Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
There’s nothing this move does that makes me question Fitz’s judgment. I get it, the old boys club sucks, but there’s nothing that deters me here from thinking anything has changed in the structure of the front office. It hasn’t. Fitz, Marty, Madigan and MacKinnon are the core group of decision makers there.

I don't want utter incompetence at any position within the organization. These people are like parasites. He will probably bring in a couple of his guys, and they will bring in a couple of their guys. And now you have poisoned the organization. It's just stupid to even have that admittedly unlikely scenario as something that is possible. I'd rather the team pay him just to stay away.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
None of those other guys have become GM. Shero has been in this role in Minnesota for several years now, Bergevin in LA for 2 (let's see if he's promoted to replace Rob Blake soon enough), Doug Wilson is in Pittsburgh now.

The most famous is Pete Chiarelli being in St. Louis the last 5 years.
Thats great but the possibility even being there is the issue; even if its literally just a paycheck as Afro says, its worse than nothing

And I seriously dont buy the idea these guys dont have their opinions heard on things. Fitzgerald may look up to him so he could be influential, whether small or big

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Thats great but the possibility even being there is the issue; even if its literally just a paycheck as Afro says, its worse than nothing

And I seriously dont buy the idea these guys dont have their opinions heard on things. Fitzgerald may look up to him so he could be influential, whether small or big
I couldn’t agree more. Instead of hiring an incompetent like him they could have hired an incompetent like me.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
None of those other guys have become GM. Shero has been in this role in Minnesota for several years now, Bergevin in LA for 2 (let's see if he's promoted to replace Rob Blake soon enough), Doug Wilson is in Pittsburgh now.

The most famous is Pete Chiarelli being in St. Louis the last 5 years.
And who was Shero hired by there? Chuck Fletcher…talk about full circle

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And who was Shero hired by there? Chuck Fletcher…talk about full circle
Fletcher was gone by then.

It had to be Guerin? Now that was still a buddy system hire, as Guerin was with the Pens with Shero, as both a player and in the front office after retirement.

I don't get the uproar, Even if Fletcher isn't a good GM that doesn't mean he's not suited for an advisor role. We're talking about someone with 30 years of NHL Front office experience, seems crazy to think someone with his resume shouldn't have any role in an NHL Front office.
That's the thing.

It's so easy for a guy that's been a GM in the league to get a job with another team doing something else. Something like what Fletcher is doing here, and at least 5 or 8 other former GM's are doing with other teams.

I'd love to compile of list of all GM's that were fired or lost their jobs in the last 5 years, and what they're doing now. If they're not a GM somewhere else, a decent amount of them are likely employed with another team doing the same type of work that Fletcher will be doing here/was doing here in between his Wild and Flyers GM stints.

Reactions: My3Sons

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
What I miss
IMG_7719.jpeg

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I'm sure Chuck Fletcher can be critical of himself and look back on some of his past blunders. It doesn't mean he is going to come here and ruin everything. Fitzgerald is still the top dog here and it doesn't look like that will be changing anytime soon thankfully.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Didn't Fletcher have a job here for a cup of coffee or is that a Mandela effect?

cliff fletcher

New Jersey Devils acquire
Date
Toronto Maple Leafs acquire
New_Jersey_Devils.gif
Dave Ellett
Doug Gilmour
1998 4th round pick or 1999 3rd round pick (1999 #95-Andre Lakos)
February 25, 1997​
Jason Smith
Steve Sullivan
rights to Alyn McCauley
Toronto_Maple_Leafs.gif

New Jersey Devils acquire
Date
Toronto Maple Leafs acquire
March 13, 1996​
1996 2nd round pick (#36-Marek Posmyk)
option of 1998 4th round pick or 1999 3rd round pick (1998 #113-Kristian Antila)
Toronto_Maple_Leafs.gif

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Didn't Fletcher have a job here for a cup of coffee or is that a Mandela effect?
Yes. He was in this same exact role and title for a very brief minute between his firing from Minnesota and the Flyers hiring him.

I don’t even think he was here for half a season before the Flyers plucked him from us after they fired Hextall early in the 18-19 season.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Fletcher has absolutely no idea how to build a team or value players, so he's gotta be good at something behind the scenes in order to keep getting jobs.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1