Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
We are so back

IMG_4866.jpeg

@Cheddabombs

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Unfortunately, I agree. The team plays completely different without him. It makes me very uneasy.

I'm hoping we don't confirm or deny this over the course of the year, and if we do, I'm hoping having a solid system will alleviate it, but in the past it's been very bad when he misses extended time.
This is on systems/coaching. Need to have a more solid plan B team game to keep afloat when injuries happen. I’m optimistic that Keefe is an upgrade there.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Just do the two years Fitz...give Mercer the same contract Bratt got... You don't have the space for the third year so just stop it.

Their production per game is almost identical - Bratt signed his first deal for 2 years - $2,750,000 3 years ago. That easily equates to 2 years - 3.5 today. Just do it...

I'm sure whoever the capologist is, they are insisting on that 3rd year but they're not willing to pay extra for it. They don't have the space for AAV to be over 4M and go into the season with any sort of cushion.

Two years throws a monkey wrench into their projections...with Noesen and Palat still on the books, Nemec needing a contract and a Nico extension up coming ... can't have Dawson coming off two years with arbitration rights... A 3rd year gets Noesen and Palat off the books and frees up 9+ million...too bad, not Dawson's problem. Just do the two years and end this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Camille the Eel

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Just do the two years Fitz...give Mercer the same contract Bratt got... You don't have the space for the third year so just stop it.

Their production per game is almost identical - Bratt signed his first deal for 2 years - $2,750,000 3 years ago. That easily equates to 2 years - 3.5 today. Just do it...

I'm sure whoever the capologist is, they are insisting on that 3rd year but they're not willing to pay extra for it. They don't have the space for AAV to be over 4M and go into the season with any sort of cushion.

Two years throws a monkey wrench into their projections...with Noesen and Palat still on the books, Nemec needing a contract and a Nico extension up coming ... can't have Dawson coming off two years with arbitration rights... A 3rd year gets Noesen and Palat off the books and frees up 9+ million...too bad, not Dawson's problem. Just do the two years and end this.

settle-down-butt-head.png

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Mercer's points/60 in his contract year was a touch more than HALF of what Bratt put up in his contract year

That Tomas Harley deal is bad for NJ

If Harley is worth $4M for two years Mercer is easily worth closer to 5.

For cripes sake Mercer has 64 career goals... Harley has 53 career points.
Harley just outscored Mercer by 14 points as a DEFENSEMAN who didn't even play on PP1.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Mercer is really going to set this board alight with his stalemate! Haha. I can sense we are about to enter another wave.

I don't know if I can survive reading another lengthy multi page debate about mercer.

Just sign a contract dude, you didn't kill it last season and you don't have much leverage!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Mercer's points/60 in his contract year was a touch more than HALF of what Bratt put up in his contract year

You got some faulty numbers there...or you don't know the contract years in question?

Bratts last year of his ELC he did 2.3 P/60

Dawson did 1.4 P/60

Their 3 years combined average Bratt did 1.9, 2.6, 2.3 = 2.26

Dawson 3 years combined average
1.9, 2.5, 1.4 = 1.93

It's kind of funny though.. the fact that he gets dinged by "rate" matrixs for playing every game and not getting injured....as well as a lot of those 5v5 minutes come following PK work...and never being scratched like Bratt and yet after a down year his P/60 is still very close

Last edited:

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
You got some faulty numbers there...or you don't know the contract years in question?

Bratts last year of his ELC he did 2.3 P/60

Dawson did 1.4 P/60

Their 3 years combined average Bratt did 1.9, 2.6, 2.3 = 2.26

Dawson 3 years combined average
1.9, 2.5, 1.4 = 1.93

It's kind of funny though.. that the fact that he gets dinged for playing every game and not getting injured...as well as a lot of those 5v5 minutes come following PK work...and never being scratched like Bratt and yet after a down year his P/60 is still very close
1.4 vs 2.3 is not even close.

1.93 vs 2.26 is also not all that close.

Shitting the bed colossally in a contract year MATTERS.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The debate was over ages ago - Mercer was bad with Nico, and he was bad with Jack. Both guys were significantly worse with him, and it wasn't just explained by the fact that Bratt would usually be the guy who would play RW with them when Mercer wasn't.

The Devils cannot commit long-term to a player who has bad results with both of their top 2 centers. I feel confident Mercer can overcome this, he has great small area skills and enough speed and smarts to become a solid forward.

On ice =/= Good to go, unfortunately

lol

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The debate was over ages ago - Mercer was bad with Nico, and he was bad with Jack. Both guys were significantly worse with him, and it wasn't just explained by the fact that Bratt would usually be the guy who would play RW with them when Mercer wasn't.

The Devils cannot commit long-term to a player who has bad results with both of their top 2 centers. I feel confident Mercer can overcome this, he has great small area skills and enough speed and smarts to become a solid forward.

lol

With this teams history who knows what injuries they will ask him to play through before realizing he actually needs to recover or get surgery...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad