Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Sorokin lost his job last season, he’ll certainly get the chance to bounce back this year with his contract and I think he will but yeah can’t exactly put him in a top five atm

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Sorokin lost his job last season, he’ll certainly get the chance to bounce back this year with his contract and I think he will but yeah can’t exactly put him in a top five atm

he had 3 months of bad hockey vs. the rest of his career.

If you want to say he's not top 5 in the league? That's a fair debate. But in the Metro?

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Pretty good take on us from one of our rivals writers:

fading prospect Alexander Holtz

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Pretty good take on us from one of our rivals writers:

I did get a chuckle out of this observation:

“Keefe will turn loose the fast and talented New Jersey team in ways that the more buttoned-up Lindsey Ruff wouldn’t dare.”

———————-

I actually think the opposite, Keefe is going to put more limits on what players can do and it will end up getting better defense and offense out of the players.

Being too loose was dragging the team down everywhere, I think.

swiiscompos

Dec 9, 2018
London, UK
I'm moving very soon from the UK to Boston to join my wife (we've been doing almost 7 years of long distance). Looking forward to be able to go to a Devils game in person for the first time! Won't be my first time in Bruins-land as I studied there, but I wasn't into hockey at the time and thought it was cool they had just won the Stanley Cup...

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I'm moving very soon from the UK to Boston to join my wife (we've been doing almost 7 years of long distance). Looking forward to be able to go to a Devils game in person for the first time! Won't be my first time in Bruins-land as I studied there, but I wasn't into hockey at the time and thought it was cool they had just won the Stanley Cup...

The train from Boston stops just a couple blocks from the arena. You could get season tickets!!!

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Hear Ye! HEar Ye! HEAR ye! H--E--A.--R Y--E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does this man need to have a speaker implanted in his brain?????????????

Another F++ CKING LEFT D-MAN??????

A God D---ed. Center. A Center. A Center. Does it have to transmitted from the moon for this man to understand that the farm is desperate for 2 centers?

My head is swelling up to half again it's size from banging it on the wall. My kingdom for a top level #1 CENTER after which we'll settle for anything better than Filip Engaras. Let him serve the role he served last season, a competent #4 when 1 or more of the others are either injured or recalled. Right now he is one of only 4 signed centers.

If ya fill up the other end with super tall defenders the other team can’t score. *nods sagely*

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I did get a chuckle out of this observation:

“Keefe will turn loose the fast and talented New Jersey team in ways that the more buttoned-up Lindsey Ruff wouldn’t dare.”

———————-

I actually think the opposite, Keefe is going to put more limits on what players can do and it will end up getting better defense and offense out of the players.

Being too loose was dragging the team down everywhere, I think.

He said that? Yeah, that’s legit hilarious.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
We sent ours to San Jose. I think Zetterlund gets to 30 goals before Holtz.

I'm curious to see if Zetterlund loses ice time (especially PP1) with them adding Toffoli, Celebrini, and possibly Smith onto the roster this season plus a returning Logan Couture.

I don't think he'll fall off a cliff like Alexander Barabanov, but I could see Zetterlund (18:51/game last season) losing a couple minutes.

Eklund (18:40) - Granlund (20:58) - Zetterlund (18:40)
Barabanov (15:52) - Hertl (20:54) - Duclair (16:10)

PP1: Eklund (2:42) - Granlund (2:58) - Hertl (2:56) - Zetterlund (2:29) - Addison (2:03)

If I had to guess, Sharks could roll with something like:

Granlund-Couture-Toffoli
Eklund-Wennberg-Zetterlund
Kostin-Celebrini-Dellandrea

PP1: Toffoli-Couture-Granlund-Celebrini-(insert PPQB here)

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
I'm sorry

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Remember the days of the annual ''Is this the year Kovy finally comes back'' talk every single offseason? That was always a hot topic around this time of year between 2014 and 2018.

Maybe this is the year he finally comes back though, and maybe he'll score 40 goals again? If he hadn't had his contract terminated in 2013 he'd still be under contract for this coming season before it ended at the conclusion of the year. So he was going to be on the team this coming year anyway, if he hadn't asked for a termination 11 years ago. Maybe we could use him? Dat veteran leadership? Also isn't afraid to drop the gloves and stick up for teammates.

Maybe all he needed was to take 2 years off from hockey to heal his back issues that have been plaguing him for over a decade?:sarcasm:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Remember the days of the annual ''Is this the year Kovy finally comes back'' talk every single offseason? That was always a hot topic around this time of year between 2014 and 2018.

Maybe this is the year he finally comes back though, and maybe he'll score 40 goals again? If he hadn't had his contract terminated in 2013 he'd still be under contract for this coming season before it ended at the conclusion of the year. So he was going to be on the team this coming year anyway, if he hadn't asked for a termination 11 years ago. Maybe we could use him? Dat veteran leadership? Also isn't afraid to drop the gloves and stick up for teammates.

Maybe all he needed was to take 2 years off from hockey to heal his back issues that have been plaguing him for over a decade?:sarcasm:
i can't believe you posted that. i was literally just skimming the 'kovalchuk retires' parts 1-4 threads ten minutes ago.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i can't believe you posted that. i was literally just skimming the 'kovalchuk retires' parts 1-4 threads ten minutes ago.
I might have to take a spin through those. I remember being pretty pissed.

My recollection of that day on this forum right before it was announced and the thread was posted was that we had a poster who was mad over something and made a thread calling out the mods or something (I think?) for deleting one of his threads. I think he may have even listed the specific mod in his title. I can't remember who it was, but I'm pretty sure it was someone who is no longer a mod/no longer a poster here. I'm pretty sure the poster was immediately banned.

And then when that was posted, it made a few people think that guy had made a new account and was making troll threads again.:laugh:

I was here at work, where I still work today. Sitting probably in the same spot that I'm sitting right now.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
If he hadn't had his contract terminated in 2013 he'd still be under contract for this coming season
damn that is so crazy to think about. I don’t think the league handled the cap recapture stuff well, and i don’t even mean that in a Devils-centric way, but i’m glad they put year limits on NHL contracts. Someone needed to save GMs from themselves.

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017
I'm curious to see if Zetterlund loses ice time (especially PP1) with them adding Toffoli, Celebrini, and possibly Smith onto the roster this season plus a returning Logan Couture.

I don't think he'll fall off a cliff like Alexander Barabanov, but I could see Zetterlund (18:51/game last season) losing a couple minutes.

Eklund (18:40) - Granlund (20:58) - Zetterlund (18:40)
Barabanov (15:52) - Hertl (20:54) - Duclair (16:10)

PP1: Eklund (2:42) - Granlund (2:58) - Hertl (2:56) - Zetterlund (2:29) - Addison (2:03)

If I had to guess, Sharks could roll with something like:

Granlund-Couture-Toffoli
Kostin-Celebrini-Dellandrea

PP1: Toffoli-Couture-Granlund-Celebrini-(insert PPQB here)
Do you know who he played with last season? He had a good year. A shame if he's stuck with Wennberg centering his line

OlfactoryHughes

Aug 8, 2007
Northern California
You thought wrong!

((And congrats on moving over to be with your wife))

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Do you know who he played with last season? He had a good year. A shame if he's stuck with Wennberg centering his line

1721763669273.png

Perfect timing as I just saw a link to this tool on a main board thread. Looks like he was mostly centered by Mikael Granlund for most of the season with a rotating LW. Maybe he ends up with Celebrini, I just defaulted to an all Swede line since I'm a sucker for gimmicks.

San Jose Sharks captain Logan Couture worried about the future of his playing career while rehabbing a lower-body injury that's kept him out of the entire 2023-24 season.

Couture met with the media for the first time in months on Tuesday and opened up about the struggles of being sidelined for an extended period.

"I can honestly say two months ago, I would wake up and didn't know if I was ever going to play in the NHL again," he said

We'll see if Logan Couture ends up being healthy enough for the start of the season. They could probably slide in Will Smith if Couture is out.

Granlund-Celebrini-Toffoli
Kostin-W.Smith-Dellandrea
Goodrow-Sturm-Kunin
G.Smith-Grundstrom

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I might have to take a spin through those. I remember being pretty pissed.

My recollection of that day on this forum right before it was announced and the thread was posted was that we had a poster who was mad over something and made a thread calling out the mods or something (I think?) for deleting one of his threads. I think he may have even listed the specific mod in his title. I can't remember who it was, but I'm pretty sure it was someone who is no longer a mod/no longer a poster here. I'm pretty sure the poster was immediately banned.

And then when that was posted, it made a few people think that guy had made a new account and was making troll threads again.:laugh:

I was here at work, where I still work today. Sitting probably in the same spot that I'm sitting right now.
some of my takes in that thread (and that era in general) were pretty bad lol. i fully trusted lou to turn things around and sign jagr, brunner and some other clown whose name escapes me. ah, to be young again

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
some of my takes in that thread (and that era in general) were pretty bad lol. i fully trusted lou to turn things around and sign jagr, brunner and some other clown whose name escapes me. ah, to be young again
the trick to being young again is to not get old in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad