Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
He really doesn't come out with more cash...he significantly lowers the earning potential of those 8 years by taking a cheap 2 year deal up front.

I'm mean that's what is going to happen, they are going to rob him for a couple of years to make sure everyone else gets paid but it's not good for Dawson at all.

Edit: if a two year cheap deal was even slightly palatable to the Mercer camp we would've seen a deal struck two months ago.
I dont necessarily agree it cant end up there (a 1/2-year deal) - the offseason needed to play-out first

And I dont think its bad for the Mercer camp - I understand your argument but unfortunately they may want to cash in on a higher cap later down the line

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
He really doesn't come out with more cash...he significantly lowers the earning potential of those 8 years by taking a cheap 2 year deal up front.

I'm mean that's what is going to happen, they are going to rob him for a couple of years to make sure everyone else gets paid but it's not good for Dawson at all.

Edit: if a two year cheap deal was even slightly palatable to the Mercer camp we would've seen a deal struck two months ago.
if Mercer wanted to maximize his earning potential, the easiest thing he could have done is played better last year.

I think y'all have posted with me long enough, you have probably seen a few rants. I am close to a player power absolutist. I think the draft and RFA system is hurting everybody but the absolute elite players all the time. I would completely change it if I had the power.

but Mercer isn't getting personally screwed by it. He's not an elite NHL talent. Non-elite talents don't get to have the universe spin around them. In the complex dance of the salary cap you can't prioritize everything and Fitz, correctly, has put Mercer lower on that priority list when it comes to handing out fat contracts, specifically because Mercer played like f***ing dogshit all year. If he came out and put up 30-45-75 last season, do you think we'd be here?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
if Mercer wanted to maximize his earning potential, the easiest thing he could have done is played better last year.

I think y'all have posted with me long enough, you have probably seen a few rants. I am close to a player power absolutist. I think the draft and RFA system is hurting everybody but the absolute elite players all the time. I would completely change it if I had the power.

but Mercer isn't getting personally screwed by it. He's not an elite NHL talent. Non-elite talents don't get to have the universe spin around them. In the complex dance of the salary cap you can't prioritize everything and Fitz, correctly, has put Mercer lower on that priority list when it comes to handing out fat contracts, specifically because Mercer played like f***ing dogshit all year. If he came out and put up 30-45-75 last season, do you think we'd be here?
Mercer is a wee little baby who has no control over his on-ice play because the evil and greedy Devils want to ruin his career for money and he has no power to do anything about it.

But he also deserves 50 million dollars though.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

Alright, because life is crazy and we are expecting son #2 in about a month, I'm putting this out a bit early on the eve of training camp for the season. Not my finest work, but always trying to put things out where I can, especially with the new season ahead.

Here's hoping for a big season! LFG

nice video, as always! and congrats

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Mercer's most common linemates this season were Nosek and Palat...his 5v5 time was barely different from last year and his increased ATOI was almost entirely from being the #2 PK forward in minutes on the team. It's impossible to argue he wasn't put in a much more defensive posture this season.

He was truly in a bottom 6 role and mainly with more defense oriented players virtually all season with the exception of getting to play a little bit of time with Jack and with an injured Meier for a good clip who couldn't score for more than half the year ...the half he played with Mercer.

His goals per 60 were barely different this season .9 from last 1.1....that's with playing a majority of his time with complete stiffs offensively.

His secondary assists were hardly different this year from last year...and the real difference was primary assist disappeared...how was going to get those playing with Nosek, Palat and Lazar?

It's quite ironic that the claim is Dawson should not be offered a long term contract because he had a down year....yet the largest obstacle in a long term deal is largely Tatar's 1.8...who is coming of a horrifically bad, career worse bad year....go figure?

Reactions: HersheyBob27

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
not again please...

1726585077267.png

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Alright, because life is crazy and we are expecting son #2 in about a month, I'm putting this out a bit early on the eve of training camp for the season. Not my finest work, but always trying to put things out where I can, especially with the new season ahead.

Here's hoping for a big season! LFG

If you wanted to have additional sons all you had to do was ask me. I have several available at various price points each offering different advantages. Sure they are somewhat pre-owned but I can have those scratches buffed out.

• Haha
Reactions: Better Call Sal

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
If Mercer proved he could play C, he'd be getting a longer term deal and the team would have done different things this offseason most likely to fit in his deal. But as a pure winger, who's not an obvious ice tilter at W he doesn't deserve a long term deal, it's been clear to me for a while at least.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
If Mercer proved he could play C, he'd be getting a longer term deal and the team would have done different things this offseason most likely to fit in his deal. But as a pure winger, who's not an obvious ice tilter at W he doesn't deserve a long term deal, it's been clear to me for a while at least.

Mercer being able to play C would be a huge boon to this team. Our organizational C depth after the big two is pitiful for a team with aspirations of competing.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019

Speaking of Tatar, he could bring some needed secondary scoring. Hopefully that chemistry pays off!

I wanted to say “so that’s what was missing for empty net goal scoring” but apparently they scored the same amount the last two seasons (7). The issue was allowed, 11 in 22-23, a whopping 27 in 23-24 😱
¡Carajo!

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Giving Mercer a 6x6 deal after his play last season would be moronic. Even if they had the money today I'd rather bridge him. Yeah, maybe he outperforms that deal, but I'll take that trade-off to see where he settles. We're set in theory in the top six for a long while, but if this team underperforms, who's to say they don't shake up the core? And maybe Mercer is a part of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad