Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
This is disingenuous. I made one statement implying I wouldn’t be surprised a Noesen or Cotter can do well with Jack and Bratt as a testament to how good Jack and Bratt are. I also pointed out how random wingers around the league have a random outburst of goal scoring with elite talent. Noesen and Cotter had previous seasons of good goal rates while playing a small role. Thats literally all I said to make an argument it could work out.

So “dying on a hill” is completely disingenuous.

Then Bob of course always being disingenuous by focusing on Cotter and a random goal number and saying LOL FUNNIEST SHIT EVER while completely ignoring my overall argument that the likes of a Jack and Bratt can still do very well with random wingers and get those random wingers to produce over their career averages.

All semantics anyways because I doubt Noesen and Cotter will be in the top 6 a significant above of time. My point is they may not be out of place when they have to and possibly have a good goal output if they stick there and it works.

Woof…

let's f***ing gooo!

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Then give me

Noesen Hughes Bratt
Palat/Tatar Hischier Meier
Tatar/Palat Haula Mercer
Cotter Lazar Bastian/Foote/Mac

Thats enough oomph up and down the lineup
Isn’t that what Patrick Henry said in the lead up to the American Revolution? Give me liberty or Tuna with Hischier! Something like that anyway

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
IMG_4816.gif

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
LOL I don’t think that one lasted too long

I was gonna say Parise over Tatar would have tempted me if he wasn’t already retired but he was actually worse than Tatar last year

Reactions: My3Sons

Homedresser

Proverbs 26:4-5
Dec 7, 2021
The forwards are gonna be a patchwork in the sense the top 6 winger to Jack will most likely be a revolving door besides Bratt, the defense and Markstrom will have to carry them to the deadline. They'll get goals, Dougie back will assure their powerplay will get back to top 10. I also think Keefe will get them to play a bit more defensive but we'll see.
the whole season depends on your last point. I don't think there's group of forwards less interested in playing D then this group has been. With the exception of Nico, the other 5 "top 6" have no interest in playing D. Curious to see if Keefe can get them to do it. I have my doubts though.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Getting a winger like Tatar (or Sprong if they went that route) should be to keep Haula at C.

I would love another NHL center but it will be difficult. At minimum, Fitz should be stocking up on AHL centers, and we see what reveals itself on the trade market.
:huh: I've been begging for Fitz to just get us one AHL #1 center for this the 4th year and you want him to load up on them.
The only centers on the roster are the same 4 they finished the season with:
- Dowling
- Schmelzer
- Bowers
- Engaras
The first 3 on this list are Vets by AHL rules. Only Dowling can be considered a quality AHL center and he would be a #2 on most teams. There are no NJ prospect centers here.

The Comets already have 4 vets under contract (RD Colton White is he other. A good center is likely a vet. They can only play 5 vets with 1 VE. They don't have a VE at the moment. That gives them 2 openings and the FA centers are flying off the shelves.

There are also 2 VET D-men in the wings that have been brought back all 3 seasons, Wotherspoon and Russo. The Comets roster currently list 6 D-men. 2 are rookies, Casey and Diotte, 2 others are in their 2nd pro seasons in Vilen and Misyul, and Hatakka (4th yr) would join White as the 2 experienced D-men. They need at least 2 more and would have to expect them to have time on their resumes and 1 likely a vet DeSimone would fill that spot if NJ were to try and slip him down through waivers with the mass cuts all the teams make before solidifying their rosters. That would leave Hatkka (LD) and DeSimone (RD) as the 2 D Call-ups for the Devils.

As for centers it's Dowling and Bowers. Happy with that? That's all there is and we are not happy with that either. Schmelzer has perfomed as the best Comets' center and he is really a #3 (and a damned good #3) when building a solid AHL roster.

Bastian, DeSimone, and MacDermid are all Vets by AHL rules.
With the acquisition of Kovacevic I've seen posts sending MacDermind to Utica.
I've Seen posts advocating sending the other 2 there as well.
The reason is to make cap space for another wing. Send any one of them and the Vet number is over the legal limit for a game. Many believe 2 of the 3 should get a chance to clear waivers for the same reason, both Bastian and McDermid while holding onto DeSimone because they consider him important as the right side backup. This means carry 8 D and 13 F.

The Devils now have a good group on D with solid backups. There's not a lot of forward depth here to provide the Devils with much and there are no centers that are NHL effective on any line. That point was made crystal clear last season and those are the guys that will be available again + Mike Hardman.

Maybe some of you guys could start demanding the acquisition of some FA centers for the farm that the Devils might find bottom 6 capable if injuries strike the Devils and we know from experience that it's possible at any time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad