Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Stillman plays a game that we have gaps in - bottom 6 grinder.

Imagine if the Devils had Stankoven in the top 6 next to Meier/Nico or Zellweger on the blue line, Stillman will always be ridiculed for that reason alone by this fanbase. Fitz tried finding a Blake Coleman and whiffed tremendously. It also sucked that the Islanders beat the Bruins/Pens in 2021, that pick should've realistically been around the Wallstedt range

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Imagine if the Devils had Stankoven in the top 6 next to Meier/Nico or Zellweger on the blue line, Stillman will always be ridiculed for that reason alone by this fanbase. Fitz tried finding a Blake Coleman and whiffed tremendously. It also sucked that the Islanders beat the Bruins/Pens in 2021, that pick should've realistically been around the Wallstedt range

They weren’t just in the “the Wallstedt range”.

The Isles would have had the 20th pick if they didn’t make the ECF and Wallstedt was picked with the 20th pick.

Well technically, if Montreal didn’t make it to the Final Four in this alternative reality the Isles pick could have been the 21st.

But the only thing that mattered was the Isles beating Boston in the 2nd Rd. We got f***ed lol.

I felt a little better when Habs fans spent months gloating about getting a lottery pick from Florida in 2023 and then having that turn into the 31st pick.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
They weren’t just in the “the Wallstedt range”.

The Isles would have had the 20th pick if they didn’t make the ECF and Wallstedt was picked with the 20th pick.

Well technically, if Montreal didn’t make it to the Final Four in this alternative reality the Isles pick could have been the 21st.

But the only thing that mattered was the Isles beating Boston in the 2nd Rd. We got f***ed lol.

I felt a little better when Habs fans spent months gloating about getting a lottery pick from Florida in 2023 and then having that turn into the 31st pick.

Ya, I didn't want to go back and check what pick exactly it would've been. I just knew I was peeved that draft night when Wallstedt went where he did and knowing the Isles pick was around there. At the end of the day, Fitz still boned the pick regardless and there was talks that he would've moved the later first for a guy like Ristolanien before Chuck Fletcher saved us

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

Not to hijack the thread too much, but for those who know more about the CHL than me, how does this work? Surprised to see a kid born and raised in NJ to be selected to a team all the way over in the WHL. I thought it was usually region specific and assumed it would have to be the OHL?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Pretty much the entire league passed on Stankoven in between Dallas' first round pick of Wyatt Johnston and an entire round later when they got Stankoven. Yes, I had Stankoven as a 1st round pick, but that doesn't make him the obvious call, obviously. I also had Stankoven ranked over Johnston, which in hindsight also was wrong, but that was likely because Stankoven was such a joy to watch in the WHL while Johnston's entire OHL season was cancelled. In a 2021 re-draft, I'd argue Johnston should go #2 or #3 overall.

As for Zellweger, I always liked him but I still don't see him as the best LD taken after round 1 in 2021. In my mind, that player is more likely to be Stanislav Svozil, who was taken in the 3rd round... just one pick after we for some reason drafted Sami Salminen.

The Stillman critics would be wise to keep in mind that the 2021 Pandemic Draft was very difficult and there were risks selecting an OHLer whose entire OHL season had been cancelled. I think we can all say that a lot of teams missed on Wyatt Johnston and a lot of teams missed on Logan Stankoven and kudos to Dallas for some unbelievably great scouting. But NJ also got Luke Hughes -- who goes #1 overall in a 2021 re-draft -- so it's dicey to hind-sight shred the organization for what looks like a 4th liner in Stillman and what looks like an ECHLer in Salminen.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Pretty much the entire league passed on Stankoven in between Dallas' first round pick of Wyatt Johnston and an entire round later when they got Stankoven. Yes, I had Stankoven as a 1st round pick, but that doesn't make him the obvious call, obviously. I also had Stankoven ranked over Johnston, which in hindsight also was wrong, but that was likely because Stankoven was such a joy to watch in the WHL while Johnston's entire OHL season was cancelled. In a 2021 re-draft, I'd argue Johnston should go #2 or #3 overall.

As for Zellweger, I always liked him but I still don't see him as the best LD taken after round 1 in 2021. In my mind, that player is more likely to be Stanislav Svozil, who was taken in the 3rd round... just one pick after we for some reason drafted Sami Salminen.

The Stillman critics would be wise to keep in mind that the 2021 Pandemic Draft was very difficult and there were risks selecting an OHLer whose entire OHL season had been cancelled. I think we can all say that a lot of teams missed on Wyatt Johnston and a lot of teams missed on Logan Stankoven and kudos to Dallas for some unbelievably great scouting. But NJ also got Luke Hughes -- who goes #1 overall in a 2021 re-draft -- so it's dicey to hind-sight shred the organization for what looks like a 4th liner in Stillman and what looks like an ECHLer in Salminen.
Nobody goes ahead of Lane Hutson in any redraft of any season. Just accept that.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Meh, let's talk about Josh Anderson for Simon Nemec.
Oh, come on, you homer. We'd need to throw in Dawson Mercer and a 1st rounder to make that fair.

It looks like this might be possible if we throw in the #10OA and Seamus Casey.
Damn, you beat me to this joke by like 5 seconds. I'm writing you out of my will.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Pronman had Wyatt Johnston at #20 while other public rankings all had him at #50 or later. Bob had him at #40.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
2021 drafting was really difficult, but the re-draft is almost as bad. I'd have Luke Hughes at #1, but I'd be already biting my nails at choosing #2 between Beniers and Johnston. McTavish #4, Power #5 but then who is #6, Wallstedt, Stankoven or Edvinsson?

Man, did Dallas nail that draft. Not only Johnston and Stankoven but also a guy I'm confident will be an NHL defenseman in Grushnikov but a guy I feel still has a shot in Jack Bar. Alas, if the Devils had only listened to me and taken Svozil instead of Salminen, we'd be right there at the top with them. No idea why Fitzgerald never hired me, although the constant self-aggrandizement might have something to do with it.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
2021 drafting was really difficult, but the re-draft is almost as bad. I'd have Luke Hughes at #1, but I'd be already biting my nails at choosing #2 between Beniers and Johnston. McTavish #4, Power #5 but then who is #6, Wallstedt, Stankoven or Edvinsson?

Man, did Dallas nail that draft. Not only Johnston and Stankoven but also a guy I'm confident will be an NHL defenseman in Grushnikov but a guy I feel still has a shot in Jack Bar. Alas, if the Devils had only listened to me and taken Svozil instead of Salminen, we'd be right there at the top with them. No idea why Fitzgerald never hired me, although the constant self-aggrandizement might have something to do with it.

I mean, have you legitimately tried? Shared your prospect write-ups and your Devils priority order, with some short rationale?

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

For anyone w/ a subscription, who does Granger say he thinks goes?

UFAs:
Mantha - least likely to stay. (Side Note: zero playoffs goals in 16 games will likely hurt his market value.)
Stephenson - likely gone with the addition of Hertl
Martinez - the same, maybe he retires at 37.
Carrier & Amadio - depends on other moves

Trade candidates:
Whitecloud - If Hutton can replace him.
Theodore - Maybe, since they added Hanifin

Mantha
Stephenson
Martinez
one of Amadio or Carrier
Whitecloud or Theodore (potential trade)
Didn’t see this, but as always, wordier is better.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Fair write up, I think it's more so just these GM's look for copy cat players in the draft based on need whenever they have more than one pick. Also for the bold, you don't think he'd go first overall?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Fair write up, I think it's more so just these GM's look for copy cat players in the draft based on need whenever they have more than one pick. Also for the bold, you don't think he'd go first overall?
Well, my point was essentially that the 2021 draft was fumbled by many teams due to the difficulty in scouting during the pandemic. I don't blame the GMs or draft writers for 2021 like I would for other seasons.

As for Wyatt Johnston, I absolutely love the kid but I don't think he will win a Hart Trophy and I feel Luke Hughes will win a Norris or two, so I'm giving Luke the nod. Also, let's not sell Matty Beniers short -- he had a few struggles this year on a disappointing Seattle team, but I think he's going to be an absolute beast of a 1C for several seasons to come.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Well, my point was essentially that the 2021 draft was fumbled by many teams due to the difficulty in scouting during the pandemic. I don't blame the GMs or draft writers for 2021 like I would for other seasons.

As for Wyatt Johnston, I absolutely love the kid but I don't think he will win a Hart Trophy and I feel Luke Hughes will win a Norris or two, so I'm giving Luke the nod. Also, let's not sell Matty Beniers short -- he had a few struggles this year on a disappointing Seattle team, but I think he's going to be an absolute beast of a 1C for several seasons to come.
The 2021 draft in every sport was pretty awful due to the pandemic tbqh. Sure, there are some hits in each sport but, overall, they're all pretty bad.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey

I really liked what I say from Guenther in a few of the Coyotes games I caught. Where would you rank him (if you don't mind me asking)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad