Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Short press conference. Didn't hear anyone confirm with Fitz if he is actually done or not, but I guess its implied. Was hoping someone would ask him if he was looking to bring in another depth center given the dearth of options we have.
He did emphasize twice he didn’t think the offense needed too much help so that combined with the stuff he’s done elsewhere pretty much says that anyway

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It was in jest, but he said he spoke with Dan Mackinnon and said what do you think, the big defenseman or the Finnish center? And he basically said "the defenseman is 6'7" and skates incredibly so we're taking him".
That did give me a little PTSD from Shero saying David Conte would have lost it if we didn’t pick Zacha. Even with how loose lipped Fitz is, I’m surprised he was that transparent about #10

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
After all this talks they clearly drafting for needs.

They should start to draft for higher potential. There are enough of pieces. May be center are huge need. But we have no first and may be we will have no seconds next year(looks like wpg pick will be traded before april), so they will have no chance to try to draft really solid centers. So I hope at least next draft they will target TALENTS. The biggest need of our system.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Until he isn't and starts playing like Holtz....

too soon? :sarcasm:
take-a-hike-you-bum-otto.gif

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Until he isn't and starts playing like Holtz....

too soon? :sarcasm:
Jesper Bratt through the age of 22
4 seasons - 231 games - 44 goals - 86 assist 130 points

Dawson Mercer through the age of 22
3 seasons 246 games - 64 goals - 67 assist 131 points

Ohh we forget the days of no defense and healthy scratch Bratt

Reactions: Guadana

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Ya that’s probably around what Mercer would get for 6 years. Slightly higher maybe if it’s 8.
Gonna be less than that for 2 or 3 years I’m guessing.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
After all this talks they clearly drafting for needs.

They should start to draft for higher potential. There are enough of pieces. May be center are huge need. But we have no first and may be we will have no seconds next year(looks like wpg pick will be traded before april), so they will have no chance to try to draft really solid centers. So I hope at least next draft they will target TALENTS. The biggest need of our system.
I know we traded our 1st to Calgary as part of the Markstrom trade, but don't we currently have three 2nd round picks next year?

We have our own, we got one from Winnipeg for Toffoli and two (one this year & next) from Utah for Marino.

Obviously if we're in the playoff hunt at the deadline we'll dangle them for upgrade(s), but I think it's unlikely we won't have at least a single pick in the 2nd round next year.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I know we traded our 1st to Calgary as part of the Markstrom trade, but don't we currently have three 2nd round picks next year?

We have our own, we got one from Winnipeg for Toffoli and two (one this year & next) from Utah for Marino.

Obviously if we're in the playoff hunt at the deadline we'll dangle them for upgrade(s), but I think it's unlikely we won't have at least a single pick in the 2nd round next year.
One of them is conditionally tied to Allen

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
One of them is conditionally tied to Allen
Right, I just find it unlikely that Allen is going to play 40+ games and trigger that condition now that we have Markstrom. Injuries could obviously change that and I believe relief appearances also count not just starts, but I'd still be surprised if we see Allen in literally half of our games.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Right, I just find it unlikely that Allen is going to play 40+ games and trigger that condition now that we have Markstrom. Injuries could obviously change that and I believe relief appearances also count not just starts, but I'd still be surprised if we see Allen in literally half of our games.
More so the point is you can’t trade it because it’s conditionally tied to allen

So in reality they have a second round pick from Winnipeg and Edmonton to dangle

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Forgot about Marino deal. It should help. To make a trade on the deadline)
I believe Fitz is trying to win now. For me its some kind of okay strategy, but he should draft guys like Mustard or Krutov if you have no high picks. Or He, or Shuravin or even Poirier. We could end this draft with two or even three players with top-9 potential and top-6 ceiling. We drafted bunch of role players. I like Traff, but thats all. Thats all wev got. Guys who will become less productive Coleman if everything will go really well. I know, minimal percent of those high ceiling picks will develop into the NHLers but I believe its the same risk as for role players - may be even there are less risks. We drafted Bratt, Sharangovich and Gritsyuk - two of them are on the NHL deals, Gritsyuk has at least very good KHL career. What do we have from those role players? Nothing.

So, please, you, north americans, go find this Fitzy guy and tell him to start do his job and think about tomorrow. We already have nothing to add to the forward group because of how he drafted forwards in 20 and 21.
If he will continue to dump high picks away and draft players for checking role on the right wing - some day we will have one checking right winger. May be.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I imagine it’s unlikely enough that you could probably renegotiate the condition with Montreal if you really needed to. Add some extra value to change the year of the pick and ultimately nothing will change hands anyway.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I imagine it’s unlikely enough that you could probably renegotiate the condition with Montreal if you really needed to. Add some extra value to change the year of the pick and ultimately nothing will change hands anyway.
Ya I don’t think that is a thing at all. (Renegotiating the condition)

I doubt it’s even allowed and I doubt even more that is a thing that happens.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
More so the point is you can’t trade it because it’s conditionally tied to allen

So in reality they have a second round pick from Winnipeg and Edmonton to dangle
You can trade conditional picks

For example a very simple fix:

NJD 2nd (if allen condition triggers, becomes 2026 2nd)

or

NJD 2nd (if allen condition triggers, becomes WPG 2025 2nd).

or

NJD 2nd (if allen condition triggers, becomes 2025 3rd+3rd)

Besides when its the deadline and Allen has 18 starts with 20 total games left in the season, nobody is going to give a f*** about this condition

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Ya I don’t think that is a thing at all. (Renegotiating the condition)

I doubt it’s even allowed and I doubt even more that is a thing that happens.
I don’t think it’s happened but I believe have trade conditional rewards so you can trade your conditional pick back for a different set of conditional items.

There is no functional reason for it not to be possible. I don’t think it happens because it’s an added complication to deal making that reveals other information that you’d rather be private.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Jesper Bratt through the age of 22
4 seasons - 231 games - 44 goals - 86 assist 130 points

Dawson Mercer through the age of 22
3 seasons 246 games - 64 goals - 67 assist 131 points

Ohh we forget the days of no defense and healthy scratch Bratt

Yeah because Hynes being an idiot and scratching Bratt meant he sucked rather than Hynes being an idiot... Bratt was a great playdriver starting with his 2nd year and had the better scoring rates. Bratt was a guy that drove offense while Mercer's been a complimentary guy.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad