Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He apparently had two MCL injuries and a shoulder that needed surgery. How’s that archery going for you with that shoulder?
Siting the reason doesn't change the reality of what happened.

The shoulder is not good. But I have already won multiple championships ;)

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Sure he want himself last season. Let’s see what happens if he stays healthy this season.
I have already written off everything that happened last year. I think it was just an all around mess. The injuries were ridiculous and the team had a malaise that it couldn't shake.

I wasn't saying Meier sucks...I am more just frustrated that we really haven't gotten the San Jose Meier...he was coming off injury when he got here in 2023 also

Kind feel like it's always something and we are always waiting for the other shoe to drop...and I have to tell you I terrified going into the season with a 35 year old Markstrom, a 34 year old Dillon, Pesce coming off of a major injury, and Dougie coming off missing basically the entire year.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I have already written off everything that happened last year. I think it was just an all around mess. The injuries were ridiculous and the team had a malaise that it couldn't shake.

I wasn't saying Meier sucks...I am more just frustrated that we really haven't gotten the San Jose Meier...he was coming off injury when he got here in 2023 also

Kind feel like it's always something and we are always waiting for the other shoe to drop...and I have to tell you I terrified going into the season with a 35 year old Markstrom, a 34 year old Dillon, Pesce coming off of a major injury, and Dougie coming off missing basically the entire year.

Meier finished the season with 30 points in his final 26 games, after he healed from his (multiple) injuries.

He was also a beast in the playoffs last year

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
His offense game picked up at the end of February...he wasn't physical until much later though

48 of his 111 hits came after March 1st.

Here’s the Devil’s forwards hits month by month, you can see Timo’s drop in November and then they’re back up in February.

You said 2-3 weeks. 3 weeks isn’t just March.

The last game was April 15, which means “3 weeks” is March 25th-April 15th.

Meier’s bounce back started before March 25th. You’re exaggerating here.

IMG_8316.jpeg

IMG_8315.jpeg

IMG_8318.jpeg
IMG_8319.jpeg

IMG_8321.jpeg

IMG_8320.jpeg

IMG_8322.jpeg
IMG_8323.jpeg

IMG_8325.jpeg
IMG_8324.jpeg

IMG_8326.jpeg
IMG_8327.jpeg

IMG_8329.jpeg
IMG_8328.jpeg

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Here’s the Devil’s forwards hits month by month, you can see Timo’s drop in November and then they’re back up in February.

You said 2-3 weeks. 3 weeks isn’t just March.

The last game was April 15, which means “3 weeks” is March 25th-April 15th.

Meier’s bounce back started before March 25th. You’re exaggerating here.

You did all that work to prove it was 6 weeks not 3? Ok.

Unfortunately the season is 6&1/2 months not 6 weeks.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Meier finished the season with 30 points in his final 26 games, after he healed from his (multiple) injuries.

He was also a beast in the playoffs last year
4 points in 11 games, also got rocked by Trouba in game 7. How exactly was he a beast ?

I remember him being much better in the Hurricanes series though.

Looking forward to seeing how he plays this upcoming season. He played so well the 2nd half of this year though while basically being crippled as we all know. I expect him to be the teams leading goal scorer this year.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
You did all that work to prove it was 6 weeks not 3? Ok.

Unfortunately the season is 6&1/2 months not 6 weeks.

Yes, because the “2-3 weeks” was wrong and it bothered me.

It was months, not weeks. Hits were up in February.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
4 points in 11 games, also got rocked by Trouba in game 7. How exactly was he a beast ?

I remember him being much better in the Hurricanes series though.

Looking forward to seeing how he plays this upcoming season. He played so well the 2nd half of this year though while basically being crippled as we all know. I expect him to be the teams leading goal scorer this year.
Yes, he was a beast vs NYR. He was not better in the Hurricanes series. Here he is from the Rangers series:

1720141357467.png

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yes, because the “2-3 weeks” was wrong and it bothered me.

It was months, not weeks. Hits were up in February.
It was absolutely weeks and not months...

45% of his hits and 60% of his goals came after March 1st in the last 23 games of the year. The season ended April 15....it was weeks not months...6 weeks to be exact.

23 games of 82. 60% of his goal output (17) came in the last 28% of the season. Garbage time

Last edited:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Hit totals

Lol
Although hits may be somewhat of an indicator, I couldn't care less about hit totals.

I want defensemen that can clear the crease. I want skaters that can win board battles. I want forwards that aren't easily knocked off the puck. I want players that are relentless on the forecheck, and don't easily give up out blue line.

To me THAT'S the toughness that makes you hard to play against.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Although hits may be somewhat of an indicator, I couldn't care less about hit totals.

I actually agree. The other stuff is a little more nuanced. I think a lot of the stuff you listed are baseline expectations that every decent player should be expected to do..... certainly doesn't make you tough or even tough to play against

We should really stop making believe that when Fitz says "tough to play against" that it means good play... because that's not what he means and you all know it.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
We should really stop making believe that when Fitz says "tough to play against" that it means good play... because that's not what he means and you all know it.
Nope, it certainly does not, however it doesn't necessarily mean hits either. I just don't think it's a great metric.

Iean, it could mean taking a hit to make a play. Finishing your checks, which may or may not count as hits, and generally wearing down the other team.

Reactions: woody footbreaker

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Nope, it certainly does not, however it doesn't necessarily mean hits either. I just don't think it's a great metric.

Iean, it could mean taking a hit to make a play. Finishing your checks, which may or may not count as hits, and generally wearing down the other team.
Under the umbrella of "tough to play against"

Fitz has literally talked about "standing up for your teammates", "not getting pushed around", "a little more violence", "having a mean streak".. in public to reporters for all of us to see and hear...

Palat with consistent top-6 time and a healthy lineup could also maybe hit 60
60 what? Not points.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Under the umbrella of "tough to play against"

Fitz has literally talked about "standing up for your teammates", "not getting pushed around", "a little more violence", "having a mean streak".. in public to reporters for all of us to see and hear...

60 what? Not points.

60 GP ... his average per season in jersey.

120 over 2 seasons. :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad