Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
we were playing AHL garbagemen in the bottom 6 last year when all the injuries hit

this declaration that the bottom 6 will be worse than last year is baseless.

Didn't you say not too long ago that Nosek was garbage? And wasn't he part of that bottom 6?

The bottom 6 was bad. It's fair to say they were forced to play over their heads, but it was extremely noticeably worse than when it had Rango, Wood, Boqvist, etc. It is what it is. It's our biggest missing piece, IMO, even prior to adding Markstrom.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I see it as one spot in the top six is open. Hischier and Hughes in the middle are set. Bratt, Meier, and Mercer to me are the wings. So one spot, with Palat and Haula dropping to the third line. Would like an upgrade for their wing. The rest can make a much, much, MUCH better fourth line that can play hockey.

I think we need a more middle 6er or 3rd line caliber player playing up in the top 6 with the limited space. Then a cheap guy for the 3rd line and a 4C

Reactions: forceten

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Didn't you say not too long ago that Nosek was garbage? And wasn't he part of that bottom 6?

The bottom 6 was bad. It's fair to say they were forced to play over their heads, but it was extremely noticeably worse than when it had Rango, Wood, Boqvist, etc. It is what it is. It's our biggest missing piece, IMO, even prior to adding Markstrom.

I didnt say it was good last year? I am saying to just imply that the bottom 6 are going to be worse this coming year than this past year is nonsense.

I dont care about Nosek either way.

We have much bigger issues than the bottom 6. Need to lock down Pesce and Dillon and probably a winger. That pushes everything into place.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I’m a bit lower on Duclair because I don’t really want any guys who are defensive black holes unless they’re going to be stars. He should certainly be able to produce a ton with Jack-Bratt though

He's a guy you pick up at the deadline to improve a team but I wouldn't hate him as a tweener middle 6 guy. Depending if Timo looks better defensively in Keefe's system, a Duclair-Nico-Timo line could be fire

Reactions: Hisch13r

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
if he's in the bottom 6 all year he won't "bounce back"

And the only reason I’d expect him to be in that position is if he underperforms again. I don’t see that happening because I’m confident in him as a player and worker. He feels like the kind of player that Keefe will put in situations to thrive.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I think Fitz watched the same playoffs we did and came to the same conclusion: the Devils as they were constructed in 2023-24 wouldn't have survived against the Panthers (or even the Rangers).

It feels like he's trying to build a team that could win the Cup next year. I know that's always the goal, but Pesce, Kovacevic, Cotter - these feel like moves you make when you've got a contender.

Which - good for him. I'm not certain the Devils are a Cup contender quite yet, but I'm excited that the GM is setting the bar that high.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
He's a guy you pick up at the deadline to improve a team but I wouldn't hate him as a tweener middle 6 guy. Depending if Timo looks better defensively in Keefe's system, a Duclair-Nico-Timo line could be fire
I could be wrong, but I'd rather have Duclair in the regular season than in the playoffs. Not much of a playoff type guy in my opinion. Could help us out in the regular season when things are a little more open.

I still don't really want him though lol

Reactions: Guttersniped

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I think Fitz watched the same playoffs we did and came to the same conclusion: the Devils as they were constructed in 2023-24 wouldn't have survived against the Panthers (or even the Rangers).

It feels like he's trying to build a team that could win the Cup next year. I know that's always the goal, but Pesce, Kovacevic, Cotter - these feel like moves you make when you've got a contender.

Which - good for him. I'm not certain the Devils are a Cup contender quite yet, but I'm excited that the GM is setting the bar that high.

I just don't see them winning the cup next year, even if they have the talent to do so. They're so inexperienced

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

I think people REALLY underestimate the talent of that Panthers team to focus on the physicality. Their 5-8 forwards were Tarasenko, Rodrigues, Lundell, and Bennett. Their 8th guy would be our 5th. I do agree the 23-24 Devils probably don't beat the Rangers but the 22-23 Devils would've.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00