he gets hired its for that very reason...people mistake him for his father lol)
Chuck? Not so much.

Minnesota is STILL paying Parise and Suter to NOT play for them. Philly is STILL paying Hayes and Atkinson and Deangelo to NOT play for them. ALL Chuck signings. Every move he made was dumber than the last one. While he was trying to build a champion, the team went further into the tank with higher cap issues. You'd be hard pressed to find a more incompetent GM.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons and Nubmer6

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
That was his father (and the only reason he is where he is) Cliff Fletcher...who was a good GM. (I honestly think every time he gets hired its for that very reason...people mistake him for his father lol)
Chuck? Not so much.

Minnesota is STILL paying Parise and Suter to NOT play for them. Philly is STILL paying Hayes and Atkinson and Deangelo to NOT play for them. ALL Chuck signings. Every move he made was dumber than the last one. While he was trying to build a champion, the team went further into the tank with higher cap issues. You'd be hard pressed to find a more incompetent GM.
Oops!

Reactions: CanuckistanFlyerfan

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Ya, have to be getting close to replacing them. It's not even stains on the back of the plastic chairs, it's caked up dirt and gunk that a deep cleaning would solve but yeah the fabric on the front needs replacing too from stains.

With all this money this place brings in and how much they raise the ticket prices the last two years it's embarrassing to have the arena look like this.

It feels like they need to take a month or so off from holding any events to do some actual deep cleaning and renovations. But the Rock is holding events constantly, so it probably makes that a more difficult endeavor.

I agree that it’s about time they make some necessary improvements.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Would you guys be interested in JVR on a one year deal? Eklund (I know, insert joke here) speculated that the Devils are one of six teams that have some interest.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Would you guys be interested in JVR on a one year deal? Eklund (I know, insert joke here) speculated that the Devils are one of six teams that have some interest.
No way.

Old, slow and doesn’t produce at a better rate than hardly anyone we have in the top-9 at this point.

He’s a bigger, older and slower version of Palat.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Unfortunately if you don't finish in the top 3 in points for a defensman than you really don't have a shot at winning the Norris. I'm not sure if Nemec is capable of that.

Even if he never wins one all I care about is him being a #1 Dman for us and bringing a cup or two back home to NJ alongside Luke on the bluelne.
Having two potential #1 D-man prospects already contributing at 20 is a blessing.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tell me this is a joke!?
Devils hired Fletcher as assistant to the GM.
The joke is that people actually think this means he's gonna be a person of significant consequence in the organization.

And like there aren't currently a handful of other ex-GM's (Chiarelli being one) that are employed by other team's in this same exact role.

If I actually believed he had a legit chance to take over as perma GM than I would be irate, but I don't at all believe he does.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Tell me this is a joke!?
Devils hired Fletcher as assistant to the GM.
Yes, he has a Dwight Schrute level of authority as assistant to the GM rather than assistant GM.

The joke is that people actually think this means he's gonna be a person of significant consequence in the organization.

And like there aren't currently a handful of other ex-GM's (Chiarelli being one) that are employed by other team's in this same exact role.

If I actually believed he had a legit chance to take over as perma GM than I would be irate, but I don't at all believe he does.

You can really tell this isn’t an important gig since he’s not listed as senior leadership while bunches of other hockey ops people are.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024

No, the joke is those acting as if his position is some charitable action akin to a Make-A-Wish child with a day contract

Nobody here is suggesting he is going to take over the organization. Yet its obvious whos coping and convincing themselves Chuck Fletcher wont have any input on anything

Spin it ten more times Bleed, it doesnt matter - its not a good hire

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulD

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No, the joke is those acting as if his position is some charitable contract akin to a Make-A-Wish child with a day contract

Nobody here is suggesting he is going to take over the organization. Yet its obvious whos coping and convincing themselves Chuck Fletcher wont have any input on anything

Some of you are overreacting here.

Unless you honestly believe he has a good chance at becoming GM here someday. I absolutely do not. If you actually believe that then I can understand the alarm, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

A lot of these guys have this same job with other teams. I haven't seen Chiarelli take over as GM yet in the 5 years he's been in St. Louis doing the same thing.

And they've already announced that there will be a new GM transitioning into the role in 2 more years, and it isn't Peter Chiarelli.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
No, the joke is those acting as if his position is some charitable action akin to a Make-A-Wish child with a day contract

bingo
it's an embarrassing hire. any way you slice it

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Some of you are overreacting here.

Unless you honestly believe he has a good chance at becoming GM here someday. I absolutely do not. If you actually believe that then I can understand the alarm, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

A lot of these guys have this same job with other teams. I haven't seen Chiarelli take over as GM yet in the 5 years he's been in St. Louis doing the same thing.

And they've already announced that there will be a new GM transitioning into the role in 2 more years, and it isn't Peter Chiarelli.
Its not an overreaction - the man is outdated in how hockey operates now and it shows, and we hired him to 'help' advise our current staff

The only thing thats been said by those claiming it isnt a big deal is this wild conspiracy theory that he wont actually advise on anything, but instead will put on a jesters costume and make jokes for the crew

Its coping. Those who are willing to admit it know its a bad hire. Anyone else claiming something else is doing so based on zero evidence whatsoever

My argument is he will 'advise', based on his positions title - that is bad enough. The counter argument is he wont and theres no proof for this other than making themselves feel better about a shitty choice by the club

The strawman will come right back out in 'oh but he wont be GM', okay - if thats what helps some

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Not to mention..

this idea that its a favor by Fitzgerald, a man who came up under Fletcher (and others) and is partially indebted to him, but will only hire him to keep his mouth shut for a paycheck is wildly ridiculous

'Hey Chuck - I know you had a hand in me getting to where I am today, but if you could just sit in the corner and shut the f*** up while the big boys talk - thatd be great, thanks'

Not only is it fan-fiction but its comical to think Tom would disrespect someone he clearly looks up to, by offering him a position in which he has no voice.

But others know better - its obviously just a paycheck for a good friend! Weve all been inside NHL war-rooms and know the dynamic, duh

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Its not an overreaction - the man is outdated in how hockey operates now and it shows, and we hired him to 'help' advise our current staff

The only thing thats been said by those claiming it isnt a big deal is this wild conspiracy theory that he wont actually advise on anything, but instead will put on a jesters costume and make jokes for the crew

Its coping. Those who are willing to admit it know its a bad hire. Anyone else claiming something else is doing so based on zero evidence whatsoever

My argument is he will 'advise', based on his positions title - that is bad enough. The counter argument is he wont and theres no proof for this other than making themselves feel better about a shitty choice by the club

The strawman will come right back out in 'oh but he wont be GM', okay - if thats what helps some
I don't honestly believe he has much influence or power at all. He's in a front office role with the team, yes. But so are a bunch of people, most of which we don't even talk about and couldn't even name without looking up the team directory..

The role he's in is harmless and of little consequence.

If we get to the point where he becomes at the very least the assistant GM (there's already two assistant GM's at the moment) then maybe I'll start to somewhat panic.

If he ever becomes the permanent GM, then you can @ me and I'll be joining you and everyone else in burning down Prudential Center.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I don't honestly believe he has much influence or power at all. He's in a front office role with the team, yes. But so are a bunch of people, most of which we don't even talk about and couldn't even name without looking up the team directory..

The role he's in is harmless and of little consequence.

If we get to the point where he becomes at the very least the assistant GM (there's already two assistant GM's at the moment) then maybe I'll start to somewhat panic.

If he ever becomes the permanent GM, then you can @ me and I'll be joining you and everyone else in burning down Prudential Center.
If the next GM (and soon, I might add) isnt Kate Madigan im burning down Prudential first. Dan MacKinnon is fine in the role he is in - if were going for more of a face and a people person, Kate obviously outranks Fitzgerald's stuttering ass there lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00