Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sounds like Predators are favorite for Stamkos.
After dumping McDonagh back on them at the beginning of the offseason, and even after shipping out Sergachev and Jeannot today? Why did they even need to do that (I mean Sergachev, Jeannof is not at all unexpected) if they aren’t gonna sign Stamkos? Unless they have bigger plans in mind to replace him?

Not taking back McDonagh + still getting rid of Sergachev and Jeannot surely should have given them enough to re-sign Stamkos?

I processed a bit. The thing that sucks is we tanked holtz and schmids value. It's POSSIBLE they're both average and we end up winning the trade. The issue is "what if we were wrong"? What if Lindy and our goaltending coaches just sucked and we got suckered in this deal?

Ultimately they didn't fit with us based on what we have and we end up net positive... I just hate potential sellers remorse
After hearing Fitz’s comments on Holtz after Lindy was fired, I don’t think Holtz was a Lindy thing. Holtz seemed to be an organization thing.

As far as the goalie coach goes, yes I’m pretty sure just sucks.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
After dumping McDonagh back on them at the beginning of the offseason, and even after shipping out Sergachev and Jeannot today? Why did they even need to do that (I mean Sergachev, Jeannof is not at all unexpected) if they aren’t gonna sign Stamkos? Unless they have bigger plans in mind to replace him?

Not taking back McDonagh + still getting rid of Sergachev and Jeannot surely should have given them enough to re-sign Stamkos?

After hearing Fitz’s comments on Holtz after Lindy was fired, I don’t think Holtz was a Lindy thing. Holtz seemed to be an organization thing.

As far as the goalie coach goes, yes I’m pretty sure just sucks.
The rumor is Tampa the favorite for Guentzel.

Reactions: Bleedred

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
LMAO he did not get good value.

Do tell me what he should have gotten for them and from where. Do tell
You attack

Then you don’t answer

IMG_3983.gif

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Don't confuse me with someone that thought Holtz was good. But how many times have we read about how someone's value is decreased because we know they want out? Same situation here. I don't think Holtz should have returned a great player, but we didn't help ourselves by making it so obvious.
I think we were trying to trade him well before you saw anything.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
I'm still a bit worried about a Cotter-Lazar-Bastian/Foote/whoever 4th line. Bastian was always just complimentary to McLeod, who did most of the play driving and puck carrying. Looking at the numbers Cotter seems somewhat the same.

Cotter put up far worse numbers on the 4th line (as to be somewhat expected) The combo of Cotter-Howden-Kolesar performed FAR worse than any of the players did on their own. Under 40 CF% and under 35 xGF%. Probably a big part of why Cotter didn't see the lineup when they were healthy in the playoffs.

Meanwhile Karlsson and Roy, their 2C and 3C actually performed better in terms of xGF% with Cotter then without. He does some dirty work, crashes the net, etc making life easier for those linemates who are better with the puck on their stick. While it doesn't have to be a McLeod replacement even a Boqvist type guy, it might be a good fit at 4C in between Cotter and whoever is at RW. Not sure if Lazar is the guy despite really liking his game last year. I'm mildly worried Cotter might be a guy that has to slot in the middle 6 / with more talented guys to be effective.

I get that at this point a 2nd line winger, and hopefully a 3rd line winger are higher on the priorities list. This might be more of something we address at the deadline but just something I wanted to put out there

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Isnt Dillon 34 now and he is the guy everyone wants.
On a 1-2 year deal I'm fine with Dillon, but I have a feeling we're going to give him 3 years, which combined with likely signing Pesce for 6 years worries me. And it's not because I think Pesce isn't good, he's just at that age (turns 30 in November) where I wonder how long he'll be at his current level and the wisdom of swapping a younger, cheaper (and lesser) player out for him.

To be honest, the way we've handled this offseason so far makes me feel a little uneasy. It kind of has the feel of overcorrecting for toughness/grit/sandpaper/hard to play against/whatever you want to label it. Hopefully that feeling ends up looking like needless hand wringing and everything works out fine. Maybe it's just lingering pessimism after this last season.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
On a 1-2 year deal I'm fine with Dillon, but I have a feeling we're going to give him 3 years, which combined with likely signing Pesce for 6 years worries me. And it's not because I think Pesce isn't good, he's just at that age (turns 30 in November) where I wonder how long he'll be at his current level and the wisdom of swapping a younger, cheaper (and lesser) player out for him.

To be honest, the way we've handled this offseason so far makes me feel a little uneasy. It kind of has the feel of overcorrecting for toughness/grit/sandpaper/hard to play against/whatever you want to label it. Hopefully that feeling ends up looking like needless hand wringing and everything works out fine. Maybe it's just lingering pessimism after this last season.

I dont believe that adding 2 vets on the D to help with Luke and Simon is going to be bad for this team.

Marino just didnt fit with Luke. Bahl while ok was also young. If you can put someone like Dillon, if he signs, with Simon he also can open up the offense some. Just so happens that Dillon also has have over 200 hits and 100 blocked shots each of his last 3 seasons.

Pesce isnt here to be physical because hes not, he only had 25 hits last season. He'e here to be an elite PK guy and and anchor so that Luke can be creative and not have to worry. Marino couldnt provide that safety.

Over all to me at least on the defense it makes sense and I dont see an over correction there. Ill wait to see what he does with the forwards before I make any judgements there. I do like Cotter as a bottom 6 guy. We will see how he looks overall.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The reason the Devils have been bleeding skill is that they had pretty lousy 2018, 2019, and 2020 drafts. I'd love to have a team that can just keep reloading year after year but that is not what the Devils have, sadly, they have drafted like absolute shit at forward. Gritsyuk should be good, everyone else is lousy. This is where not having those 2nd round picks in 2018, 2019, and 2020 comes in - we should have a decent forward out of those drafts that we're missing.

IMG_8195.gif

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Yep. I don't like what Fitz is doing. It's a whiplash overreaction. Instead of balancing the team, feels like he's just going to lose the skill/speed advantage of the Devils' core players.

This is much what Keefe wanted in Toronto, trading for the Lyubushkins and Edmundsons, and 4th liners every trade deadline, and then wondering where their offensive identity went.

Worrying trend for me.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024

But what if it is an overreaction but just for one offseason to jump start that change? Draft guys for this and maintain a cycle for 2-3 years

For example, Dillon with three years is fine - keep him for two move him the third. Pesce for 6 is fine, move him in year 4 or 5. Dougie in year 6 or 7. Palat after another year maybe. Whatever UFA winger we eventually get and give longer than expected term to, same difference

Most of these guys wont cost much if anything to move other than picks in later drafts; teams have been showing the ability to consistently move contracts, and as long as there isnt more than 1-2 years term left it tends not cost much

As long as theyre sprinkled out over time as to not deplete entire drafts in succession, it can be done properly.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Fitzgerald is building an identity this and probably next year - then when prospects start coming in who fit his plan, he can start using assets in other ways

I dont think overspending on some things for a year or two to set basis with the high end talent we already have is a bad thing; unfortunate but not bad, no team or GM is perfect

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I made a joke about Palat giving Stamkos some of his money to come here. I see it caused a debate about the legality of it. I understand this is my fault and I promise, in the future, I will make the same types of stupid jokes and not clarify that they are in fact, just stupid jokes. If you take them seriously going forward, this is on you.
But seriously/not seriously… what if Stamkos makes a painting and then Palat buys it from him for 2 million dollars?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
So right now, we've got 9 forwards signed with Cotter and including Bastian. It will make 11 with Mercer and Foote, if you want to include him. Two forward adds would be ideal. I’m not sure who would be the best addition that could fill into the top 6 that is realistic. I see Teravainen is out there, I assume he probably isn’t the best fit based on what we already have? I don't know if Arvidsson falls into that same category but he's always a player I really liked.

Someone like that and one of the many bottom 6 type forwards would be cool with me.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
So right now, we've got 9 forwards signed with Cotter and including Bastian. It will make 11 with Mercer and Foote, if you want to include him. Two forward adds would be ideal. I’m not sure who would be the best addition that could fill into the top 6 that is realistic. I see Teravainen is out there, I assume he probably isn’t the best fit based on what we already have? I don't know if Arvidsson falls into that same category but he's always a player I really liked.

Someone like that and one of the many bottom 6 type forwards would be cool with me.
Foote is making the Devils this year. He looked the part in a small sample size last year. I’d love to see a big offseason skating wise but it just doesn’t usually happen with NA players other than Blake Coleman.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
But seriously/not seriously… what if Stamkos makes a painting and then Palat buys it from him for 2 million dollars?
Well then it depends on whether or not the FBI likes you....if they like you no problem. If not, they'll shoot Palat's dog in the middle of the night with night vision scopes.

But I think Palat needs to make painting and Stamkos needs to buy it because they won't question a Steven.
...But when the FBI sees the name Ondřej they are definitely coming in shooting.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
foote looked good but the frequency of his back problems at this age is concerning. i don’t have much hope of him being a viable contributor, mainly because i don’t see him sticking in the lineup enough

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
foote looked good but the frequency of his back problems at this age is concerning. i don’t have much hope of him being a viable contributor, mainly because i don’t see him sticking in the lineup enough
He should be the 13th or 14th forward. I'm not sure if Bastian will be pencilled in on the 4th line so I'd say in an ideal world, we add another 4th liner that can play C (pushing Lazar to RW potentially).

MacDermid signing makes no sense since that makes all this difficult.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad