Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Would Grit be eligible to play in the playoffs?

He'd be eligible as long as the ELC was registered for 2024-25. It'd be somewhat unlikely that the coaching staff would throw him even though Luke got some games right away.

Depending on when Gritsyuk's KHL season ends, he could follow the same path as Nikita Gusev. Gusev signed with Vegas as they were in a first round series against San Jose in spring 2019. He joined them for a couple of practices but never dressed. Vegas was eliminated in the first round, so who knows if Gusev would have been an option down the line.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
If Gritsyuk becomes a top 6 forward that will be fantastic. Will make the wait 100% worth it.

His KHL numbers are good , there really isn't any part of his game that screams "won't translate or work in the NHL". I wonder how his skating is....as long as it is average with his vision and shooting ability I could see him being a 60 to 70 point player.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
When you're unable to sleep, you make gifs.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Hypothetically, if NJ were to somehow pull off a blockbuster trade for Brady Tkachuk, is there a way for this to happen while staying under the cap?

New Jersey Cap Space (4,976,103)

Brady Tkachuk (8,205,714)

Dawson Mercer + Jonas Siegenthaler ($3,400,000) + Seamus Casey

I don't think that is enough value and sort of craters our defense moving froward.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Hypothetically, if NJ were to somehow pull off a blockbuster trade for Brady Tkachuk, is there a way for this to happen while staying under the cap?

I don't think that is enough value and sort of craters our defense moving froward.
No we don’t need tkachuk now since we got a similar player in Meier and we cannot afford tkachuk either way. And that offer would get best easily

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Based on what? I know he started playing better late in the year and he was on the right side, but I had thought it was more so due to getting healthier.

Even then he was on the left during that stretch and Bratt the right. The whole "Meier can't play LW" shit is so dumb.

Bratt-JHughes-Mercer
Tatar-Hischier-Meier
Palat-Huala-Noesen
Cotter-Lazar-Bastian

I like these lines for opening night and Keefe has some flexibility to switch them up.

Huala can reunite with Jack and Mercer can move to 3C. Palat can move up to one of the scoring lines and Tatar down to 3LW.

Yeah that's the way to currently run it. God I do not ever need to see Haula-Jack again. Mercer's not shown he can handle being a center and even if he could I'd rather be moving Palat or Noesen up and keeping Haula as the 3C and Mercer a top 6 W.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Gotta reunite Tatar-Nico-Mercer imo opening night and see if they have any juice from the 22-23 year. Move away from it as soon it doesn't work, that also gives Jack the two best wingers on the team which would be an awesome sight.

Cannot agree. Yeah you're giving Jack the 2 best wingers but Jack doesn't get the best Timo because Timo is not going to be taking as many shots if he's there. Even if you've got Timo taking all of his shots then Jack isn't taking all of his. Putting the 2 of them together is limiting.

If Gritsyuk becomes a top 6 forward that will be fantastic. Will make the wait 100% worth it.

His KHL numbers are good , there really isn't any part of his game that screams "won't translate or work in the NHL". I wonder how his skating is....as long as it is average with his vision and shooting ability I could see him being a 60 to 70 point player.

He's a good skater. He's not Goose lol

DevilsHughes86

Dance with the Devil
Mar 6, 2007
Laval
I am on the Noesen first line train

Every year the NHL has that random winger playing with elite talent potting 30/40 goals out of nowhere

Maybe its Noesen :naughty:
He can be given a 10 game trial or something like that. I know it's the AHL but he did score 48 goals 2 years ago, I mean he is definitely capable of putting the puck in the net

Reactions: NjDevsRR

devsfan8

Aug 23, 2005
South Jersey

2 out of 3 out our 2nds and a 3rd would also have to be involved.

I think the next contract of interest is Hataaka. If he were to get a 1 way contract it means somebody might be on the move on a blue line that has 8 already signed Dmen.

Im not sure I am keen on moving him. Siegenthaler had one bad year. And Dougie had his best season as a Devil paired with Siegs. I think Jonas can bounce back.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
He can be given a 10 game trial or something like that. I know it's the AHL but he did score 48 goals 2 years ago, I mean he is definitely capable of putting the puck in the net

With how much Bratt and Jack move around, pass, and shoot a guy who goes to the front of the net like Noesen or Cotter could be very effective. A Clarkson type player but probably with better skill.

Id be interested to see both those guys given a shot up there.

I think/hope Tatar Nico Timo can be a killer line.

We will have to see how the rest works.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

This biggest issues with acquiring Brady is both the cap this year, making it fit. The other issue is the future contract and needing to dump players and being in a cap situation.

Yes of course the cap will rise, we can try and move out Palat next off season.

My guess is any big offensive addition would happen during the summer after we move some guys on deals out and have a better idea where the cap it. It is just to hard to pull off right now.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
With how much Bratt and Jack move around, pass, and shoot a guy who goes to the front of the net like Noesen or Cotter could be very effective. A Clarkson type player but probably with better skill.

Id be interested to see both those guys given a shot up there.

I think/hope Tatar Nico Timo can be a killer line.

We will have to see how the rest works.
If Bratt and Jack are together then I also think a meat and potato guy is the type of player to put with them.

Obviously the more talented the guy the better but Jack is his most effective, imo, when he’s thinking shoot first. He can get himself to high scoring areas by himself and then shoots well enough to score. When they put a shooter like Toffoli with Jack then Jack started to defer to Toffoli and tried to set the shooter up; I don’t think that’s the most effective version of Jack.

I think the majority of people still think of Jack as a playmaker but I think he’s at his best as a medium to high quality volume scorer. I don’t need him adding an extra step to a play to try and have someone else score when he can score on the current step.

For me, having a meat and potato guy that wins pucks to get Hughes more touches but doesn’t require the puck fed back to them may be the best synergy for the line.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
If Bratt and Jack are together then I also think a meat and potato guy is the type of player to put with them.

Obviously the more talented the guy the better but Jack is his most effective, imo, when he’s thinking shoot first. He can get himself to high scoring areas by himself and then shoots well enough to score. When they put a shooter like Toffoli with Jack then Jack started to defer to Toffoli and tried to set the shooter up; I don’t think that’s the most effective version of Jack.

I think the majority of people still think of Jack as a playmaker but I think he’s at his best as a medium to high quality volume scorer. I don’t need him adding an extra step to a play to try and have someone else score when he can score on the current step.

For me, having a meat and potato guy that wins pucks to get Hughes more touches but doesn’t require the puck fed back to them may be the best synergy for the line.
Noesen? :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad