Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
The Devils took the camp kids to the Jets practice facility and the comments are f***ing hilarious. Boooooooooo, why would you take them there, you’re going to ruin them, don’t do this to them, don’t expose them to this loser franchise, don’t curse them, dumpster fire or an organization,why not go to real team like Giants and on and on lol.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
That's what started the Florida stuff.... Rodriguez.

Florida can use filler we can't. Their top players are beast and can play in multiple ways....ours can't.

We need our players to be balanced out. Florida doesn't. They can punch you in the face and score 50.
Everyone has to use filler somewhere to some extent in the cap world. It’s about finding the right filler that can mesh with your top 6 I supposed and bring some different aspects.

What exactly do you mean Florida can play in multiple ways? Because I promise you Matthew Tkachuk himself can’t play a speed game. I’m not sure why you think Florida doesn’t need their players to be balanced out. They absolutely do and that’s what their top 6 filler guys did. Brought something they didn’t have enough of in their top 6.

Florida has a core group of elite bigger tougher forwards and they supplemented it with some speedier middle 6 players to make up for a lack of top end speed.

We have a speedy and skilled core 4 and could supplement it with a couple of hard nosed middle 6 guys to make up for the lack of size and physicality.

Reactions: My3Sons

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
after the fitz presser, the only thing I dont love is that Lazar is gonna center the 4th line.

his FO% last year was around 48? not bad, not great though. I wonder if theres a place where I can see how many face-offs he took this year...

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
after the fitz presser, the only thing I dont love is that Lazar is gonna center the 4th line.

his FO% last year was around 48? not bad, not great though. I wonder if theres a place where I can see how many face-offs he took this year...

They list as FOW and FOL wins and losses.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA

They list as FOW and FOL wins and losses.

thanks Jim.

thats a good amount, maybe with a full year of centering / knowing hes gonna be a center, he can improve that this summer. would be great if we can get that up over 50 percent.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK

1720051139437.png

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
The Devils took the camp kids to the Jets practice facility and the comments are f***ing hilarious. Boooooooooo, why would you take them there, you’re going to ruin them, don’t do this to them, don’t expose them to this loser franchise, don’t curse them, dumpster fire or an organization,why not go to real team like Giants and on and on lol.
1720051305796.gif

1-0 Buffalo

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
Nothing about playing Jack and Bratt is easy. They're probably both top 10 skaters (skating ability) in the league. And saying Nico is easy to play against when he's consistently in the selke conversation is ridiculous. Until this team has 6 tom wilsons in the top 6 people will say we're soft.

Every team is a "regular season" team until they win the cup. Remember when the Lightning lost in 4 to CBus?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
🎶Let me sing you a story about a guy named Jim,

Who argues in circles, likes to reel you in,

But if you give him a bourbon, and with some archerrrrrrryyyyyyy…

You’ll eat venison burgers for weeks on for free…🎶
After I read your lines I immediately heard in my head “Deer that is!” In place of “Hills that is!”.:laugh:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Everyone has to use filler somewhere to some extent in the cap world. It’s about finding the right filler that can mesh with your top 6 I supposed and bring some different aspects.

What exactly do you mean Florida can play in multiple ways? Because I promise you Matthew Tkachuk himself can’t play a speed game. I’m not sure why you think Florida doesn’t need their players to be balanced out. They absolutely do and that’s what their top 6 filler guys did. Brought something they didn’t have enough of in their top 6.

Florida has a core group of elite bigger tougher forwards and they supplemented it with some speedier middle 6 players to make up for a lack of top end speed.

We have a speedy and skilled core 4 and could supplement it with a couple of hard nosed middle 6 guys to make up for the lack of size and physicality.
I just don't believe that you can balance the top 6 bottom adding the physical element to the bottom 6.

Those guys in the top 6 need to be your best players on most nights those are going to the guys that get the big minutes...and if they are going to be mostly soft and easy to play against with no physical element they're just not going to match up well against certain teams.

I don't think that is a recipe for post season success. It may serve us well for the majority of the regular season but even in the regular season we'll see the problem...then in the playoffs when everyone plays like those teams we didn't matchup well against, it'll become even more glaring.

I was a little shocked by how physical the East was in these playoffs. The playoffs are always tighter and more physical but this year there seemed to be an extra bit of nastiness that I don't remember for a long time. Every series I watched I thought I couldn't imagine the Devils playing this type of game.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
:huh: I've been begging for Fitz to just get us one AHL #1 center for this the 4th year and you want him to load up on them.
The only centers on the roster are the same 4 they finished the season with:
- Dowling
- Schmelzer
- Bowers
- Engaras
The first 3 on this list are Vets by AHL rules. Only Dowling can be considered a quality AHL center and he would be a #2 on most teams. There are no NJ prospect centers here.

The Comets already have 4 vets under contract (RD Colton White is he other. A good center is likely a vet. They can only play 5 vets with 1 VE. They don't have a VE at the moment. That gives them 2 openings and the FA centers are flying off the shelves.

There are also 2 VET D-men in the wings that have been brought back all 3 seasons, Wotherspoon and Russo. The Comets roster currently list 6 D-men. 2 are rookies, Casey and Diotte, 2 others are in their 2nd pro seasons in Vilen and Misyul, and Hatakka (4th yr) would join White as the 2 experienced D-men. They need at least 2 more and would have to expect them to have time on their resumes and 1 likely a vet DeSimone would fill that spot if NJ were to try and slip him down through waivers with the mass cuts all the teams make before solidifying their rosters. That would leave Hatkka (LD) and DeSimone (RD) as the 2 D Call-ups for the Devils.

As for centers it's Dowling and Bowers. Happy with that? That's all there is and we are not happy with that either. Schmelzer has perfomed as the best Comets' center and he is really a #3 (and a damned good #3) when building a solid AHL roster.

Bastian, DeSimone, and MacDermid are all Vets by AHL rules.
With the acquisition of Kovacevic I've seen posts sending MacDermind to Utica.
I've Seen posts advocating sending the other 2 there as well.
The reason is to make cap space for another wing. Send any one of them and the Vet number is over the legal limit for a game. Many believe 2 of the 3 should get a chance to clear waivers for the same reason, both Bastian and McDermid while holding onto DeSimone because they consider him important as the right side backup. This means carry 8 D and 13 F.

The Devils now have a good group on D with solid backups. There's not a lot of forward depth here to provide the Devils with much and there are no centers that are NHL effective on any line. That point was made crystal clear last season and those are the guys that will be available again + Mike Hardman.

Maybe some of you guys could start demanding the acquisition of some FA centers for the farm that the Devils might find bottom 6 capable if injuries strike the Devils and we know from experience that it's possible at any time.

I feel your pain and agree with you here, other than us “demanding thing” (aka complaining lol) doesn’t do anything.

It’s f***ing annoying that the ELC for the minors was focused on the grit and ignoring how the team is going to be dogshit without offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad