Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
...and if we had somehow had the cap space for Mercer to get more, the complaint would be that we overpaid.

Robbed. :laugh:

His agent shouldn't have been looking for "more"....he should've been looking for LESS.

That 3rd year could be worth as much/more the than entire contract Dawson just signed in 2028.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Bratt's agent failed everything. He got less than he should every time he signed new deals.

Bratt's agent was brilliant.

First, only doing two years coming off his ELC

Second not settling for a cheap long term deal coming off the 2 years.

Bratt's first two deals after his ELC paid him 10.9 million over 3 years in 2020 to 20222 dollars with a dead cap.

Dawson's 3 years is 12M with a rising cap in 2025 dollars... that's highway robbery.

Bratt's agent played that perfectly, Dawson will leave a ton of money on the table agreeing to that 3rd year

Mercer has a couple of 30 goals seasons over the next two years that 3rd year in 2027 is easily worth 8+ million dollars. It was dumb to give up that third year.

Reactions: HersheyBob27

Camille the Eel

Bratt's agent was brilliant.

First, only doing two years coming off his ELC

Second not settling for a cheap long term deal coming off the 2 years.

Bratt's first two deals after his ELC paid him 10.9 million over 3 years in 2020 to 20222 dollars with a dead cap.

Dawson's 3 years is 12M with a rising cap in 2025 dollars... that's highway robbery.

Bratt's agent played that perfectly, Dawson will leave a ton of money on the table agreeing to that 3rd year

Mercer has a couple of 30 goals seasons over the next two years that 3rd year in 2027 is easily worth 8+ million dollars. It was dumb to give up that third year.
Assuming he doesn't get concussed and never play again. The security of the extra money at his point would appeal to me. It depends very much on whether one views the future are certainly rosy or as fraught with risk.

It's a nice bankable contract right now with that extra guaranteed dough.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Assuming he doesn't get concussed and never play again. The security of the extra money at his point would appeal to me. It depends very much on whether one views the future are certainly rosy or as fraught with risk.

It's a nice bankable contract right now with that extra guaranteed dough.
That's not security. That's just a bad strategic decision.

Camille the Eel

That's not security. That's just a bad strategic decision.
could be . . . would be for you is what you are saying I think and I'm sure a lot of people would agree . . . But he's the one who has to be the judge of whether he wants more money (that he can consider literally) in his pocket up front or whether he wants to go through the entire thing again a year earlier with the hope and indeed expectation of netting more then, as far as contracts are concerned. What's the value of a better nights sleep for an extra year? Plus maybe that's what this negotiation came down to, Fitz saying if he wanted this price they needed another year . . . and maybe Dawson wanted it over with.

It's not an irrational decision. I have signed business contracts for more money up front or for more extensive term, so as to avoid the insecurity later on.

"You'll never go broke making a dollar."

Just saying it's very subjective as to the experience of Mercer. I definitely could see, if it was me, taking an extra guaranteed 4 million year now, having the security, and forgetting about contracts until 2027. Plus they can always work on an extension, right, nothing to prevent that? In a mini way it's not that different from what both Nico and Jack did when they were his age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad