Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Prob a consensus top 10 pool. Doesn't matter if people think it needs more forwards or the picks won't be ready for years. Assets are assets. Askarov and picks can be moved to upgrade the lineup.

Everyone on HF seems to agree the Avs are in trouble finally. That removes one major contender in the West. So on paper, you have Oilers, Canucks, Knights, Dallas, and then....prob Nash. Plus, the only team better than them in the division is Dallas imo.

Maybe it works out, maybe it doesn't. But the point is, again, their moves 100% make sense based on how the roster in constructed. With Forsberg, Josi, and Saros there's virtually no chance they could tank, so any good GM should go for it after the overperformance of last year.

I really don't think HFdevs in particular should be throwing stones at an org that just massively outperformed the Devils with a 1st year coach, has a stronger prospect pool, and has significantly more draft capital.

if the Devils drafted a goalie in the top 11 and then extended a 30 year old goalie for 8 years (9 more in total), you would be stomping around this thread throwing a temper tantrum.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I think we'll just see a rotation of Mercer/Palat/Haula and maybe even Noesen on the top 6 until the deadline. There's also a chance that Gritsyuk could join us after SKA's season is done if that is unexpectedly early. Perhaps we end up finding we're getting really good minutes out of Luke, Dillon, and someone from the depth brigade on D and we feel good about moving Seigenthaler at that point to bring in some forward help.

It's not as sexy as it was last year, but at a certain point you need those top 4 forwards to make it work with what's around them.
Always? No. More often than I should be? Yeah, that would probably be a fair statement.

It's less UFA day and more the overall direction since the team was eliminated by Carolina. We had a unicorn of a team that skated opponents into oblivion and was a blast to watch; and I would have rather leaned into that and tried to win a Cup that way than become, whatever we are trying to become now. If that team had a goalie, man that would be incredible.

I like Pesce and Dillon. No complaints about those deals especially when you look around the league at other deals that were signed. I have concerns that, while "tougher", the bottom 6 still isn't good enough to keep the play in the offensive zone, contribute meaningfully offensively, or play good defense. And I feel like that was the second biggest issue last year, first being the crippling, long term injuries to key players. I had that higher on the list to address than defense or goaltending. Fitz did try to address it, but his focus was definitely way more on defense and goaltending. And as a result, I don't think the bottom 6 got nearly enough of a facelift.

In any case, getting healthy will give the team the biggest bump. I'm interested to see a full year of healthy Timo.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the third line this year. The 4th on almost any team is destined to get caved in and you kind of just have to hope they net out even in terms of actual goals scored.

The top 6 is going to have to rely on Jack/Bratt/Hischier/Meier and that's kind of just how it is. Nobody left we can sign or trade for that will be a satisfying add there that we can afford outside of striking gold with someone still on their ELC. I share your concerns with the overall forward composition compared to 22-23, but I hope the improvement from the D compared to 23-24 will result in more opportunities for the forwards to establish themselves.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don't understand why Foote gets a pass for not being a good player when other guys like Boqvist are crucified.

If Foote ever slides up into the top 6, we are in trouble.
Is “crucified” = not here any more?

You got to get over Boqvist. Did you love him this much when he was here?

Boston didn’t qualify him either.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I like the lineup the only thing is we are a forward injury away to one of our better players from having a bad year. I don’t expect Nico Jack haula and palat to play all 82 games. If one of our centers gets hurt, we could be in trouble. Our best defenseman was hurt last year and it ruined the season.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Here is what Fitz does he goes after good talent but if another team comes in he drops out immediately Brunette knew this and that's why they got Stamkos and Marchessault with no pushback.

Again, how do you know this? Marchessault got a longterm contract. We shouldn't be in the business of giving soon to be 34 year olds 5 year deals. Stamkos got $8million/year, we cannot afford that.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
They also got Zadorov and Lindholm trumps Pesce and Dillon
Zadorov and Lindholm got absolutely awful contracts.

Again, how do you know this? Marchessault got a longterm contract. We shouldn't be in the business of giving soon to be 34 year olds 5 year deals. Stamkos got $8million/year, we cannot afford that.
Stamkos is probably barely worth $8M in the short term, let alone in 3-4 years.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Really I'm thinking Boston had a better off season for one.

Here is what Fitz does he goes after good talent but if another team comes in he drops out immediately Brunette knew this and that's why they got Stamkos and Marchessault with no pushback.

These are certainly some takes.

“Brunette knew this” You made up a whole story in your head here. Fun!

I do wonder what Trotz was doing while Brunette was GMing…

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
They got Stamkos and Marchessault because they offered Stamkos more $$$ than we could afford and Marchessault more term than we wanted to commit to. This isn't hard.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
ugh i can't believe i missed the lou conversation! :laugh:

obligatory: lou couldn't build a sandcastle in the cap era, let alone a good hockey team. imagine surrounding yourself with chris terreri, tommy albelin etc in 2024. he's honestly just pathetic at this point, a tornado of incompetence that destroys every team he touches. he's got the midas touch, if instead of gold it was raw sewage. him leaving (or getting the locks on the building changed on him, whatever happened) was the best thing that could've happened to us. he couldn't draft a good man in 1964 when it was mandatory US policy. i hope islanders fans are enjoying that senile knobjob.

dbfa6549-b9f7-43d8-9161-13b3d496ecfd_text-ezgif.com-added-text.gif

Reactions: Call Me Al

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I do really like what we did in terms of smoothing over the team's biggest holes (namely, the defense).

Siegenthaler - Hamilton
Hughes - Pesce
Dillon - Nemec

Is a very nice group of I think basically interchangeable pairings. If everyone stays healthy we should be well set to better protect our goaltenders, who have also improved.

But I still think we're missing a mid-6 forward. Could be a LW or a C, doesn't matter, there's a piece missing. I also am not a huge fan of our 4th line but that's... I mean, that's not a huge problem in any case.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I like Ross Colton but I think people around here definitely overrate him because he’s a Jersey kid.

If we’re adding to the top 6, it shouldn’t be a 28 year old whose career high is 40 points.

He only had 1 more goal that Holtz did last year, I’m not sure why everyone is so convinced he’s the answer. If we didn’t sign Noesen I’d be all over him as a 3rd line option but he’s redundant now IMO.
He brings SO much more to the table than Holtz.

I'm not sure if he'd be in the top six, but he's definitely be a candidate.

In my opinion, whoever rides shotgun with Jack-Jesper or Timo-Nico doesn't need to be a scoring wizard. He needs to compliment the pairs without being an offensive black hole. It's why I think Palat would actually mesh really well with Jack-Bratt. He'd add a bit of grit and be able to dig pucks off the boards. It annoys me we never tried him there last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad