Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Not gonna see him for awhile. Even he signs soon he will have to wait for his visa. Gotta wonder if he makes the trip to prague

Wait, what? Why wouldn’t he have a visa situated? He’s still under control of the same team he was playing for. Didn’t the visa issue only come into play for players who were playing in Canada and got shipped to a US team or vice versa?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Wait, what? Why wouldn’t he have a visa situated? He’s still under control of the same team he was playing for. Didn’t the visa issue only come into play for players who were playing in Canada and got shipped to a US team or vice versa?
I have no clue how this works at all but I would imagine "team control" is irrelevant to immigration? The contract is what matters, I'm assuming .

I do remember from work people on the H1-B visas that had contracts expired had to get new visas to get a new contract.

Last edited:

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I’m in the camp that you give Mercer a long term deal for a decent cap hit. Rather risk him not living up to the deal then a short term contract he out performs and asks for big time dollars with the cap going up. Gamble either way but if he underperforms on the long term deal you can always ship him out at some point

Reactions: My3Sons and Dialamo

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
How does EA NHL not have Luke on their fastest skaters list lol?
That’s him in the top right. He’s literally the fastest dman in the NHL.

He’s tied as the second fastest skater with McDavid.

1726637043198.png

1726637077924.png

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
According to The Athletic, Devils were not one of the finalist teams trading for Askarov but were a finalist in free agency for Stamkos.

Thinking of Stamkos in a Devils jersey is making me hard.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He still has several weeks until he needs the Czechia visa.
I don't think that's what Hersey
meant.... I think what he meant was it if takes a couple of weeks to get a visa to come back to the US... he'll miss the majority of camp and jeopardize going to Czech....

And when did they go from Czech Republic to Czechia? That seemed to happen overnight a year or so ago and I didn't get the memo.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I really do like a good Czech pilsner though. It's the perfect style if I want something not too heavy and not too light.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nubmer6

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Really good read regarding NJ's offseason:

On Markstrom, him and his agent had the Devils at/near the top of his list last season as we all figured:

“He basically picked New Jersey pretty early in the process and was fixated on New Jersey all last year,” Morris says. “It didn’t just come up at the trade deadline. There were behind-the-scenes, lengthy discussions in December, January and February.”

But it sounds like a deal was never really close:

“There were offers made back and forth, but nothing of substance to be quite honest,” Fitzgerald says. “We felt we made a really fair offer at the deadline — picks and prospects. I would say I really felt there was something in the works prior to that, but it didn’t happen.”

With Markström signed through 2025-26, the Flames didn’t have the same urgency to trade him as their pending unrestricted free agents. Hoping to leverage Markström’s strong first half of the season, Calgary seemed to want to get premium pieces back — perhaps Dawson Mercer — if it was going to accept a deal before the deadline.

The Devils didn’t offer enough to get the deal done. But Fitzgerald did put himself in position to make an offseason splash. He unloaded Vanecek’s cap hit ($3.4 million through 2024-25) at the deadline, trading him to the San Jose Sharks for Kaapo Kahkonen, whose contract would come off the books after the season. That opened cap space for the summer.

During the offseason, Fitz leveraged the fact that there were other goalie options and was adamant that there be salary retention. Calgary eventually was willing to make a deal for "less than they originally envisioned."

A few other quick blurbs. On Holtz:

“I was holding out hope that it would click with him,” Fitzgerald says. “We’re not in the hope business. We’ve accelerated the process. I don’t want to waste any more of our top players’ years away.”

On the Vegas trade overall:

“I know on paper what it looks like, but I’m trying to help build a team that can actually withstand the heavy teams in the league and play a different style — play any style, quite honestly,” he says.

Pesce:
Sure enough, in the hours after free agency opened July 1, Pesce agreed to a six-year contract with a $5.5 million cap hit. To help with their salary-cap situation, the Devils structured the deal in a way that made Pesce comfortable with a slightly lower average annual value than he perhaps could’ve gotten elsewhere. He has a no-trade clause for the first three years, plus a 15-team no-trade list for the final three. His camp also negotiated large signing bonuses early in the contract ($5 million in 2024-25 and $4 million in 2025-26 on top of a $2 million base salary both years) so he could get more money up front.

Dillon:
Dillon wanted a deal between two and four years for around the same AAV ($3.9 million) as his most recent contract. When his agent started talking with New Jersey about a three-year deal, the Devils offered around a $3.8 million AAV, and Dillon’s agent asked for around $4.25 million, the defenseman says. The two sides met between those numbers: Dillon signed for three years at a $4 million AAV.

Stamkos:
“I was in on the Steven Stamkos thing right until the end,” Fitzgerald says.

Heading into free agency, Fitzgerald got a call from Don Meehan, who represents Stamkos. The future Hall of Famer was headed to market, unable to come to terms with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Stamkos had identified New Jersey as a team he could help, Fitzgerald remembers Meehan saying.

“Then you start looking at the pieces,” Fitzgerald says. “There was no way we could’ve done what he got, but we stayed in the fight.”
Ultimately, Stamkos signed a four-year, $8 million AAV deal with Nashville. The Devils, who currently have less than $6 million in cap space and still need to sign Mercer, a restricted free agent, would have had to make trades to come close to that. The chances of actually landing Stamkos were always slim, but for Fitzgerald, the fact he was interested felt good.

Though Fitzgerald would’ve made an exception for a player like Stamkos — “When you get that phone call, you’ve got to take it,” he says — he didn’t view adding skill to the top six as a priority. The Devils already have that with players like Jack Hughes, Timo Meier, Nico Hischier and Jesper Bratt.

Interestingly, there was no mention of Marchessault in the article despite him (seemingly) being linked to the Devils by some on Twitter before signing in Nashville.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I really do like a good Czech pilsner though. It's the perfect style if I want something not too heavy and not too light.

There's a brewery in town here, Manskirt, that is one of their specialties. It's called Czechs and Balances since they operate out of the old bank in town. :laugh: Also make a solid porter and coffee stout as well.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
There's a brewery in town here, Manskirt, that is one of their specialties. It's called Czechs and Balances since they operate out of the old bank in town. :laugh: Also make a solid porter and coffee stout as well.

I know where that is...I have never been but I fish the Musconetcong River all the time. I'll probably be there at some point this fall... I'm going to have to stop in.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

“I was holding out hope that it would click with him,” Fitzgerald says. “We’re not in the hope business. We’ve accelerated the process. I don’t want to waste any more of our top players’ years away.”

“I know on paper what it looks like, but I’m trying to help build a team that can actually withstand the heavy teams in the league and play a different style — play any style, quite honestly,” he says.

I think this is pretty telling stuff, and I honestly respect Fitz for cutting the cord on Holtz when he did. I don't agree with how he was brought along, but the point that the process accelerated is key. The way 2023 played out for us, bringing in Timo and extending him, it was going to be a challenge to put Holtz in spots to succeed and develop while also looking to contend if he wasn't going to be able to play more meaningful minutes.

Instead, you bring in a heavier player in Cotter who can bring a different element to your bottom 6 than Holtz ever could. It's a shame that it didn't work out, and that draft selection will always stick out like a sore thumb, but Fitz did what he felt he had to do.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think this is pretty telling stuff, and I honestly respect Fitz for cutting the cord on Holtz when he did. I don't agree with how he was brought along, but the point that the process accelerated is key. The way 2023 played out for us, bringing in Timo and extending him, it was going to be a challenge to put Holtz in spots to succeed and develop while also looking to contend if he wasn't going to be able to play more meaningful minutes.

Instead, you bring in a heavier player in Cotter who can bring a different element to your bottom 6 than Holtz ever could. It's a shame that it didn't work out, and that draft selection will always stick out like a sore thumb, but Fitz did what he felt he had to do.
Yeah, while I have some issues with how it was all handled, at the end of the day it just wasn't going to happen for him here, so why drag it out? It was best for all parties to move on.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I was at Prudential last night for Twenty One Pilots and there's a comedy show Friday and another concert Saturday so the ice is probably going to be really bad on Sunday lol

Was there last night as well - really good show.

Maybe that's whey it's a night game on Sunday instead of in the afternoon - to give the ice somewhat of a chance of being decent.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Two years 3.5 is my call for sometime today or tomorrow. That's my prediction for Dawson

I'll bet money we hear this was about term... actually you'll have to read between the lines quite a bit but we'll hear it...if you listen closely.

The Devils need/want Dawson to sign 3 years. That's their sweet spot for up coming contracts and freed up cap space...and I'm sure the Dawson camp wants 1 or 2 years short of a long term deal fair deal.

Fitz will come out at some point and say we tried to do a longer deal but it couldn't be done due to cap restrictions...

Everyone will interpret that mean Dawson was offered a long term contract but the reality is Fitz will be talking about 3/4 years on the cheap as longer deal they wanted.

That's how I see this working out in the next 24 hours .

3 years Fitz won and raked Dawson over the coals, two years Dawson gets screwed for shorter duration...That has been the sticking point I bet.

Last edited:

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Really good read regarding NJ's offseason:

On Markstrom, him and his agent had the Devils at/near the top of his list last season as we all figured:

“He basically picked New Jersey pretty early in the process and was fixated on New Jersey all last year,” Morris says. “It didn’t just come up at the trade deadline. There were behind-the-scenes, lengthy discussions in December, January and February.”

But it sounds like a deal was never really close:

“There were offers made back and forth, but nothing of substance to be quite honest,” Fitzgerald says. “We felt we made a really fair offer at the deadline — picks and prospects. I would say I really felt there was something in the works prior to that, but it didn’t happen.”

With Markström signed through 2025-26, the Flames didn’t have the same urgency to trade him as their pending unrestricted free agents. Hoping to leverage Markström’s strong first half of the season, Calgary seemed to want to get premium pieces back — perhaps Dawson Mercer — if it was going to accept a deal before the deadline.

The Devils didn’t offer enough to get the deal done. But Fitzgerald did put himself in position to make an offseason splash. He unloaded Vanecek’s cap hit ($3.4 million through 2024-25) at the deadline, trading him to the San Jose Sharks for Kaapo Kahkonen, whose contract would come off the books after the season. That opened cap space for the summer.

During the offseason, Fitz leveraged the fact that there were other goalie options and was adamant that there be salary retention. Calgary eventually was willing to make a deal for "less than they originally envisioned."

Pesce:
Sure enough, in the hours after free agency opened July 1, Pesce agreed to a six-year contract with a $5.5 million cap hit. To help with their salary-cap situation, the Devils structured the deal in a way that made Pesce comfortable with a slightly lower average annual value than he perhaps could’ve gotten elsewhere. He has a no-trade clause for the first three years, plus a 15-team no-trade list for the final three. His camp also negotiated large signing bonuses early in the contract ($5 million in 2024-25 and $4 million in 2025-26 on top of a $2 million base salary both years) so he could get more money up front.

Dillon:
Dillon wanted a deal between two and four years for around the same AAV ($3.9 million) as his most recent contract. When his agent started talking with New Jersey about a three-year deal, the Devils offered around a $3.8 million AAV, and Dillon’s agent asked for around $4.25 million, the defenseman says. The two sides met between those numbers: Dillon signed for three years at a $4 million AAV.

Stamkos:
“I was in on the Steven Stamkos thing right until the end,” Fitzgerald says.

Heading into free agency, Fitzgerald got a call from Don Meehan, who represents Stamkos. The future Hall of Famer was headed to market, unable to come to terms with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Stamkos had identified New Jersey as a team he could help, Fitzgerald remembers Meehan saying.

“Then you start looking at the pieces,” Fitzgerald says. “There was no way we could’ve done what he got, but we stayed in the fight.”
Ultimately, Stamkos signed a four-year, $8 million AAV deal with Nashville. The Devils, who currently have less than $6 million in cap space and still need to sign Mercer, a restricted free agent, would have had to make trades to come close to that. The chances of actually landing Stamkos were always slim, but for Fitzgerald, the fact he was interested felt good.

Though Fitzgerald would’ve made an exception for a player like Stamkos — “When you get that phone call, you’ve got to take it,” he says — he didn’t view adding skill to the top six as a priority. The Devils already have that with players like Jack Hughes, Timo Meier, Nico Hischier and Jesper Bratt.

Interestingly, there was no mention of Marchessault in the article despite him (seemingly) being linked to the Devils by some on Twitter before signing in Nashville.
IMG_5587.jpeg

I tend to disagree with this philosophy to team building. You’re never going to get good enough to win playing every style possible and trying to do so takes away from what you’re best at.

Instead, I think you want to become so good at something that it makes it difficult for other teams to stop you succeeding at your game. If every line is fast or every line is physical then the other team won’t have enough guys who can effectively stop your game and eventually the opponent goes on tilt trying to stop you from winning those extra shifts.

I think teams that have a consistent philosophy up and down their lineup are better than if a team tries to piecemeal guys into their lineup to cover every weakness.

Jack of All Trades but Master of None is more likely to be a recipe where you’re not good enough at anything rather than being able to succeed in every situation.

Ultimately, I do think you can succeed with almost any philosophy, just my 2 cents on my preferred philosophy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad