Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I'm still curious as to how we solve for the fact that Meier, Bratt, Mercer & Noesen all seemingly perform best at RW. Given our lack of depth at center I wonder if it makes sense to give Mercer another crack there? I know Cotter can play C too.

Tatar did have some chemistry with Mercer (although how much Nico carried that line remains to be seen) so perhaps they could form a decent third line for us.

Haula - Hughes - Bratt
Palat - Hischier - Meier
Tatar - Mercer - Noesen
Cotter - Lazar - Bastian
Foote/McDermid

It spreads the wealth around a little bit at least.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I have a confession. My newest man crush is Dougie Hamilton. The guy is such a goof and it feels like he completely embraced NJ and the Devils. I rank him up there with DJ Zubrus.

Does he volunteer to do 80% of the Devils press releases videos?

We are in a golden era of personalities but Dougie is the cream of the crop.

I recommend checking out the Devils schedule drop.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I'm still curious as to how we solve for the fact that Meier, Bratt, Mercer & Noesen all seemingly perform best at RW. Given our lack of depth at center I wonder if it makes sense to give Mercer another crack there? I know Cotter can play C too.

Tatar did have some chemistry with Mercer (although how much Nico carried that line remains to be seen) so perhaps they could form a decent third line for us.

Haula - Hughes - Bratt
Palat - Hischier - Meier
Tatar - Mercer - Noesen
Cotter - Lazar - Bastian
Foote/McDermid

Wouldn’t be the most surprising thing ever especially if Mercer would prefer to play at center and has stated so after his tough season and going into contract negotiations. But I’m assuming otherwise right now.

I also think Bratt is the one I would put on the left

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I have a confession. My newest man crush is Dougie Hamilton. The guy is such a goof and it feels like he completely embraced NJ and the Devils. I rank him up there with DJ Zubrus.

I think I saw that headline on youtube, I'll have to give it a look.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

I'm ready to sign Hamilton and Lazar to lifetime deals.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

Haula - Hughes - Bratt
Palat - Hischier - Meier
Tatar - Mercer - Noesen
Cotter - Lazar - Bastian
Foote/McDermid

Bratt and Meier can play either side. Mercer should start at RW in the top 6 and Noesen is a 3rd liner.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Finally watched this all the way through, what a lovable goof Big Douglas is! Him and Lazar are a good one-two punch for team goofball.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
One way or another, I'm convinced Fitz will get more forward depth in here by the trade deadline at the latest.
I like the current "depth", though we are probably lacking a true 4th line center. The big issue now seems to be lacking a top 6 winger. I think Mercer could prove to be that, that's not too far fetched. Maybe Grits does too, but that would be tough to rely on.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Not a fan. I'd rather take that one elc year in 25-26 with Luke in the first year of his extension
I think you have to burn the ELC year to keep a good relationship with the player. Otherwise you risk the threat to stay in Russia or demand a trade; with a good relationship I don’t think you can delay signing him if he is contractually available.

From a cap perspective I think you’re correct though.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
1719971670104.png

Green outlines are the 2nd on back to backs. Only 5 where they travel after playing which is a lot better than last year. 12 b2b's but the first one is neutral for both teams so no advantage either way. 1 where both games are at home, 2 where both games are on the road (March which is a grind).

Finishing with 6 of the last 7 at home could be huge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad