Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
I don’t really think it’s comparable

Severson got 8 years and was looking for 8

Pesce can handle top 4 minutes and pk I’m not sure Damon would handle that
Also I dont think anyone expected Marino to regress as much as he did. I wouldn't be shocked if theres some character stuff too, Fitzy alluded to some players treating it like a country club this yr... Marino and Holtzy out...may say something

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I agree with a lot of this. I'm with you that I'd rather Fitz look forward than backward. He should be proactive, not reactive. Which is why I'm fine moving on from Holtz and Schmid, if you don't have a spot for them year then why bother hanging on? Just rip the band-aid off and get it over with.

I just think that these attempts to plug certain holes are opening up larger, more valuable holes elsewhere. 18 months ago we had surplus talent, now we're having trouble icing a full top-12. This didn't happen over night, we've slowly been bleeding skill for a bit now. We're getting slower and more simple, and I don't think that's the right direction to go in after committing to Jack, Nico, and Bratt as the core.

I'm not expecting +50 wins every year. I'm fine with getting more physical, but getting "harder to play against" shouldn't come at the cost of what made you a great team. It looks to me like they're banking way, way too hard on Jack carrying this forward group and I just think that's a losing strategy.
who have we lost that you would preferred to have kept?

Sharangovich was maybe a miss.
Holtz I think just didnt work here and wouldnt have had the proper time to develop now that we want to contend.
Wood wasnt exactly bad.. or.. good? Idk he felt fine for what he was but maybe became a bit too expensive.
Anderson could have maybe been decept bottom-6 depth and he plays the way they want.
Zacha was a tough one, I personally would have kept him but maybe the change of scenery is what did it for him so im happy hes happy.
McLeod is a Pejorative Slur.
Boqvist I dont think was much other than speed and some flair when he got open.

Im probably missing a few, maybe even an important one, but I dont feel as though the talent weve bled is bad to any extent that we wont be able to ice a true contender. Maybe weve lost in value on some of those deals but weve managed to not take a big risk with any of our top-6 talent (besides Holtz if you feel that way)

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
LMAO he did not get good value.
Markstrom is a two year solution if he stays healthy and doesnt decline due to his age.

and we now have a zillion young goalie prospects that might be ready to step in at the end of Markstrom's 2 years. Lets worry about that when the time comes.

I am more concerned with 24-25 than I am 26-27.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ya he’s done. You’re upset about that? He sucks

No I just had no idea lmfao
He's probably still listed because of this moment he's still Devils property and will be for the next 40 hours or so.

I liked the signing and he was probably going to be fine for us, but had two (or maybe it was the same one? He got injured, came back for a minute and went right back out for a long time) injuries and looked pretty bad upon return. He's also turning 32 right before camp starts. For some reason there were a few people that were very enamored with him later in the year and were calling for him to be re-signed. I'm not sure if it was the lack of center depth that made a few people pine for him or if they thought maybe we'd get the Nosek we thought we were getting before he got injured.

Either way, teams almost never bring guys back like that after a season like he just had (most of it lost to injury and his time in the lineup being highly underwhelming at best) when they're an upcoming UFA. Nosek was also a later signing last offseason. Not a really late one, but almost 3 weeks into free agency.

It was pretty obvious he wasn't coming back.

Now that I said all that and already guaranteed the end of his tenure here, he'll be signed sometime between a week after free agency starts and the week camp opens. Even if just as a PTO.:laugh:

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I actually think we need a lefty top 6.
Bratt-Meier-Mercer we are fine at RW.
Yes Bratt and Meier can play LW but they are not as effective on their natural side.
I very much like the idea of Domi on Jack Hughes line. Taking faceoffs for Jack and he has better offensive instincts than Huala, who we can push down to 3C.
I thought Bratt plays more LW, no? Bratt-Hischier-Meier for example

I could be mistaken but he also is a lefty and I was speaking more to our roster handedness

Meier, Hischier, Hughes, Bratt all lefties

Reactions: minibrodeur

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
Based on what? I'd be very interested in Arvidsson on a 1-2 year deal. Marchessault not so much given he will get term and overpaid.
What someone told me.

They also said the offer to JM could be the same as Pesce, which god no.

Marchessault is slow as f*** and tiny and is right at the age players fall off a cliff.

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
Yeah nobody wanted Holtz at this point. Akira is behind tons of goalies, and we just used a 2nd on one this draft and a late pick. Cotter seems solid. More work needs to be done, but we are much better already then last season. (assuming we sign pesce/dillon).

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
“LMAO”

Marino for two 2nds isn’t good value?

Schmid and Holtz who have little value for a 3rd and a depth forward isn’t good value?

Do tell me what he should have gotten for them and from where. Do tell
Id almost say Cotter can maybe be better than a depth forward; just quickly looking, under 13 ATOI and put up 25, with an even better pace the season prior same ATOI. If he works his way up (hes young, only 24 2/3 and probably l here a long while) he could maybe? become a third liner for us

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
We essentially need to sign 6 more guys to NHL contracts. We currently have 19.8M in cap space.

If 4/6 the signings are Mercer, Foote, Pesce, and Dillon, we should have anywhere from 5.5M - 7.5M in cap space to bring in 2 forwards.
That’s not as much as I would hope to be honest. Debrusk would be a nice add and then you might still have a little room for a half decent bottom 6 add.

Or you could go for 2 cheaper adds. Maybe a guy like Sprong but I don’t see them going for him
This is how I would allocate 19.8m.
Pesce $6m
Mercer $4m
Dillon $3m
Domi $3m (I would also accept Duchene and Henrique as alternative for Domi)
Trenin $2.5m
Nosek $1m (I would have him as 13th F over Foote, who I would sign but send to AHL)

Bratt-Hischier-Meier
Domi-JHughes-Mercer
Palat-Huala-Trenin
Cotter-Lazar-Bastian

Sigenthaler-Hamilton
LHughes-Pesce
Dillon-Nemec

Markstrom-Allen

Nosek-MacDermid-DeSimone

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
The rest of the league saw Holtz play. Devils didn’t “hose” him or his value.

He’s a lottery ticket pray with a rosary reclamation project at this point. I’m sure the “experts” on this board will lose their minds when Holtz has a goal but he has flat out sucked as a hockey player. That’s a fact to anyone with eyes, an IQ, and not some weird contrarian axe to grind against the Devils continuously or an eternal prospect status fetish to play to.

I’m sure Devils tried to get some team to buy into his 4 yr draft expiration date. He’s going to maybe the worst team for him where they won’t put up with his unintelligent sulky play. Cassidy is hard on young players. I give it maybe a couple weeks before he’s jettisoned to minors and he’ll be in Sweden in 2 yrs, book it.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Pesce $6m
Mercer $4m
Dillon $3m
Trenin $2.5m
Nosek $1m (I would have him as 13th F over Foote, who I would sign but send to AHL)

Bratt-Hischier-Meier
Domi-JHughes-Mercer
Palat-Huala-Trenin
Cotter-Lazar-Bastian

Sigenthaler-Hamilton
LHughes-Pesce
Dillon-Nemec

Markstrom-Allen

Nosek-MacDermid-DeSimone
Dillon will get more than 3 from us, we can cycle him and Siegenthaler as necessary

And we need a middle-6 forward not another 4th liner so Trenin is out I think

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Pesce $6m
Mercer $4m
Dillon $3m
Trenin $2.5m

Bratt-Hischier-Meier
Domi-JHughes-Mercer
Palat-Huala-Trenin
Cotter-Lazar-Bastian

Sigenthaler-Hamilton
LHughes-Pesce
Dillon-Nemec

Markstrom-Allen

Nosek-MacDermid-DeSimone
Foote isn’t going to the AHL and Nosek sucks. Don’t love the forward signings either but can’t say much because I don’t know exactly who I would target other than maybe Debrusk if that’s feasible

Dillon will get more than 3 from us, we can cycle him and Siegenthaler as necessary
Why will Dillon get more from us specifically? He seems to be generally projected at 2.5-3

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Foote isn’t going to the AHL and Nosek sucks. Don’t love the forward signings either but can’t say much because I don’t know exactly who I would target other than maybe Debrusk if that’s feasible

Why will Dillon get more from us specifically? He seems to be generally projected at 2.5-3
Because we will pay to secure him as it gives us a third pair guy... or first pair guy but around same minutes anyway

Hes really one of very few options in UFA and Skjei will cost a ton

Id give him 3.5, even 4 for two years if I had to just to make sure we get him. It seriously locked down the defense for good if we can (and Pesce rumors are legit)

I'm pretty ok with how our blueline is likely to look come Tuesday.

Forwards is what I'm curious/concerned about
What about Perron for a year, but higher money than giving two years? Righty for Jack who can handle his own and is a total vet in every sense

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
Pesce $6m
Mercer $4m
Dillon $3m
Trenin $2.5m

Bratt-Hischier-Meier
Domi-JHughes-Mercer
Palat-Huala-Trenin
Cotter-Lazar-Bastian

Sigenthaler-Hamilton
LHughes-Pesce
Dillon-Nemec

Markstrom-Allen

Nosek-MacDermid-DeSimone
Need to give Jack better players then that

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Foote should absolutely go to AHL given he had barely played last season due to injuries.
I think the 13th forward slot should be a center if we are forced to carry MacDermid. Nosek as a 5C is fine. I doubt their is a better 5C available as a free agent market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad