Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I agree with the premise that Bratt is a soft skill perimeter player. I pray Keefe can add a little more grease to his game than Lindy ever did. Playoffs are a different game, regular season open ice be damned

Bratt was one of our strongest players in the corners and on the boards last year. We was tossing guys that had 30 lbs. on him. He is absolutely the last player to be worried about.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I got 13 in 55 as less than 20 over 82 but whatever. Zero chance at 25 have you seen him play
Zero chance this zero chance that. Zero chance you have an idea what a zero chance is with any player as usual. That is not how statistics works when it comes to hockey bud.

Now Cam Janssen would be accurate to say him getting 25 goals is a zero chance. :popcorn::D:popcorn:

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
CV and ERod are not the same.

CV:
IMG_9547.jpeg

Looking back at the 2016 draft, Bratt is doing ok for himself:
IMG_9548.jpeg

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
The amount of shit people post without knowing context is hilarious

Me saying I wouldn’t be surprised Cotter could hit 25 when playing with top talent wasn’t based in fantasy land. It was literally based on a season where he had bottom 6 mins and had a 20 goal pace.

JFC

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Dying on the Cotter can score 25 goals hill is pretty weird though…pacing for something (and lower than 25 at that) isn’t the same thing as doing it. Getting to 25 requires exceeding your highest pace by a good amount.

Reactions: Hisch13r

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Dying on the Cotter can score 25 goals hill is pretty weird though…pacing for something (and lower than 25 at that) isn’t the same thing as doing it
This is disingenuous. I made one statement implying I wouldn’t be surprised a Noesen or Cotter can do well with Jack and Bratt as a testament to how good Jack and Bratt are. I also pointed out how random wingers around the league have a random outburst of goal scoring with elite talent. Noesen and Cotter had previous seasons of good goal rates while playing a small role. Thats literally all I said to make an argument it could work out.

So “dying on a hill” is completely disingenuous.

Then Bob of course always being disingenuous by focusing on Cotter and a random goal number and saying LOL FUNNIEST SHIT EVER while completely ignoring my overall argument that the likes of a Jack and Bratt can still do very well with random wingers and get those random wingers to produce over their career averages.

All semantics anyways because I doubt Noesen and Cotter will be in the top 6 a significant above of time. My point is they may not be out of place when they have to and possibly have a good goal output if they stick there and it works.

Woof…

Last edited:

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
I'm hoping Cotter's flashes of talent (and yeas, watching him on Vegas last year, every so often he made a "wow" play) make him sort of a Randy McKay type acquisition.

I remember when Lamoriello acquired McKay a looooooong time ago (from Detroit for Troy Crowder). McKay was, at the time, considered mostly a goon but he had some flashes of excellent 200-foot play and play with the puck. And McKay turned into a key factor for 2 NJ Stanley Cups. He scored a lot of big goals for the Devils.

Is it impossible for Cotter to become a 15-20 goal guy? I don't think so. I really like him. But I guess we will see how it unfolds this year.
I like this post. The goal is to find these types of players before they breakout. The Marchments, Joshua's, Hartman's, don't all start out as top players but once do, they become real expensive, everyone wants em and no one wants to get rid of them. Hopefully Cotter can become that type of player for us, seem as he and Fitz think there's still lots of room to grow.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is disingenuous. I made one statement implying I wouldn’t be surprised a Noesen or Cotter can do well with Jack and Bratt as a testament to how good Jack and Bratt are. I also pointed out how random wingers around the league have a random outburst of goal scoring with elite talent. Noesen and Cotter had previous seasons of good goal rates while playing a small role. Thats literally all I said to make an argument it could work out.

So “dying on a hill” is completely disingenuous.

Then Bob of course always being disingenuous by focusing on Cotter and a random goal number and saying LOL FUNNIEST SHIT EVER while completely ignoring my overall argument that Jack and Bratt can still do very well with random wingers and get those random wingers to produce over their career averages.

All semantics anyways because I doubt Noesen and Cotter will be in the top 6 a significant above of time. My point is they may not be out of place when they have to.

Woof…
If people stopped mocking each other and arguing the poster instead of the post these ‘debates’ wouldn’t get so over the top. I also thought it was more of you making the same argument since so many of these posts popped up at once. Your hypothetical needs like three things at once to happen:

-Getting more icetime than he ever has
-Scoring more than he ever has
-Maintaining that over 82 games, which he’s never done

Maybe one or two of those can happen but all three is a stretch on paper, theoretically anything could happen but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Where do we draw the line on the pacing argument? A guy plays one game, scores one goal and he’s pacing for 82. In theory anyone will score more with more icetime but it doesn’t always work that way. Holtz is more likely to score 25 goals ‘if’ he started getting closer to 15 minutes with power play time and I don’t think that’s happening either. Sometimes there’s a reason guys don’t make it above the bottom six.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hisch13r

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
If people stopped arguing the poster instead of the post these ‘debates’ wouldn’t get so over the top. I also thought it was more of you making the same argument since so many of these posts popped up. Your hypothetical needs like three things at once to happen:

-Getting more icetime than he ever has
-Scoring more than he ever has
-Maintaining that over 82 games, which he’s never done

Maybe one or two of those can happen but all three is a stretch on paper, theoretically anything could happen but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Where do we draw the line on the pacing argument? A guy plays one game, scores one goal and he’s pacing for 82. In theory anyone will score more with more icetime but it doesn’t always work that way. Holtz is more likely to score 25 goals ‘if’ he started getting closer to 15 minutes with power play time and I don’t think that’s happening either. Sometimes there’s a reason guys don’t make it above the bottom six.
Again, I am not the one dying on a hill here.

I made my point. I wouldn’t be surprised to see one of those two have a big goal outburst IF they get constant top 6 time (most likely they won’t get that role)

Me not being surprised ≠ It will happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad