Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
And he DESERVED to be down there. He started the season in the top 6 and was legitimately like an ECHL player. BRUTAL underlying numbers and from games 2-7 of the year he had THREE SHOTS

I know, he did. That Timo-Nico-Mercer line was really bad in those two games. Turns out Timo wasn’t healthy. Them Nico got hurt. I think they tried Mercer at center when Nico went out and that didnt go well either. It was a wacky start to the year. And Mercer didn’t do himself any favors with his play.

I still have no doubt that he’ll rebound. I love his work ethic and motor. Hope he builds his strength up to work on battles and feels more confident in putting more pucks on net. He lead the team in shooting percentage for regular forwards because he took so few shots but still managed a 20 goal season. Someone build some confidence in him to fire the puck more frequently.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
god damnit! mixing up my frenchies

Florida just won the Cup and their only righty forwards were Reinhart, Rodrigues, Stenlund (barely played), and Okposo (barely played)

it isn't a big deal
I feel like we talked about this the other day. Handness doesn’t matter if they prefer playing on their offhand.

Right now on the wings:

LW:
Palat
Cotter
Foote
MacDermid
Haula (if not at C)

RW:
Bratt
Meier
Mercer
Bastian
Lazar (if not at C)

If anything we need to target left wings
I understand both of these but that doesnt change that, ideally, more right handed shots allows for more plays that can be made from different angles

Its just math at that point - more righties more chances for better opportunities

If it ends up being lefties then so be it - but theres a reason righties for both defense and offense are more valued

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Righties on defense are more valued simply because there aren't as many of them

I heard somewhere that 60% of defensemen are LHD and 40% RHD.

That puts roughly 96 regularly rostered defenseman of each. There's a few holdouts from 10+ years ago when teams didn't really care and whatever Buffalo is doing now, but we'll ignore that.

That means the 96th best LHD, or the worst regular rostered player in the league at that position is as good as the 77th best RHD. The majority of 3rd pair RHD wouldn't even be in the league if they were LHD.

All the proof you need is this past draft, where 3/4 of the top defensemen were LHD and the top 3 picked defensemen were all RHD.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I heard somewhere that 60% of defensemen are LHD and 40% RHD.

That puts roughly 96 regularly rostered defenseman of each. There's a few holdouts from 10+ years ago when teams didn't really care and whatever Buffalo is doing now, but we'll ignore that.

That means the 96th best LHD, or the worst regular rostered player in the league at that position is as good as the 77th best RHD. The majority of 3rd pair RHD wouldn't even be in the league if they were LHD.

All the proof you need is this past draft, where 3/4 of the top defensemen were LHD and the top 3 picked defensemen were all RHD.

i heard that 60% of defensemen are left handed every time they play

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I just don't see them winning the cup next year, even if they have the talent to do so. They're so inexperienced
I agree. Fitz's moves make me nervous because of this. But, you can't accomplish something great if you don't try. And at least he's trying.

I think people REALLY underestimate the talent of that Panthers team to focus on the physicality. Their 5-8 forwards were Tarasenko, Rodrigues, Lundell, and Bennett. Their 8th guy would be our 5th. I do agree the 23-24 Devils probably don't beat the Rangers but the 22-23 Devils would've.

I agree that the Panthers were more than just a physical team. And, I don't see how the Devils go from missing the playoffs to winning the Cup.

But, I like that Fitz is holding the team accountable. This is what accountability looks like. Some people aren't here any more. Players that I liked. The bar is set higher. Kids don't have the luxury of figuring things out over a couple of years. At least on RD and it looks like in the bottom 6, Fitz is out to create competition for every spot. It'll be amazing if he can do that for LD as well.

If I were in charge, I would have been more patient. I would have kept Kahkonen instead of paying the price for Markstrom (I wanted Bahl to stay). I thought Marino could bounce back. I thought Holtz could improve.

But, you have to admire Fitz's decisiveness this summer. He identified that a change was needed and has taken steps to address it. There hasn't been a Huberdeau for Tkachuk move, but you can't force something like that, and I'm glad Fitz hasn't (at least so far).

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Rumors were he turned down 3 AAV for 8 years from TB. Sounded like her wanted more AAV and I guess less years. So maybe 5 and 5? Not sure I want to do that.
Stamkos would also fit in as the kind of pkayer who isnt huge and hits a ton but is skilled enough to sacrifice that for

Palat-Hughes-Stamkos with Stamkos taking faceoffs maybe?

Term would stink but if youre confident you can move it eventually... 5-6m is not bad at all for him and maybe he reignites Palat

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00