Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002

I kind of wished a journalist asked Fitz about Nemec and where he fits with Dougie back.

Does he see him as a regular NHLer (which I think would be his likely response) or someone that plays back in AHL to further develop his game, which the team can actually do with Kovacevic a capable 3RD and DeSimone a 7th D.

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
I'm pleased with the roster .. this should be a really good team. Anything short of the playoffs is a major fail, but I don't suspect we will be on the outside of the playoffs this time around. Fitz basically said he's done in FA, but will keep his eyes and ears open to any potential deals that come his way. He said he's got the cap flexibility needed to make moved if needed.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
From the 22-23 team we have lost:

Severson, Graves --> Dillon, Pesce (lateral/upgrade)
Bahl, Marino --> Luke, Nemec (upgrade imo, and not even close when they develop)
Vitek,Schmid --> Markstrom, Allen (lateral move from what they played like in 22-23)
Yegor, Wood --> Noesen, Cotter (I'd say upgrade from what they were in 22-23)

The only real loss from that 22-23 team is Michael McLeod, who we have not been able to replace. An excellent 3/4C is a big need rn. And I'm not sure it's coming along in the prospect pool. I would ironically be all over Ryan McLeod as a replacement. Also a guy like Krebs, or in the shorter term a Sturm/Evans/Kampf.
Tatar isnt the same Tatar as he was. Mercer should return to his 22-23 level but we dont know, at least yet. I believe he will. Palat and Haula are two years older too. So I believe its not a full step forward in terms of offense. But I think its a big step forward in defense and goaltending. So may be not so flashy offensive game, but should be more steady physical defensive game.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Nah. Palat can be just fine on Nico’s line. Excellent defensive player. Evan Rodrigues was a “top 6” player with Florida and played an unsexy supportive role and only had 12 goals 39 points. You need lines that fit together, not sure why you’re so fixated on individual production. Just score more than the other team.
Florida's top 6 is beastly. Compared to us we're like little league players... Filler top 6 player makes more sense for a more complete team....our top 6 is loaded with little soft easy to play against guys. Our guys need much more supplementation than Florida does

Reactions: mdj12784

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I kind of wished a journalist asked Fitz about Nemec and where he fits with Dougie back.

Does he see him as a regular NHLer (which I think would be his likely response) or someone that plays back in AHL to further develop his game, which the team can actually do with Kovacevic a capable 3RD and DeSimone a 7th D.
Considering he called Kovacevic the 7th D, talked about Nemec and Luke taking a step this upcoming season, and praised how well Nemec did last year, it’s safe to say he sees Nemec as an NHL regular as we all already assumed.

I'm pleased with the roster .. this should be a really good team. Anything short of the playoffs is a major fail, but I don't suspect we will be on the outside of the playoffs this time around. Fitz basically said he's done in FA, but will keep his eyes and ears open to any potential deals that come his way. He said he's got the cap flexibility needed to make moved if needed.
I think the flexibility he was talking about was more geared towards during the season and at the deadline.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Florida's top 6 is beastly. Compared to us were like little league players... Filler top 6 player makes more sense for a more complete team....our top 6 is loaded with little soft easy to play against guys. Our guys need much more supplementation than Florida does
Oh, okay. I was under the impression that Jack Hughes was one of the best players in the entire sport (4th highest Hart odds in the league), Nico Hischier was a season removed from a top 2 Selke finish, and Jesper Bratt and Timo Meier were two of the top wings in the league. I didn’t know they were just little league players.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Oh, okay. I was under the impression that Jack Hughes was one of the best players in the entire sport (4th highest Hart odds in the league), Nico Hischier was a season removed from a top 2 Selke finish, and Jesper Bratt and Timo Meier were two of the top wings in the league. I didn’t know they were just little league players.
He’s just throwing out vague exaggerated words. lol Florida’s top 6 is beastly.

I also don’t think there’s a defensemen in the league who would say Jack Hughes or Jesper Bratt are easy to play against.

Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I like you, and I like advanced stats, and I like fancy schmancy charts. But I cannot believe that there are people who think that Palat is anything other than an ugly contract taking the place of what could've been a true top-6 winger or 3rd line center to round out the roster.

He has 19 goals and 35 assists since being signed by the Devils. For $6m, that's a pretty solid if not underwhelming season. But that's what he's produced in his first two seasons in NJ.

Why there is this expectation that an injury prone player is going to provide positive value on his contract for his age 33, 34, and 35 seasons is legitimately baffling to me. There is not a chart on this planet that can convince me otherwise.

The Devils would immediately be searching for a Palat-like player to take Palat's place. It's unfortunate that he has had some injuries, but none of his injuries seem chronic - he'll miss a few games because he plays physical and is an older player.

$6M is too much for what Palat provides, but it's very easy to pretend that they could easily replace him when they could not do that. Palat works on any line, he's a positive territorial impact player, he hasn't scored enough goals, but he has done everything else asked of him. He grinds in the corners and can make plays off the boards. It might be nice to have a better boxcars player, but that player is almost certainly not as good as Palat defensively.

Maybe after next season this won't be true anymore - plenty of players Palat's age have fallen apart around this time - but after his first two seasons he's provided everything the Devils could want except for a few goals.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Nico, Jack and Bratt are soft and easy to play against. Just the truth.

Meier is not... but if you can clone him and get him on two different lines that would go a long way.

Team is definitely good enough to make the playoffs but our top 6 is still very flawed and will be super easy to shutdown in the playoffs.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Meier is not... but if you can clone him and get him on two different lines that would go a long way.

Team is definitely good enough to make the playoffs but our top 6 is still very flawed and will be super easy to shutdown in the playoffs.
“Easy to play against” is the new stupid buzz phrase people like to throw around. No other sport describes objectively terrific players in this silly way. Luka Doncic is so easy to play against bro, he’s soft and can’t defend.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Considering he called Kovacevic the 7th D, talked about Nemec and Luke taking a step this upcoming season, and praised how well Nemec did last year, it’s safe to say he sees Nemec as an NHL regular as we all already assumed.
Agree. He was pretty effusive about Nemec. Fitz wanted Nemec's contract to slide - said that was important from the business side. But, Nemec played too well after Dougie went down. He also said he was expecting those "two players" - meaning Luke and Nemec - to take a step forward this year.

I feel a bit bad for DeSimone. As you said, Fitz talked about the top six, then said "seven including Kovacevic". I could see the Devils picking up a veteran LD and waiving DeSimone. I'm sure the Devils would be happy to have DeSimone in the minors given the lack of RD depth in Utica. But, it can't be a great feeling for DeSimone knowing that he's got 4 NHL RD ahead of him.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Agree. He was pretty effusive about Nemec. Fitz wanted Nemec's contract to slide - said that was important from the business side. But, Nemec played too well after Dougie went down. He also said he was expecting those "two players" - meaning Luke and Nemec - to take a step forward this year.

I feel a bit bad for DeSimone. As you said, Fitz talked about the top six, then said "seven including Kovacevic". I could see the Devils picking up a veteran LD and waiving DeSimone. I'm sure the Devils would be happy to have DeSimone in the minors given the lack of RD depth in Utica. But, it can't be a great feeling for DeSimone knowing that he's got 4 NHL RD ahead of him.
Desimone is getting waived already without another LD but he signed the first one-way contract of his career at almost 30 years old. He may have been told he would be expected to start in the AHL.

I’m sure he’s pretty happy to be guarenteed making an NHL salary for the first time in his career even if he’s in the AHL as a call-up.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Nico is nowhere easy to play against. He is winning most of the board battles, he is covering tonns of ice, he is punishing for mistakes because he is reading the game absolutely well. He will not throw hits, but its a only one part of many things you can call "hard to play against". He will not throw hit, he will stop the offense, he will push opponents to the board and will take the puck away in the board battle. Those Selkie votes and advanced numbers are not taking from the air. He is very hard player to play against even if his hit rate is low.
Bratt, Jack - yeah, their numbers are going from their control of the puck. But overall having to players like Meier and Hischier and two players like Bratt and Jack is a huge advance. From hard to play against point of view.
Mercer isnt hard to play against. And he should learn more.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
“Easy to play against” is the new stupid buzz phrase people like to throw around. No other sport describes objectively terrific players in this silly way. Luka Doncic is so easy to play against bro, he’s soft and can’t defend.
Ok let's not use buzz words...these players are all slightly different in there deficiencies but the end result is the same. Soft and easy to play against.

They each lack any physical element. They each don't stand up for themselves...Nico will go into the dirty areas on occasion but it's not really his game..the other two don't and have often displayed the alligator arm syndrome. Nico can win battles and so can Bratt to a degree, but none of them are going bang for loose pucks in the corners...

Both Jack and Bratt skate around people as opposed to through them...making keeping them on the perimeter relatively easy. Especially in the playoffs when there is less space and more attention to detail.

Those players need a counter-balance to their style. They can't play the game in every way and they absolutely need linemates that can make up for the difference.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Desimone is getting waived already without another LD but he signed the first one-way contract of his career at almost 30 years old. He may have been told he would be expected to start in the AHL.

I’m sure he’s pretty happy to be guarenteed making an NHL salary for the first time in his career even if he’s in the AHL as a call-up.
I didn't realize he was turning 30 this year. I think you're right on all.

Still, he got 34 NHL games last year. If he were in Anaheim, I think he'd get regular time. I could see Anaheim claiming him given their lack of right shot D. I thought he was a reasonable fill-in, so would love to keep him around.

Reactions: My3Sons

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Ehh well hockey is different than other sports. Most sports you aren't randomly in physical battles trying to outmuscle each other to come away with the advantage. You can be insanely good skill wise, but thrown on your ass by 99% of the league in a board battle. Relentlessness and strength go a long way unless you have no skill. Skill without it can still make you one of the best players in the league.

"Easy to play against" doesn't mean it in the sense of easy to defend. Coleman is harder to play against in the sense it's being talked about than Jack, but Jack is way better at almost everything obviously. That is the best way to explain "easy to play against."

Nico fits the mold, he doesn't hit but he is relentless when battling for pucks and seemingly has the strength to come out with it most the time. Jim is wrong about Nico.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

eyes on the prize :scared:

Screen Shot 2024-07-03 at 2.09.00 PM.png

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Matthew Tkachuk was easy to play against from 2016-2021 when he had 15 points in 27 playoff games (-11).
I think you are deliberately missing the meaning because you take it as he is saying those guys suck. He isn't say get them off the team or take them off the line because they are "easy to play against." He is saying add someone with strength to them. Compliment them.

Reactions: JimEIV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad