Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You know my 3 nominees... would love to hear yours.

And I'll add one another thing...if I wore that big "C" on my chest and the GM was popping off every chance he got about being easy to play against....I would take it as a personal indictment.

Because that's what leaders do.
I'm sure Nico is one of the 3, and of the 3, he is clearly the toughest to play against. I think he plays a fairly gritty game actually, and the only reason he would be considered "easy to play against" is because he is amongst a group of 3 who in their entirety are not especially tough.

Now could Nico play tougher? Be more the aggressor instead of a guy who willingly accepts abuse? I do, and I think his body language/facial expressions would do well to transition more towards a "eff u" instead of an "ah frick". The latter point is pretty important as a captain I think.

But I don't consider Nico to be a soft player though.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I feel your pain and agree with you here, other than us “demanding thing” (aka complaining lol) doesn’t do anything.

It’s f***ing annoying that the ELC for the minors was focused on the grit and ignoring how the team is going to be dogshit without offense.

Hardman is a BC guy so I'm sure the Devils staff knows him well and Colton White grew up in the Devils organization. With jobs on the line after last season, I'm not sure a lot of time and/or energy was spent addressing the AHL club.

FWIW, Rockford fans on here were hoping Hawks would re-sign Hardman.

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
In all seriousness though, improving the depth should greatly improve the forward group. We are at our best when we can roll 4 lines and none of them are a major negative.

We had wayyyy too many games last year where we had to short the bench because too many players couldn't be trusted to take a regular shift when something was on the line, although a big part of that is score effect.

I don't want to see Jack getting like 8 minutes in the 3rd period because half the roster can't pull their weight. Guys like Noesen, Tatar, and Cotter should all help with that.

backoffwarchild

Jul 3, 2024
Hi, this is my first time posting, although I have been reading threads on here for quite some time.

For the most part, I'm happy with the moves the Devils have made this off season. However, I do think that they should make one more move to fill a spot in the top two lines.

I've seen Ross Colton's name used in conversations on here and I think that he checks off a lot of boxes. I am also aware that he makes 4 million a year and we still need to pay Mercer and Foote. I think that I have a solution.

I'm not going to get into specifics regarding trade partners, other players in trades or draft picks because I'm just not that good at assessing value, so I'll just paint some broad strokes.

First of all, Bastian and Desimone would need to go. Whether it's through trade or sending them down, we could free up approximately two million.

In order to get Colton, I think it would be feasible if two additional teams were involved in order to retain salary. If I'm not mistaken, there is a maximum of 50% that can be retained and no more than two retentions per contract. So if the first team retains 50% of the contract and an additional team retains 1/4 of the original four million per year, that would leave NJ with only a one million dollar cap hit.

Like I said, I'm not good with making trade proposals but Anaheim would be a good choice to be one of the teams taking on salary. I'm sure picks would go the other way to make it happen.

Let's say NJ trades a draft pick(s) to Colorado for Colton. Maybe Colorado sends back a pick in the trade that could be flipped to a team retaining salary? I'm bad at this, maybe someone could fill in the blanks that would make it a fair trade.

With Bastian and Desimone gone, NJ would have approximately seven million to sign Mercer and foote as well as bring in Colton at one million against the cap.

Meier/Hischier/Mercer
Colton/Hughes/Bratt
Palat/Haula/Noesen
Cotter/Lazar/Tatar

There are a lot of moving parts that can be shuffled around. I can see everyone on that 3rd line moving up to the top two lines and Colton and Mercer moving down to the 3rd line. Tatar could move up to the 3rd line as well but I'm not sure about Tatar on the top two lines. Maybe try Tatar/Hischier/Mercer and see if they still gel together.

Can this scenario work?

Thank you for you're time. I know this is a little long winded for a first post.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Hi, this is my first time posting, although I have been reading threads on here for quite some time.

For the most part, I'm happy with the moves the Devils have made this off season. However, I do think that they should make one more move to fill a spot in the top two lines.

I've seen Ross Colton's name used in conversations on here and I think that he checks off a lot of boxes. I am also aware that he makes 4 million a year and we still need to pay Mercer and Foote. I think that I have a solution.

I'm not going to get into specifics regarding trade partners, other players in trades or draft picks because I'm just not that good at assessing value, so I'll just paint some broad strokes.

First of all, Bastian and Desimone would need to go. Whether it's through trade or sending them down, we could free up approximately two million.

In order to get Colton, I think it would be feasible if two additional teams were involved in order to retain salary. If I'm not mistaken, there is a maximum of 50% that can be retained and no more than two retentions per contract. So if the first team retains 50% of the contract and an additional team retains 1/4 of the original four million per year, that would leave NJ with only a one million dollar cap hit.

Like I said, I'm not good with making trade proposals but Anaheim would be a good choice to be one of the teams taking on salary. I'm sure picks would go the other way to make it happen.

Let's say NJ trades a draft pick(s) to Colorado for Colton. Maybe Colorado sends back a pick in the trade that could be flipped to a team retaining salary? I'm bad at this, maybe someone could fill in the blanks that would make it a fair trade.

With Bastian and Desimone gone, NJ would have approximately seven million to sign Mercer and foote as well as bring in Colton at one million against the cap.

Meier/Hischier/Mercer
Colton/Hughes/Bratt
Palat/Haula/Noesen
Cotter/Lazar/Tatar

There are a lot of moving parts that can be shuffled around. I can see everyone on that 3rd line moving up to the top two lines and Colton and Mercer moving down to the 3rd line. Tatar could move up to the 3rd line as well but I'm not sure about Tatar on the top two lines. Maybe try Tatar/Hischier/Mercer and see if they still gel together.

Can this scenario work?

Thank you for you're time. I know this is a little long winded for a first post.
Welcome to the board, or at least posting on the board.

I think most of us would love to have Colton, and he's certainly been on our radars, but cap the gymnastics and asset costs for retention would be too much. I mean, he seems like a good player but the juice wouldn't be worth the squeeze.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
In all seriousness though, improving the depth should greatly improve the forward group. We are at our best when we can roll 4 lines and none of them are a major negative.

We had wayyyy too many games last year where we had to short the bench because too many players couldn't be trusted to take a regular shift when something was on the line, although a big part of that is score effect.

I don't want to see Jack getting like 8 minutes in the 3rd period because half the roster can't pull their weight. Guys like Noesen, Tatar, and Cotter should all help with that.

I mean it's not like we went into last year with lacking depth.

I don't blame the guy for looking for a multi year deal coming off the year he had. We should've signed him for the 1 year when he circled back but Fitz closed the door

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I mean it's not like we went into last year with lacking depth.

I don't blame the guy for looking for a multi year deal coming off the year he had. We should've signed him for the 1 year when he circled back but Fitz closed the door

I agree, he was coming off such a good year that I understand why he looked for more than a one year deal. We had acquired Toffoli by then and I assume we envisioned better from Holtz, so I understand why Fitz decided to move on as well.

Still couldn’t be happier he’s back, one of my favorite guys in the league. Think he’s super under appreciated for what he does.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Meier/Hischier/Mercer
Colton/Hughes/Bratt
Palat/Haula/Noesen
Cotter/Lazar/Tatar

Can this scenario work?

Welcome to HF!

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

Meier/Hischier/Mercer
Colton/Hughes/Bratt
Palat/Haula/Noesen
Cotter/Lazar/Tatar

Can this scenario work?

IMG_7065.jpeg

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Meier/Hischier/Mercer
Colton/Hughes/Bratt
Palat/Haula/Noesen
Cotter/Lazar/Tatar

Can this scenario work?

Welcome and thanks for sharing your thoughts. Colton gets a lot of love but I’m not sure how much of a difference he would be. Nice support player but it’s a lot of roster surgery and trading to make it happen. Retention seems to be an expensive ask in some of these situations. I’m sure Colorado’s net ask would be well in excess of a first with retention and more likely they’d want a solid roster player back which opens up another hole for NJ. At this point I’d be concerned about cap for Luke and would hoard assets to have something to send out if needed before next season to make room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad