Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
Just coming by to comment on 2 things:

1) I'm terrified that, since this is the Devils, Luke will either come back after the deadline and/or we hear about how his shoulder was "never right" in the exit interviews after the parade

2) New Erika seems pretty good but not sure we needed to get rid of original Erika. Did she price herself out? Is there a story around this that I'm missing?

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

1) I'm terrified that, since this is the Devils, Luke will either come back after the deadline and/or we hear about how his shoulder was "never right" in the exit interviews after the parade

2) New Erika seems pretty good but not sure we needed to get rid of original Erika. Did she price herself out? Is there a story around this that I'm missing?

I'm with you on point 1.

Also I get the feeling maybe Erika priced herself out, or wanted maybe a different setup (she has family now, vs a few years ago no kid).. maybe MSG would not accommodate certain changes/adjustments she would have liked? Or some other BS politics between msg and her.

I saw the clip from Rachel, she seems good at what she is doing so I feel we won't be too sad.

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
Not every injury is season ending or lingering.
Some are...

Edit to add: I really don't trust this organization when it comes to injuries.
How long was Luke in a sling before they were forced to mention it? Do you really think they are telling the truth? There's always a chance that they legitimately think it's a 6-8 week recovery, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

Whaddagoal

Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Not every injury is season ending or lingering.

Sure hope this applies to Nemec and Luke!

We all know what happened to Jack and Dougie recently..... (over last 2-3 seasons)
.....and Timo (lingering required surgery in offseason - shoulder - and knees).......
.....and Nate.....(lingering probs due to recovery - shoulder).......
.....and Palat......(took at least a season to recover into some adequate form)

Reactions: BostonDevil

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

I think all we've heard about the situation was from Erika herself, which was that "MSG has decided not to renew my contract...".

Now, I would assume there were contract negotiations going on leading up to that decision so maybe she did price herself out, but the way she phrased it made it sound like MSG had the option to renew her (either at the going rate or with a predetermined salary increase) but just opted against it. Purely speculating, but maybe it was a case that she came into the position at a relatively low salary (given she was so green at the start) and only got modest increases along the way and felt she was worth more on her next contract given her track record. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Would seem in all likelihood that MSG just decided to go with a cheaper route as there's no other reason not to bring back Erika since she was really good in her job and seemingly well liked by the fans and crew. I'm sure Erika will be fine ultimately and hope the new Erika does well.

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
I think all we've heard about the situation was from Erika herself, which was that "MSG has decided not to renew my contract...".

Now, I would assume there were contract negotiations going on leading up to that decision so maybe she did price herself out, but the way she phrased it made it sound like MSG had the option to renew her (either at the going rate or with a predetermined salary increase) but just opted against it. Purely speculating, but maybe it was a case that she came into the position at a relatively low salary (given she was so green at the start) and only got modest increases along the way and felt she was worth more on her next contract given her track record. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Would seem in all likelihood that MSG just decided to go with a cheaper route as there's no other reason not to bring back Erika since she was really good in her job and seemingly well liked by the fans and crew. I'm sure Erika will be fine ultimately and hope the new Erika does well.
Makes sense but does that mean MSG is being cheap with the new girl too and we expect her to be gone in a few years as well? They should up the budget for the "Erika Department". I assume they gotta be saving money on Bill as well. Dano is being paid in Genucel. I live in fear of losing Bryce to a bigger gig too.

Erika was good and will be fine. Not worried about her. Worried about us!

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
The doomerism around the injuries is just f***ing annoying. Acting like the sky is falling over a 6-8 week injury is f***ing annoying. Just f***ing wait until he’s back and has time to adjust to see how he looks before acting like it’s the end of the world.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
How long was Luke in a sling before they were forced to mention it?
The team would've had to mention the injury when Luke wouldn’t have hit the ice in about a week. The picture probably accelerated the process, but they would’ve announced it in a few weeks tops.

Do you really think they are telling the truth?
Yes, I think they’re telling the truth. I see no incentive to lie about an injury timeline.

There's always a chance that they legitimately think it's a 6-8 week recovery, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Timelines are sometimes hard to gauge and they can change, so I have no problem with a wait and see approach. That’s fair.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Makes sense but does that mean MSG is being cheap with the new girl too and we expect her to be gone in a few years as well? They should up the budget for the "Erika Department". I assume they gotta be saving money on Bill as well. Dano is being paid in Genucel. I live in fear of losing Bryce to a bigger gig too.

Erika was good and will be fine. Not worried about her. Worried about us!

I wouldn't be too worried about losing Bryce. Not because he's not talented and would be in demand (he's clearly both), but he's in a completely different situation than Erika.

For starters, he's earned a LOT of money during his playing career so he's already set financially and doesn't need to push it on contract demands or chase a better deal. He also has 2 kids roughly of high school age (I believe, though maybe more on the older side) which would tie him to this area - not to mention he's lived in NJ for the past 16 years so probably isn't eager to uproot him and his family to another location. Not sure how much (if at all) Bryce appears on NHL Network as it's not available on YouTubeTV, but working for a team like the Devils is not only a cushy gig with relatively little travel, but being in this area also opens of opportunities on other networks.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm not that worried about not having Luke for a month or so when I look at the results Keefe got out of Toronto's blueline. Do not rush him back just to get a few more games out of him in October/November.
That’s exactly what worries me the most about this injury tbh, the fear we’ll rush him back and in a best case he sucks for a few weeks, a worst case he’ll reinjure himself

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
That’s exactly what worries me the most about this injury tbh, the fear we’ll rush him back and in a best case he sucks for a few weeks, a worst case he’ll reinjure himself

If he’s good to go he’s good to go. I do not imagine he’s back before “100%” but even at 100% he can still get re-injured. Also by “100%” I mean that playing through it isn’t really going to make things worse. Like Timo and Jack weren’t 100% last year but I also don’t think playing through things made it worse for them. Judging by how bad Jack was since like the start of December he probably needed surgery the whole time. We also saw Timo get “healthy” and play great but still need surgery at the end of the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devs3cups

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
IMG_3183.gif

Reactions: The Grinder

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Sure hope this applies to Nemec and Luke!

We all know what happened to Jack and Dougie recently..... (over last 2-3 seasons)
.....and Timo (lingering required surgery in offseason - shoulder - and knees).......
.....and Nate.....(lingering probs due to recovery - shoulder).......
.....and Palat......(took at least a season to recover into some adequate form)
Add Siegenthaler.... nobody seems to want to acknowledge his injuries this past year and just wants to say he sucks...I reserve the "sucks" for Palat.

Reactions: Cheddabombs

Whaddagoal

Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Add Siegenthaler.... nobody seems to want to acknowledge his injuries this past year and just wants to say he sucks...I reserve the "sucks" for Palat.

I forgot about Sieges foot. Let's see how he does this season.

Palat I get you, I don't agree but yeah he could be just getting old...haha.

Reactions: JimEIV

Whaddagoal

Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love

My guess is something like that. Working in a corporate world - its usally cheaper to bring in new and/or young people. So maybe Erika wanted more money... or maybe this was a plan all long.

Hopefully I'm wrong - and Erika just wanted to move onto something different, and it was her decision.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

highly doubt she priced herself out if she did then she is crazy to pass up on a cake job assignment when considering you have nhl/mlb network right down the road to fill out the rest of your schedule. not many markets can give you that.

Reactions: BostonDevil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad