Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
This is very funny because Nico was the least of the Devils' problems last year, and while Jack was terrible when he was injured, he was incredible when he wasn't. It was pretty much everything else besides Bratt that was the problem.

The Oilers missed the playoffs when McDavid had 116 points and Draisaitl had 105. Your stars can carry you only so far.

When you're the captain and #1 overall pick of a team with high expectations like this, you need to do more than be adequate on the ice. I am holding him to a higher standard. Again, its preseason so there's no nail in the coffin for me yet, but I'm holding both the hammer and the nail.

• Haha
Reactions: njdevils1982

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
We tried the Timo on the 3rd line experiment. It doesn't work. You don't pay a player $9 million dollars to play on the 3rd line for him to be the "best player on the ice".
The Devils had Timo on the 3rd line was he was so badly hurt he could barely stand, I don’t think that is good evidence. You can put Bratt, Timo, or Hughes on the 3rd line and they’ll produce when healthy.

You do put a player on the 3rd line making $9 million if it makes your team win the most.

I think you want Bratt, Hughes, and Timo to be puck hogs. If any of them aren’t then you’re losing part of what makes them so good.

I don’t think any lines are set in stone; they would get stale if you don’t mix them up periodically, so guys will play all over the lineup at different times. The Devils should try many different looks during the season and they will end up doing this.

I do think the Devils are overwhelming if they have 3 lines with a puck dominant guy that is hard to stop rather than 2 lines with a puck dominant guy and one of those lines has a second guy who is now taking a back seat.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
thank u for letting us know!
No thank you(!) for creating an atmosphere where any critical discourse about the team is met with snide comments. The results on the ice speak for themselves. If any of us choose to vent our frustration on a message board, why not present your argument. I'm certainly willing to change my mind should you have some optimistic angle I haven't considered.

Reactions: HBK27 and Patrik26

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
This team hasn’t earned any benefit of the doubt. They have no equity. Until they prove it this year and change my mind, I will continue to put the blame squarely on the players. Specifically Nico and Jack. They need to dominate or they can go somewhere else.

a bold statement

one which i wholeheartedly disagree with

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
No thank you(!) for creating an atmosphere where any critical discourse about the team is met with snide comments. The results on the ice speak for themselves. If any of us choose to vent our frustration on a message board, why not present your argument. I'm certainly willing to change my mind should you have some optimistic angle I haven't considered.

You started this out by criticizing two of the only players who were and have been worth a shit recently.

"I am holding the hammer and the nail" is not "critical discourse" lol

Reactions: njdevils1982

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
The Devils had Timo on the 3rd line was he was so badly hurt he could barely stand, I don’t think that is good evidence. You can put Bratt, Timo, or Hughes on the 3rd line and they’ll produce when healthy.

You do put a player on the 3rd line making $9 million if it makes your team win the most.

I think you want Bratt, Hughes, and Timo to be puck hogs. If any of them aren’t then you’re losing part of what makes them so good.

I don’t think any lines are set in stone; they would get stale if you don’t mix them up periodically, so guys will play all over the lineup at different times. The Devils should try many different looks during the season and they will end up doing this.

I do think the Devils are overwhelming if they have 3 lines with a puck dominant guy that is hard to stop rather than 2 lines with a puck dominant guy and one of those lines has a second guy who is now taking a back seat.

I do get the logic of spreading them out but Jack has always been substantially better with Bratt than without Bratt. They’ve got like a +60% xG together over the past 4 years. I keep them together.

I’ve had a lot of high noons today on this rainy day. I don’t like the vibes but I would be appalled if this team can’t grab a top 3 spot in a crappy Metro.

Yeah I also said somewhere else that we’re very lucky to be in the Metro rather than the Atlantic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad