Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
Sharangovich with 3 goals and 4 assists shorthanded this season is insane...

Coleman had 4 shortys himself this season...17 SH goals for Blake's career...9 came here with NJ.

But 8 shorthanded career Goals is pretty impressive for Sharangovich in 287 games... 14 career shorthanded points total.
Love short handed goals, where is Madden all time ?

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Love short handed goals, where is Madden all time ?

all time 102 (17 as a devil, 1 with the wild) NHL & WHA Career Leaders and Records for Short-Handed Goals | Hockey-Reference.com

Screen Shot 2024-07-11 at 6.25.39 PM.png

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
If health is on our side this year I could see us being in a Presidents Trophy race; but Im not sure how the playoffs would go, still not the most experienced team

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
THE ATHLETIC Sports News gave the NJ Devils the 2nd best Off-Season Improvement grade in the NHL, 2ND behind Chicago. CHICAGO got a +51 with $26M added in salary. While the NJ Devils got a +38 with $11M added in Salary.

They speak well about the Devils being a solid playoff team primarily because of the goalie improvement. They are positive that the defensemen are a good addition and make our defense stronger. The offensive improvements are around the edges in the bottom 6 and bring more substance than what was lost.

Nice write up for the work done by our GM Fitzgerald and his team.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
If health is on our side this year I could see us being in a Presidents Trophy race; but Im not sure how the playoffs would go, still not the most experienced team
Too much change, IMO.

As you say, health willing, the team should improve.

But:

- We really have an entirely new back-end. Two new goalies. Three new defensemen.
- We'll likely be running a different system
- We lost McLeod - he was with the team for six years. It's basically him, Nico and Bratt who were the "old timers". We've been talking about the on-ice impact of losing him, but I think the locker room impact is probably under-rated.

That's a ton of change IMO. It'll take time to resolve. We'll only know how the group meshes when they have to deal with adversity. Whether that happens right away or not, who knows?

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
THE ATHLETIC Sports News gave the NJ Devils the 2nd best Off-Season Improvement grade in the NHL, 2ND behind Chicago. CHICAGO got a +51 with $26M added in salary. While the NJ Devils got a +38 with $11M added in Salary.

They speak well about the Devils being a solid playoff team primarily because of the goalie improvement. They are positive that the defensemen are a good addition and make our defense stronger. The offensive improvements are around the edges in the bottom 6 and bring more substance than what was lost.

Nice write up for the work done by our GM Fitzgerald and his team.

So I went and looked at what the Blackhawks did. That's like an entire new team with Bedard coming in along with them. :laugh:

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
Too much change, IMO.

As you say, health willing, the team should improve.

But:

- We really have an entirely new back-end. Two new goalies. Three new defensemen.
- We'll likely be running a different system
- We lost McLeod - he was with the team for six years. It's basically him, Nico and Bratt who were the "old timers". We've been talking about the on-ice impact of losing him, but I think the locker room impact is probably under-rated.

That's a ton of change IMO. It'll take time to resolve. We'll only know how the group meshes when they have to deal with adversity. Whether that happens right away or not, who knows?

Point 1 - wanted to disagree, but I can't. Though I will add that we still have 4 of last year's D. So while 3 new defensemen... only have to account for 2 per night.

Point 2 - we do have the whole off season and then preseason to figure that out. It's better than doing it in season. This is a perk, IMO.

Regarding Point 3 -
McLeod has been gone for awhile now. Whatever issues his loss has caused - that already happened. It's been 6 months.
As far as old timers / locker room guys - we should include:

Hamilton (3 seasons here, is older),
Hughes (5 seasons here),
Tatar (will be his 3rd season here - is older),
Palat (will be his 3rd season here - is older)
Haula (will be his 3rd season here - is older)

And then to a lesser degree
Meier (2nd full season here - 27 years)
Lazar (2nd full season here - 29 years)

So I will agree there is change. I don't think its as substantial as you may think. But it's also a bit more than I initially thought.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad