Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Its fun. Gusev didnt develop his skating, if someone wants to know. His brain is still on the higher level than most of the Devils squad. But legs. Not enough for league minimum.

He was pretty cooked once we hired Lindy. Lindy's teams, for better or worse, are built on elite end skaters for the most part up on the forward/defensive side. But yeah, I don't even think Gusev could crack it on heavier and slower teams, the game is just too dependent on elite skating now. He was born too late to play in the 90's where his game would probably flourish in NA lol

Let’s see if we can bring Salmela out of retirement too

obligatory Salmela vid

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
A grade for Fitz...weird? We are not even 24 hours into Free Agency but let's call it over..

First there was a ton of money chasing Free Agents this year. So there was a ton of competition.

Second going into FA Tom's obvious priority was filling out the 2 open defense spots...but I don't think you can grade him on that alone...we needed forwards also.

So I think we should grade the Defense and the Forwards separately..

Defense he hit it out of park A+ 100%. Pesce, Dillion and Kovacevic...check every single box...size, a bit of grit, PK, defense...great job here.

Forwards: here it is obviously not as good as the defense work. We also have to consider the trade that brought Cotter I think. So we added Noesen after we traded for Cotter...two bottom 6 players with size, speed and a bit of sandpaper...from a bottom 6 POV it's ok...good even.

..Now top 6 we have an incomplete... nothing. We have give him an incomplete here...there is still plenty of potential for a trade but if we are grading just Free Agency we have to give him a 0%....so that would be a C+ for the bottom 6 and an F for the top 6...with numbers 77% and 0% for top 6. 38.5% for forwards an F.

Cumulative Defense and Forwards: 38.5% on forwards the zero hurts here and 100% on Defense is 69.2. on skaters in FA.

But we are going to give extra credit for going out and getting a goaltender prior to Free Agency. I think a 10 point extra credit is more than appropriate for getting the goaltender he obviously wanted since last year.

So now we're at 79.2%. C+/B- is the final grade.
If Mercer can regain the form he had just the year prior the forwards are largely solidified. I think Mercer is better next season and with a chance to play consistently in the top six will hit about 60 points. That alone will allow for guys to move down in the lineup. Up to this point I'd give Fitz a solid B so far for the offseason. He gave up a bit much for Markstrom but got a good return for Marino and did ok on Holtz and Schmid. Part of me thinks they should have just kept Holtz for one more season but clearly Fitz was just out of patience with him for whatever reason. Fitz has made the team functionally tougher. Guys like Dillon and Noesen will actually play unlike MacDermid.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
A grade for Fitz...weird? We are not even 24 hours into Free Agency but let's call it over..

First there was a ton of money chasing Free Agents this year. So there was a ton of competition.

Second going into FA Tom's obvious priority was filling out the 2 open defense spots...but I don't think you can grade him on that alone...we needed forwards also.

So I think we should grade the Defense and the Forwards separately..

Defense he hit it out of park A+ 100%. Pesce, Dillion and Kovacevic...check every single box...size, a bit of grit, PK, defense...great job here.

Forwards: here it is obviously not as good as the defense work. We also have to consider the trade that brought Cotter I think. So we added Noesen after we traded for Cotter...two bottom 6 players with size, speed and a bit of sandpaper...from a bottom 6 POV it's ok...good even.

..Now top 6 we have an incomplete... nothing. We have give him an incomplete here...there is still plenty of potential for a trade but if we are grading just Free Agency we have to give him a 0%....so that would be a C+ for the bottom 6 and an F for the top 6...with numbers 77% and 0% for top 6. 38.5% for forwards an F.

Cumulative Defense and Forwards: 38.5% on forwards the zero hurts here and 100% on Defense is 69.2. on skaters in FA.

But we are going to give extra credit for going out and getting a goaltender prior to Free Agency. I think a 10 point extra credit is more than appropriate for getting the goaltender he obviously wanted since last year.

So now we're at 79.2%. C+/B- is the final grade.
I'm not sure if give the D work an A+. I love the additions, but a bit too much term and money (as is expected with UFAs), but at the same time, the Kovacevic deal was a bargain. I lean A- or B+.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm not sure if give the D work an A+. I love the additions, but a bit too much term and money (as is expected with UFAs), but at the same time, the Kovacevic deal was a bargain. I lean A- or B+.
I don't see a scenario that he could have addressed the issues in an a more perfect way on defense in my opinion.

Money/term, maybe age of the players or anything other than what they can provide on the ice, those are really secondary...From a grade perspective I don't think we should go much further than potential performance?

"Need" on one side of the ledger and "Fulfillment" on the other.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If Mercer can regain the form he had just the year prior the forwards are largely solidified. I think Mercer is better next season and with a chance to play consistently in the top six will hit about 60 points. That alone will allow for guys to move down in the lineup. Up to this point I'd give Fitz a solid B so far for the offseason. He gave up a bit much for Markstrom but got a good return for Marino and did ok on Holtz and Schmid. Part of me thinks they should have just kept Holtz for one more season but clearly Fitz was just out of patience with him for whatever reason. Fitz has made the team functionally tougher. Guys like Dillon and Noesen will actually play unlike MacDermid.
Mercer doesn't have to regain anything. He's perfect. Just needs to be in the top 6.

Last edited:

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
He was pretty cooked once we hired Lindy. Lindy's teams, for better or worse, are built on elite end skaters for the most part up on the forward/defensive side. But yeah, I don't even think Gusev could crack it on heavier and slower teams, the game is just too dependent on elite skating now. He was born too late to play in the 90's where his game would probably flourish in NA lol

obligatory Salmela vid

its really sad that nhl on msg peaked 15 years ago. that was a great show they aired on saturday nights i dont understand why they dont try and continue to do that? drop buffalo and just do nyr/nyi/njd

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He objectively played like shit last year.

I'm a Mercer fan, but that's reality.
I'd use the term inconsistent. He lacked some confidence in my view. When he was on he looked like he always has but when he was off he was hesitant which is bad for his game. He has to be active at all times to be effective.

Reactions: Guadana

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
We dont need the desire for perfection to be in the way of seeing that this is a good roster.

Our biggest issues last season were goaltending and D. Vanacek/schmid/marino/Bahl/smith were replaced by markstrom/allen/pesce/dillon/kovacevich. That is enough to make the goals against drop dramatically and keep the devils in games and steal points where they are having an off night rather than getting blown out. Combine all that with a new coach and the trifecta of issues plaguing the devils on the ice last year are corrected.

The offence is not as solid as it was, but just 5-10 extra games played from Meier hischier and Hughes this year probably adds 15+ goals at least. Healthy Hamilton should be an automatic 50 points and that’s being conservative for him with this group.

Last year was a nightmare season with injuries and even arrests. A lot of fans have let that go to their heads and their emotions are a high wire act right now when it comes to the devils. Sure it could all go to shit with injuries and bad luck, but that’s the same for everybody. I’m optimistic for now.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He objectively played like shit last year.

I'm a Mercer fan, but that's reality.
Who didn't? Bratt didn't....you had Mercer playing with therapist and the black hole formerly known as Palat for the vast majority of the season....he managed a average third line production playing with complete garbage.

Reactions: Dylan9z9

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i'm sure fitz will add some middling type "top 6" guy but honestly the offense is fine and will be fine as long as jack is healthy. fitz most important job was goaltending and defense both will be yuuuuuuuge improvements. if jack makes it all 82 games the offense will be just fine

dls

Jan 20, 2009
My only comment on a "grade" for fitzy, is I question the sequencing of the Hotlz deal. Feels like it would have been better off holding off the Holtz trade until after the free agency period. Feels like Fitzy went in thinking he could nab a top 6 winger given the names we were in on.

Got to trust the process but I can't help but think most fans would've rationalized Holtz getting a legitimate shot at the top 6 or 9 with a normal coach and if fitz swinged a trade for an upgrade great, jettison Holtz, but if not, at least better then seeing cotter in a top 9 role!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So did Holtz....
Holtz and Mercer were close in just about every single regular stat...it was more indicative of the bottom 6 on a bad team in my opinion.

Holtz having a career year playing 82 games and Mercer having his worst year on a very successful ELC is like two ships passing in the night.

One is headed to port and the other to the abyss.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
These are certainly some takes.

“Brunette knew this” You made up a whole story in your head here. Fun!

I do wonder what Trotz was doing while Brunette was GMing…
IMG_3538.jpeg

Reactions: Guadana

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Holtz and Mercer were close in just about every single regular stat...it was more indicative of the bottom 6 on a bad team in my opinion.

Holtz having a career year playing 82 games and Mercer having his worst year on a very successful ELC is like two ships passing in the night.

I'd MUCH rather have Mercer. No doubt I think he is just a better player in every respect. But I do not think it's fair to say Mercer had a bad year because of who he played with and then not apply that same logic to Holtz.

Reactions: Dylan9z9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad