Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah our C depth is awful at the NHL and AHL level. An actual 3C was at the top of my offseason wishlist after a goalie.

Still time for a trade unless they keep Haula at 3C all season.

Getting a winger like Tatar (or Sprong if they went that route) should be to keep Haula at C.

I would love another NHL center but it will be difficult. At minimum, Fitz should be stocking up on AHL centers, and we see what reveals itself on the trade market.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I actually like this to the alternative of re-signing Toffoli, which possibly could have happened had we been a playoff team and not had to sell him off at the deadline. Though I'm slightly skeptical he was ever in the plans beyond last year.
I feel like he would have been had he taken a two, maybe a three-year deal, but he was holding out for four or five and bless him, he did get that. Doesn't even need to concern himself with winning at this point since he already won a Cup (or two), might as well just get a nice retirement contract.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Bratt-Hughes-Mercer
Palat-Hischier-Meier
Tuna-Haula-Noesen
Cotter-Lazar-Bastian
Foote
MacDermid

Siegs Dr. Evil
Rusty Pesce
Dillon Anderson Trade Bait
Kovacevic
DeSimone

Grandpa Markstrom
Allen who played pretty well for NJ
Daws in Utica

I am surprised they added Tatar above the burial limit. I guess they think he still has something left in the tank for one more run. I'd also suggest the percentage of guys on UFA deals is too high. 8 forwards, 3 defenders, and both goalies. The inconsistent drafting has caught up with them. They really could have used a year in the past five where they added more than one good player.

Edit: Forgot about Kovacevic and DeSimone. I presume DeSimone will play in Utica and wait for a callup. Similarly, I expect one of Foote or MacDermid to go to Utica. They need MacDermid for maybe 8 or 9 games but he can be genuinely useful in those so hopefully they can send him back and forth without a problem.

Last edited:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Bratt-Hughes-Mercer
Palat-Hischier-Meier
Tuna-Haula-Noesen
Cotter-Lazar-Bastian
Foote
MacDermid

Siegs Dr. Evil
Rusty Pesce
Dillon Anderson Trade Bait

Grandpa Markstrom
Allen who played pretty well for NJ
Daws in Utica

I am surprised they added Tatar above the burial limit. I guess they think he still has something left in the tank for one more run. I'd also suggest the percentage of guys on UFA deals is too high. 8 forwards, 3 defenders, and both goalies. The inconsistent drafting has caught up with them. They really could have used a year in the past five where they added more than one good player.

Flip Mercer and Meier and Palat and Tatar and we are cooking.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Flip Mercer and Meier and Palat and Tatar and we are cooking.
At this stage I think Palat is a step above Tatar. Meier also worked better with Hischier than Jack (apparently it's a volume shooting thing?). In any event, with a new coach, different players will play well and some will not. My guess is that team health will ultimately dictate this season once they get settled with Keefe.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Love our D group right now even if we overpaid for a bit. Think I saw someone else say this on X earlier but we kind of have 3 good 2nd pairs right now. But I’d say all of them to varying extent have potential to be closer to a top pair.

If Siegenthaler can have a bounce back season in the new system alongside Dougie that’s realistically a top pair.
If Luke builds off of last season and has a really strong sophomore season while Pesce holds up that’s probably more of a top pair.
Not as much so for the last pair unless Nemec is amazing and plays like an elite #1 (who knows)

But ya overall it’s solid with a whole lot of potential depending on Luke, Nemec, and a Siegenthaler bounce back (maybe wouldn’t count on this)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah you can flip them back if it doesn't work. I just don't want to see Palat in the top 6. Tatar has shown he can work there.

I would definitely flip Tuna and Palat. He works with Nico and I don't see why Timo won't work on the other wing with them.

Nico and Tuna transition, Timo crashes the net and scores the goals.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It’s really unfortunate that all 3 of Tatar, Mercer, Meier are way better with Nico than Jack. At least Jack-Bratt is f***ing fantastic. Mercer should be the odd man out on Nico’s line and with Jack and Bratt together they can make anyway look great so it counteracts Jack-Mercer not being the best

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Issue is Timo hasn't shown to be a good fit next to Jack and has shown to be a great fit next to Nico
I'm willing to wipe the slate clean on how most everyone looked with anyone. Last year was crazy for a number of reasons. From injuries forcing lines into existence, guys playing injured, Ruff forcing things, systems being what they were or weren't and the general feeling that the team never really "got going" as a unit.

New coach, presumably new system, (newish) healthy team. Figure out from scratch what works and doesn't IMO.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
It says a lot about Nico huh?
Also says a lot about Jack.

The elite playmaking Cs make middle 6 players PPG guys.

It’s really unfortunate that all 3 of Tatar, Mercer, Meier are way better with Nico than Jack. At least Jack-Bratt is f***ing fantastic. Mercer should be the odd man out on Nico’s line and with Jack and Bratt together they can make anyway look great so it counteracts Jack-Mercer not being the best
You forgot Palat lol

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Who knows if Bastian is even alive anymore (slightly joking) or not. His last game was February 22nd, and he never played again after that.

Now there's been another 2.5 months since the season ended for him to have recovered from whatever he needed to recover from, but I honestly think the team would be looking to toss him (if anybody) simply because he's missed 40% of the games the last two years, mostly due to injuries.

Unless they think he'll be on the LTIR for much of the season.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I think Nico is easy to play with as he plays a pretty simple hardworking game and is pretty predictable and consistent in how he plays

Jack seems really hard to play with. You never know what he’s gonna do which is good and bad at times.
That's why I keep saying and really believe he just needs someone next to him with speed, decent enough IQ to learn his habits and just be ready for a pass at literally any moment and he will make someone a star. I believe Mercer can be that guy if given enough time together.

But regardless, Jack is going to start making middle of the road dudes too rich to stay here and then overpaid by other teams in FA, like all the greats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad