Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Man, I’m just so bummed after day two of the draft.

I wanted Buium day 1, but after reading a bit more about Silayev I’m completely fine with the pick and excited to watch his D+1.

I didn’t mind the trades, but my god, just zero swings on high ceiling guys. Double overagers at a half ppg in juniors while Carolina gets a 17 year old 5’8 guy that was well over a ppg last year. STI is so miffed it doesn’t look like he’s even going to bother writing up the picks. I don’t blame him, there are so many kids he was excited about as mid/late round swings and we just pissed away the picks.

Even Pikkarainen, who he liked, was drafted like two rounds before he thought he should have been.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

I wanted Buium day 1, but after reading a bit more about Silayev I’m completely fine with the pick and excited to watch his D+1.

I didn’t mind the trades, but my god, just zero swings on high ceiling guys. Double overagers at a half ppg in juniors while Carolina gets a 17 year old 5’8 guy that was well over a ppg last year. STI is so miffed it doesn’t look like he’s even going to bother writing up the picks. I don’t blame him, there are so many kids he was excited about as mid/late round swings and we just pissed away the picks.

Even Pikkarainen, who he liked, was drafted like two rounds before he thought he should have been.

all due respect, but I don't really know why you'd base your opinion fully on one person's breakdown? I think Steven does good work, but he has been wrong plenty in his assessments. Pronman loved our draft, for example.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

I was happy with the 2nd round pick and everything after round 2 is basically a dart throw anyway, so I'm not going to get upset about the draft in general.

I think passing on Buium is going to sting, but otherwise it's hard to complain about random picks from round 3 and after.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
But seriously/not seriously… what if Stamkos makes a painting and then Palat buys it from him for 2 million dollars?
This is art.

Well then it depends on whether or not the FBI likes you....if they like you no problem. If not, they'll shoot Palat's dog in the middle of the night with night vision scopes.

But I think Palat needs to make painting and Stamkos needs to buy it because they won't question a Steven.
...But when the FBI sees the name Ondřej they are definitely coming in shooting.
This is a Rorschach test. To the loony bin with you.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I personally don’t mind our moves. I like the Cotter add. I’m sad to see Schmid and Holtz go, but that’s the way it goes. I see the trade as Holtz for a 3rd, Schmid for Cotter.

As for Marino, I think two 2nds we can use for a trade or to draft is good. I also like the prospect of Pesce signing with us. His defensive game and lane defense is exciting. He’s also a good skater and puck mover from what I’ve seen.

I think Fitz wants a good mixture, speed and skill, but with an added edge and intensity/roughness. I don’t think he’s sacrificing speed or our identity. By all accounts, Cotter is a physical dude but he’s intense and he can skate.

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
What did people think of the Hayes, Sergachev, and Thompson trades? If I was omniscient those would’ve been trades I’d be looking at—

Hayes: 3rd line minutes, ok production, big center winger to play with Jack. Great on the dot this past year. Came with a 2nd in exchange for future considerations. 2 years left at $3.75. Pretty crazy I must be missing something here. Seems like ceiling is that 30+ goal scorer for Jacks wing and floor is 20-30 point slightly overpaid 3rd liner

Sergachev: top pairing defenseman, seems to be solid defensively. I would’ve considered one of the 25 2’s, Marino, and I guess Lenni (not sure who else in the system matches Geekie’s value. Then the 10th pick could’ve been used elsewhere. Would’ve given the stabilizing presence on the left side and they could’ve dumped Siegs and skip out on Silayev. It’s a tough contract though and I don’t know if they had the value to make it work

Thompson: seems like a solid goalie, not making much money. Went for a 3rd. Would’ve been my preferred backup over Allen or possibly the 1a in a 1a-1b situation with Allen (instead of the Markstrom trade)

Again, I don’t know if Fitz knew about these deals and in some cases I’m asking him to turn back time, but I’m curious what people thought of the players and the values it cost to get them.

Reactions: mdj12784

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
What did people think of the Hayes, Sergachev, and Thompson trades? If I was omniscient those would’ve been trades I’d be looking at—

Hayes: 3rd line minutes, ok production, big center winger to play with Jack. Great on the dot this past year. Came with a 2nd in exchange for future considerations. 2 years left at $3.75. Pretty crazy I must be missing something here. Seems like ceiling is that 30+ goal scorer for Jacks wing and floor is 20-30 point slightly overpaid 3rd liner

Sergachev: top pairing defenseman, seems to be solid defensively. I would’ve considered one of the 25 2’s, Marino, and I guess Lenni (not sure who else in the system matches Geekie’s value. Then the 10th pick could’ve been used elsewhere. Would’ve given the stabilizing presence on the left side and they could’ve dumped Siegs and skip out on Silayev. It’s a tough contract though and I don’t know if they had the value to make it work

Thompson: seems like a solid goalie, not making much money. Went for a 3rd. Would’ve been my preferred backup over Allen or possibly the 1a in a 1a-1b situation with Allen (instead of the Markstrom trade)

Again, I don’t know if Fitz knew about these deals and in some cases I’m asking him to turn back time, but I’m curious what people thought of the players and the values it cost to get them.
Cant afford Hayes or Sergachev and we have 2 goalies so Thompson is pointless

dls

Jan 20, 2009
Do you think we are going to get a bertuzzi/domi given the Keefe connection to fill out the top 9?

We can fit a Bertuzzi/Domi Debrusk is pushing it

Debrusk prob will be 6/6
Bertuzzi 5/4
Domi 4/4

Which fits best?

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
I wouldnt claim to know about prospects but some of these trades are confusing from an asset management prospective. I’m willing to wait and see what happens with the UFA.

Literally none of this matters. The only thing that matters is Jack recovering his shoulder to a real 100% and getting in the weight room, working with trainers/medical staff. All of their focus needs to be on him preparing to not be a contact adverse player. If that doesn’t happen, this is all meaningless and the team is completely screwed. Literally nothing else matters.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
We want a more defensive/physical guy for less money?

I ask that as a question because I am not sure.

Yea style of play is the reason. My guess is Fitz feels that the top 2 LHD spots are covered with Sieg and Luke. You arent going to give Skjei the money he will get to be on your 3rd pairing.

To me that Devils are trying to build pairings that have 1 defensive defenseman and 1 offensive defenseman. Skjei doesnt really fit that math. If the rumors are true thats exactly how the defense will look.

Sieg - Hamilton
Luke - Pesce
Dillon - Simon

Only time will tell if these guys actually sign.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yea style of play is the reason. My guess is Fitz feels that the top 2 LHD spots are covered with Sieg and Luke. You arent going to give Skjei the money he will get to be on your 3rd pairing.

To me that Devils are trying to build pairings that have 1 defensive defenseman and 1 offensive defenseman. Skjei doesnt really fit that math. If the rumors are true thats exactly how the defense will look.

Sieg - Hamilton
Luke - Pesce
Dillon - Simon

Only time will tell if these guys actually sign.
I kind of feel they would like to upgrade over Sieg's, and in some ways Dillon could be, but Sieg's Hamilton, given how good it was in 22-23 I think will be a pair that plays a bunch, while Dillon Nemec may be used a bit more lightly.

Last edited:
Reactions: dls

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It's june 30. The 2024 development camp starts today. Is there any posting of the roster? There has always been such in the past, but I can't find one anywhere.

The draft was the big talk. It's over and nothing has been posted about the development camp other than it started today. I know I'm interested in keeping up with it, but I can't do it if nobody in NJ is gonna help out.

Thanx!

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
We have 19.7M in Cap Space to worm with.

Are we able to sign Pesce, Dillon, a top 6 guy like Debrusk and a 3rd line Center like Henrique and stay under the cap, given we most will also re-sign Mercer to a bridge.

In my opinion we need four players.

Bratt - Nico - X1/Mercer
Timo - Hischier - Mercer/X1
Haula/X2- Haula/X2 - Palat
Cotter - Lazar - Bastian

Seigenthaler - Hamilton
Hughes - Pesce (X3)
X4 - Nemec

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
We have 19.7M

Are we able to sign Pesce, Dillon, a top 6 guy like Debrusk and a 3rd line Center like Henrique and stay under the cap, given we most will also re-sign Mercer to a bridge.

In my opinion we need four players.

Bratt - Nico - X1/Mercer
Timo - Hischier - Mercer/X1
Haula/X2- Haula/X2 - Palat
Cotter - Lazar - Bastian

Seigenthaler - Hamilton
Hughes - Pesce (X3)
X4 - Nemec
After Pesce, Dillon, Mercer, and Foote, we should have about 5.5M to 7.5M for the 2 forwards you talked about.

So a Henrique and Debrusk is unlikely. 1 sure and then someone lesser. Could see Henrique and some other cheap middle 6 winger.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
After Pesce, Dillon, Mercer, and Foote, we should have about 5.5M to 7.5M for the 2 forwards you talked about.

It's going to be tough to squeeze in two more forwards via free agency. But I don't know who we have in our pool who realistically can slide into a 3rd line role. We thought it was going to be Holtz or Clarke but obviously those arent options anymore.

I'm not very confident about having Cotter take 3rd line duties and Foote sliding into the 4th line.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
It's june 30. The 2024 development camp starts today. Is there any posting of the roster? There has always been such in the past, but I can't find one anywhere.

The draft was the big talk. It's over and nothing has been posted about the development camp other than it started today. I know I'm interested in keeping up with it, but I can't do it if nobody in NJ is gonna help out.

Thanx!
Holy crap its also shorter the normal, earlier then normal and I havent seen anything about it.

I guess they decided not to make it as big of a deal as they have in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad