Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think people REALLY underestimate the talent of that Panthers team to focus on the physicality. Their 5-8 forwards were Tarasenko, Rodrigues, Lundell, and Bennett. Their 8th guy would be our 5th. I do agree the 23-24 Devils probably don't beat the Rangers but the 22-23 Devils would've.

if Mercer bounces back, he is easily better than all those Panthers forwards you listed.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
And the only reason I’d expect him to be in that position is if he underperforms again. I don’t see that happening because I’m confident in him as a player and worker. He feels like the kind of player that Keefe will put in situations to thrive.
But that's not what happened last year. He was pretty much in the bottom 6 from the start... Game 2 he was under 16 minutes, game 4 he was under 15 minutes, games 6 he was under 14 minutes... He underperformed in 6 games that got him relegated to the bottom 6 for the entire year (pretty much)?

No they were shuffling lines trying to get Holtz to fit somewhere....they started doing that in the preseason.

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
I'm going on record to say that I don't want anyone on this team that had previously played for this team, this includes, but is not limited to:

Boqvist
Henrique
Sharangovich
Noesen
Hall
Coleman
Wood
Tatar
Bahl
Toffoli
Holtz
Schmid
Gusev
T. and/or B. Smith
Bernier
Blackwood
Crawford
Graves
Greer
Marino
Hammond
Mango
Kuokkanen
Studenic
Zacha
Butcher
Merrill
Ryan Murray

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I'm going on record to say that I don't want anyone on this team that had previously played for this team, this includes, but is not limited to:

Boqvist
Henrique
Sharangovich
Nosek
Hall
Coleman
Wood
Tatar
Bahl
Toffoli
Holtz
Schmid
Gusev
T. and/or B. Smith
Bernier
Blackwood
Crawford
Graves
Greer
Marino
Hammond
Mango
Kuokkanen
Studenic
Zacha
Butcher
Merrill
Ryan Murray

You're top 2 guys are 2 guys I think would be really good for us lol. Coleman too but the 4.9 is rough for what we'll be working with.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
But that's not what happened last year. He was pretty much in the bottom 6 from the start... Game 2 he was under 16 minutes, game 4 he was under 15 minutes, games 6 he was under 14 minutes... He underperformed in 6 games that got him relegated to the bottom 6 for the entire year (pretty much)?

No they were shuffling lines trying to get Holtz to fit somewhere....they started doing that in the preseason.

We’ve had this discussion numerous times already, I’m not doing it again. :laugh:

You’re free to think what you want, but look back at the lineups that started these games in the GDTs. He wasn’t stapled to the bottom 6, especially when there were as many forward injuries as we had at multiple points in the season. At any rate, it’s the past. I still believe he is a crucial part of this team succeeding.

Reactions: AfroThunder396

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
We’ve had this discussion numerous times already, I’m not doing it again. :laugh:

You’re free to think what you want, but look back at the lineups that started these games in the GDTs. He wasn’t stapled to the bottom 6, especially when there were as many forward injuries as we had at multiple points in the season. At any rate, it’s the past. I still believe he is a crucial part of this team succeeding.

And he DESERVED to be down there. He started the season in the top 6 and was legitimately like an ECHL player. BRUTAL underlying numbers and from games 2-8 of the year he had THREE SHOTS

Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

Boqvist
Henrique
Sharangovich
Noesen
Hall
Coleman
Wood
Tatar
Bahl
Toffoli
Holtz
Schmid
Gusev
T. and/or B. Smith
Bernier
Blackwood
Crawford
Graves
Greer
Marino
Hammond
Mango
Kuokkanen
Studenic
Zacha
Butcher
Merrill
Ryan Murray

andreas f***ing johnsson

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I still dont see how we get around the issue of everyone being left-handed if we dont strictly sign right-handed forwards

As of now, with Palat and Mercer in the top-6, we have one righty there and would have two in the bottom-6

Were very lopsided lefty so I have to assume if we acquire one or two forwards - both will be righties

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
As you know I am all about DEFENSE.

My Defense includes the goalies so that is 7 Defensemen and 2 Goalies, 9 (my number) D players ready to go.

IMO we are set to go at goalie now and in 2 years, yes things change but on paper for today we are set with the Fitz plan

With, July 1, 2024, here tomorrow at NOON, less than 24 hours away, the UFA (unrestricted free agency) and RFA (restricted free agency) players OPENS and business begins officially for the NJ Devils.

I and many others say that Our beloved NJ Devils need veteran defensemen, ESPECIALLY since we traded Marino. We have terrific talented youth already in our defense but now we need to give them some help, as well as the team with Vet D players.

So Fitz's mission is to find good veteran D guys that he can acquire for the Devils.

But where is Fitz going to find veteran D that can help the Devils?

I can't answer that question but Fitz has a plan because he knows more than you and me.

I hear he is looking at Carolina Hurricanes (Brett Pesce) and Winnipeg Jets (Brenden Dillon). Signing both these guys would be AWESOME, one would be great.There are others, I am sure that could help.

BTW we could use a wing or center or both. That would be asking for a lot but at least 1.

We are on the move Devils fans, deep to the playoffs, deep into them, NOT just round 1. I said the same thing last year this time. Our goalies failed (Fitz got us new ones) our coaching failed (Fitz got rid of Ruff and Green) and our Defense failed (injuries) (no Vets) (Fitz is working on this, trust me).

Go Devils

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I still dont see how we get around the issue of everyone being left-handed if we dont strictly sign right-handed forwards

As of now, with Palat and Mercer in the top-6, we have one righty there and would have two in the bottom-6

Were very lopsided lefty so I have to assume if we acquire one or two forwards - both will be righties

handedness of forwards is very overrated

way more important on D

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

The starting lineups are meaningless.

Look at the minutes. How in the world do you play your way down in 4 games from the start? You don't. Mercer was pencilled in to the 3rd line from preseason.

Here are his top 10 5v5 line combos

1 92:35 8.0 TIMO MEIER - MICHAEL MCLEOD - DAWSON MERCER 4 7 -3 39 47 45.3 76 105 42.0
2 75:36 6.6 ONDREJ PALAT - TOMAS NOSEK - DAWSON MERCER 3 2 1 45 36 55.6 82 71 53.6
3 69:55 6.1 ERIK HAULA - TIMO MEIER - DAWSON MERCER 2 2 0 26 28 48.1 65 71 47.8
4 66:21 5.8 CURTIS LAZAR - TIMO MEIER - DAWSON MERCER 2 1 1 38 33 53.5 83 77 51.9
5 64:25 5.6 ERIK HAULA - DAWSON MERCER - ALEXANDER HOLTZ 2 4 -2 28 36 43.8 59 56 51.3
6 63:14 5.5 TYLER TOFFOLI - JACK HUGHES - DAWSON MERCER 5 5 0 37 32 53.6 79 61 56.4
7 61:06 5.3 ERIK HAULA - NICO HISCHIER - DAWSON MERCER 4 1 3 28 24 53.8 63 59 51.6
8 53:39 4.7 TIMO MEIER - NICO HISCHIER - DAWSON MERCER 1 2 -1 26 34 43.3 48 63 43.2
9 48:30 4.2 ERIK HAULA - CURTIS LAZAR - DAWSON MERCER 1 2 -1 27 19 58.7 32 40 44.4
10 43:06 3.7 TIMO MEIER - DAWSON MERCER - ALEXANDER HOLTZ 2 1

Last edited:

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

I’m assuming whoever we acquire for the top 6 will be a lefty. I could care less what hand they are when both Bratt and Meier prefer their off hand.

Injury likely hobbled Nosek all last year, even after his return. I don’t think we ever saw what Nosek can really do. Let’s see how he looks in camp this fall.
He won’t make it to camp this fall. I can’t see us signing him and think there’s a better chance he’s out of the league after last season.

Reactions: tailfins

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Different guy. William Carrier is going to FA.

god damnit! mixing up my frenchies

Three right handed shots out of twelve is very few. Its not something thats ideal therefore I dont see them doing it if they can afford not to

Florida just won the Cup and their only righty forwards were Reinhart, Rodrigues, Stenlund (barely played), and Okposo (barely played)

it isn't a big deal

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Three right handed shots out of twelve is very few. Its not something thats ideal therefore I dont see them doing it if they can afford not to
I feel like we talked about this the other day. Handness doesn’t matter if they prefer playing on their offhand.

Right now on the wings:

LW:
Palat
Cotter
Foote
MacDermid
Haula (if not at C)

RW:
Bratt
Meier
Mercer
Bastian