Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
@JimEIV

Also, Florida just won with Rodrigues and Verhaegae on their top 6. They are good players but nothing special, they just work well with the Panthers top 6 stars. Would anyone be surprised for a Noesen or Cotter to become a 25 goal scorer playing with Jack Bratt or Nico?

I wouldn’t be. Its all about finding good chemistry.

Cotter would be a nasty play in the top 6, that's almost as bad the toilet paper lineups from 2015-2020ish. But who knows lol

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Bratt is also not purely perimeter either.
It was purely before the last couple of seasons...his game has matured a lot over the last few seasons at both ends of the ice...he still a very soft player that stays out of traffic...

It's not a big deal individually and the levels of softness vary from Jack to Bratt to Nico but as a whole it makes for a very gentlemanly top 6...not a lot of jam or abrasiveness...quite pleasant to play against. Like a Sunday afternoon tennis match.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
@JimEIV

Also, Florida just won with Rodrigues and Verhaegae on their top 6. They are good players but nothing special, they just work well with the Panthers top 6 stars. Would anyone be surprised for a Noesen or Cotter to become a 25 goal scorer playing with Jack Bratt or Nico?

That's what started the Florida stuff.... Rodriguez.

Florida can use filler we can't. Their top players are beast and can play in multiple ways....ours can't.

We need our players to be balanced out. Florida doesn't. They can punch you in the face and score 50.

• Haha
Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Jack and Bratt just needs a garbage man who can keep up. We shall see what happens

Ya, maybe. I lowkey think they need an efficient shooter. Both of them can set up tremendously but they just need a guy who can skate/has a lethal shot. Easier said than done but we'll see who shakes free at the deadline. The power forward thing is tiring imo especially Brady Tkachuk

It was purely before the last couple of seasons...his game has matured a lot over the last few seasons at both ends of the ice...he still a very soft player that stays out of traffic...

It's not a big deal individually and the levels of softness vary from Jack to Bratt to Nico but as a whole it makes for a very gentlemanly top 6...not a lot of jam or abrasiveness...quite pleasant to play against. Like a Sunday afternoon tennis match.

Jack was the second best player v Carolina in 2023 and he was on the verge of missing game 5 with injury because of Slavin actively trying to hurt him, missed board in game 4. If you want to call him glass, sure, he needs to show he can survive seasons without dying but he's not "soft"

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Then give me

Noesen Hughes Bratt
Palat/Tatar Hischier Meier
Tatar/Palat Haula Mercer
Cotter Lazar Bastian/Foote/Mac

Thats enough oomph up and down the lineup

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
@JimEIV

I don’t think Rodrigues and Verhaeghe are the same. I think CV is a top 6 staple as compared to Rodrigues being that guy who can plug in and play with the right guys if needed. CV is going to get paaaaaid this next offseason.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Ya, maybe. I lowkey think they need an efficient shooter. Both of them can set up tremendously but they just need a guy who can skate/has a lethal shot. Easier said than done but we'll see who shakes free at the deadline. The power forward thing is tiring imo especially Brady Tkachuk

Jack was the second best player v Carolina in 2023 and he was on the verge of missing game 5 with injury because of Slavin actively trying to hurt him, missed board in game 4. If you want to call him glass, sure, he needs to show he can survive seasons without dying but he's not "soft"
We got smoked vs Carolina I sat through that first game in Raleigh....it was painful. I got drunk.

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
We got smoked vs Carolina I sat through that first game in Raleigh....it was painful. I got drunk.
IMG_4350.jpeg

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Then give me

Noesen Hughes Bratt
Palat/Tatar Hischier Meier
Tatar/Palat Haula Mercer
Cotter Lazar Bastian/Foote/Mac

Thats enough oomph up and down the lineup

The forwards are gonna be a patchwork in the sense the top 6 winger to Jack will most likely be a revolving door besides Bratt, the defense and Markstrom will have to carry them to the deadline. They'll get goals, Dougie back will assure their powerplay will get back to top 10. I also think Keefe will get them to play a bit more defensive but we'll see.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I'll give you Jack, but not Nico (and not much of Bratt)

Bratt is also not purely perimeter either. He works really hard in the corners and has gained strength over the last few years and is effective for his size, down low. He often generates nice passes from below the goal line to a guy who puts it away after grinding it out cycling behind the net.

That stuff is like a massive reason Bratt made the roster as a freshly turned 19 year old 6th rounder

NjDevsRR

Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
That stuff is like a massive reason Bratt made the roster as a freshly turned 19 year old 6th rounder
I remember attending prospect camp in 2017 and was absolutely blown away by Bratt and posted on here that he will be a legit top line winger in this league

What a pick

Reactions: Hisch13r

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I'll give you Jack, but not Nico (and not much of Bratt)

Bratt is also not purely perimeter either. He works really hard in the corners and has gained strength over the last few years and is effective for his size, down low. He often generates nice passes from below the goal line to a guy who puts it away after grinding it out cycling behind the net.

The assists v NYR are some of the best plays made from a forward last year tbh. Only thing better was that Timo hand to one handed stick goal this year imo

LOL @ the OT v Boston where he body bagged Lindholm

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Cotter would be a nasty play in the top 6, that's almost as bad the toilet paper lineups from 2015-2020ish. But who knows lol
I'm hoping Cotter's flashes of talent (and yeas, watching him on Vegas last year, every so often he made a "wow" play) make him sort of a Randy McKay type acquisition.

I remember when Lamoriello acquired McKay a looooooong time ago (from Detroit for Troy Crowder). McKay was, at the time, considered mostly a goon but he had some flashes of excellent 200-foot play and play with the puck. And McKay turned into a key factor for 2 NJ Stanley Cups. He scored a lot of big goals for the Devils.

Is it impossible for Cotter to become a 15-20 goal guy? I don't think so. I really like him. But I guess we will see how it unfolds this year.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I'm hoping Cotter's flashes of talent (and yeas, watching him on Vegas last year, every so often he made a "wow" play) make him sort of a Randy McKay type acquisition.

I remember when Lamoriello acquired McKay a looooooong time ago (from Detroit for Troy Crowder). McKay was, at the time, considered mostly a goon but he had some flashes of excellent 200-foot play and play with the puck. And McKay turned into a key factor for 2 NJ Stanley Cups. He scored a lot of big goals for the Devils.

Is it impossible for Cotter to become a 15-20 goal guy? I don't think so. I really like him. But I guess we will see how it unfolds this year.

If he gives us a Stevie Bernier or Ryan Carter esque type role with more physicality from the 4th line , I'm content. Expecting the guy to be a Swiss Army knife, like Zetterlund was, is setting him up for failure

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Excuse me Charlottesville not Charlotte.

Lets hope Mercer takes the next step and cements hims as a legit top 6er. If that happens then the bottom 6 will be even better for it
There is really no room for him if Bratt and Meier both play RW

Devils Pride 26

BrickCityHockey*****
Jan 12, 2008
NJ
I agree with the premise that Bratt is a soft skill perimeter player. I pray Keefe can add a little more grease to his game than Lindy ever did. Playoffs are a different game, regular season open ice be damned

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
@JimEIV

This post is actually some of the funniest stuff I have seen ever. You think there is a chance one paul cotter can score 25 nhl goals in a single season LOL. Literally zero chance this happens.
Maybe you didn’t notice he scored 7 goals in 70+games last year. Topped off his season by being a healthy scratch to top it off.
Shouldn’t be surprised that you think verhaeghe is nothing special. The guy is clutch and would play top six on any NHL team

Reactions: JimEIV

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
This post is actually some of the funniest stuff I have seen ever. You think there is a chance one paul cotter can score 25 nhl goals in a single season LOL. Literally zero chance this happens.
Maybe you didn’t notice he scored 7 goals in 70+games last year. Topped off his season by being a healthy scratch to top it off.
Shouldn’t be surprised that you think verhaeghe is nothing special. The guy is clutch and would play top six on any NHL team
And then he had 13 goals in 55 games the year before. So about 21 goals adjust over a full season, so yes it is possible he could reach 25 goals. Not a 0 chance it can happen "LOL"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad