Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I mean sure they could but the plan is obviously for him to be on the team. You don't give him 1.15x3 if your plan is to send him down. Jettisoning Nate, never ever signing this waste of space, and having 2 guys on min deals instead would've been the smarter move and opened up another 970k in space
Actually 1.15 mill (the maximum fully buriable contract) is exactly what I would give a player who I planned to primarily keep in the AHL and call up when necessary

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Actually 1.15 mill (the maximum fully buriable contract) is exactly what I would give a player who I planned to primarily keep in the AHL and call up when necessary

Disagree. I don't think you give that guy 3 years if the the plan is he's an AHLer primarily. I think the plan is to keep him up and then sending him down is the fallback option. Keefe also just played Reaves 49 times. I think we're going to see our fair share of MacDermid

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Disagree. I don't think you give that guy 3 years if the the plan is he's an AHLer primarily. I think the plan is to keep him up and then sending him down is the fallback option. Keefe also just played Reaves 49 times. I think we're going to see our fair share of MacDermid
That plus Fitz gushed about his supposed leadership when we signed him.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
That plus Fitz gushed about his supposed leadership when we signed him.
To my eyes I think MacDemrid comes across as a serious thoughtful guy. In a young team I can see that impression being superficially appealing but leadership is obviously much more than that. Who knows how he plays in thr room or if he even tries to work the room at all.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
The least claimable contract possible without harming us is again, exactly what I would give a player I want to stash in the AHL. If you wanted to see him in the NHL, you'd have a lower AAV to save cap hit.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The least claimable contract possible without harming us is again, exactly what I would give a player I want to stash in the AHL. If you wanted to see him in the NHL, you'd have a lower AAV to save cap hit.

That's what you would give. I will be stunned if MacDermid goes to the AHL this year. This contract is allowing for the possibility that MacDermid can be demoted in future years, while also giving him the maximum amount of money that allows him to be demoted for no cap hit. To me, only some other wild circumstances on the roster or a rash of extremely selfish penalties can have him in Utica this year.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
That's what you would give. I will be stunned if MacDermid goes to the AHL this year. This contract is allowing for the possibility that MacDermid can be demoted in future years, while also giving him the maximum amount of money that allows him to be demoted for no cap hit. To me, only some other wild circumstances on the roster or a rash of extremely selfish penalties can have him in Utica this year.
Every day Kurtis Macdermid is in utica is a day where NJD is able to accrue that portion of cap space

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Every day Kurtis Macdermid is in utica is a day where NJD is able to accrue that portion of cap space

You're saying these things as if it's stuff we don't know. We know the reasons he shouldn't on the team. You don't think if the plan was for MacDermid to be in the AHL they would've signed at least another depth forward that would be another option for the roster?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I wouldn't accept 4 if I were Mercer or his agent. Maybe for 1 year certainly not for 3 years

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Again I am here to shout loud and clear for Tom Fitzgerald, our GM. Last season the Devils used everything they had to miss the playoffs.

288 mam games lost due to I juries.
They did their best to put out the worst defense and allowed 3.43 goals/game in their division.
And had a whooping .886 save percentage.

That is behind us, thanks to Fitz.
He fired the HC and staff
He got us goalies
He got us defenseman
He got us a new Head Coach
He got us a new Associate Head Coach
He got us new assistant head coaches
He got us grit in the bottom 6
Jack, Luke Nico and Jasper are a year older and hungry

I only tell you Devils' fans this stuff to remind you that I am proud of the job done by Fitz and I am ready for some playoffs.

Camille the Eel

Again I am here to shout loud and clear for Tom Fitzgerald, our GM. Last season the Devils used everything they had to miss the playoffs.

288 mam games lost due to I juries.
They did their best to put out the worst defense and allowed 3.43 goals/game in their division.
And had a whooping .886 save percentage.

That is behind us, thanks to Fitz.
He fired the HC and staff
He got us goalies
He got us defenseman
He got us a new Head Coach
He got us a new Associate Head Coach
He got us new assistant head coaches
He got us grit in the bottom 6
Jack, Luke Nico and Jasper are a year older and hungry

I only tell you Devils' fans this stuff to remind you that I am proud of the job done by Fitz and I am ready for some playoffs.
I think we kept 3 of the assistants: McGill, Taylor and Rogalski. We replaced Greene with Colliton. Greene left to become head coach in Ottawa.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Yeah, 4M seems low based on some signings

4 is on a bridge is not low when Lundell just signed for 5 over 8. 4 is the highest I go on a bridge after that shit show Mercer just gave us

Or something like 3.75, 4.75, 5.75

14.25 over 3 years

4.75 Cap hit.

Lundell only got 250k more per year for an extra 5 years. 4.75x3 is definitely too much for Mercer.

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
4 is on a bridge is not low when Lundell just signed for 5 over 8. 4 is the highest I go on a bridge after that shit show Mercer just gave us

Lundell only got 250k more per year for an extra 5 years. 4.75x3 is definitely too much for Mercer.
Yeah but Mercers camp may not agree

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I think we kept 3 of the assistants: McGill, Taylor and Rogalski. We replaced Greene with Colliton. Greene left to become head coach in Ottawa.
Hi, didn't we keep Brylin as well. I just threw in that point. He wasn't going to keep Green so I don't care how he got rid of Green but technically you are correct, Camille the Eel.

Onto the playoffs,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad