Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
The good news about a Luke injury is that one of my biggest worries was that if this team makes the playoffs, I wasn't sure if he could handle 25 minutes a game for 100 games - that's no longer a concern.
My concern is, just as with Jack, the shoulder will eventually need surgery and he will be playing injured by season end.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Relieved we have Brendan Dillion to support the left side. Outside of Hughes+Dillion, there’s nothing else.

Insane how quickly people are just ready to completely write off Siegs while thinking the 34 year old 3rd pair guy is great. Siegs 22/23 was a rollercoaster but a lot better overall than people give him credit for. He was a massive mess last year as basically the whole team was. I'm not writing him off before seeing what he can do under Keefe.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I wasnt actually being serious, my sarcasm just sucks

Theyre trying to bring the 76ers to New Jersey; I dont think theyre going anywhere anytime soon

They shouldn't be allowed to leave Wells Fargo, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the arena. The arena they wanted to build in the more city part of Philly keeps getting talked down so now they are threatening this stuff. It's such a joke that sports owners are allowed to threaten relocation over new arenas. It's the worst thing about professional sports in the US and Canada.

These billionaires should also be paying for absolutely everything with the cost of these arenas which in the 76ers situation I believe they are but even if they are privately funding the cost of the new arena there's also no reason that city needs yet another arena that size. It's just absolutely not necessary.

Look at the situation with Oakland, they lost/are losing all 3 teams they had. Warriors are over the bridge in San Francisco which would similar to the 76ers moving to Camden. Half their fan base is in NJ anyway no matter how much half their fan base also yells go back to NJ lol

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
My concern is, just as with Jack, the shoulder will eventually need surgery and he will be playing injured by season end.

Maybe so, but I will say that I don't think it will be possible for a defenseman to play as injured as Jack was playing. Jack was avoiding every hit, defensemen just cannot do that.

Insane how quickly people are just ready to completely write off Siegs while thinking the 34 year old 3rd pair guy is great. Siegs 22/23 was a rollercoaster but a lot better overall than people give him credit for. He was a massive mess last year as basically the whole team was. I'm not writing him off before seeing what he can do under Keefe.

With the Devils D not challenging zone entries a whole lot last season it took away Siegenthaler's best skill.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
They shouldn't be allowed to leave Wells Fargo, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the arena. The arena they wanted to build in the more city part of Philly keeps getting talked down so now they are threatening this stuff. It's such a joke that sports owners are allowed to threaten relocation over new arenas. It's the worst thing about professional sports in the US and Canada. These billionaires should also be paying for absolutely everything with the cost of these arenas.

In the 76ers situation even if they are privately funding the cost of the new arena there's also no reason that city needs yet another arena that size. It's just absolutely pointless.

Look at the situation with Oakland, they lost/are losing all 3 teams they had. Warriors are over the bridge in San Francisco which would similar to the 76ers moving to Camden. Half their fan base is in NJ anyway no matter how much half their fan base also yells go back to NJ lol

I will never forget Josh Harris drunkenly correcting himself when dedicating the Brodeur statue from saying it would be there forever (or whatever he said) to the specific time when the Devils' lease at Prudential Center ends.

The money will dry up when governments stop thinking that people want these things in their town, but they represent prestige for government officials (and maybe even income sources) and so it won't go away.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I will never forget Josh Harris drunkenly correcting himself when dedicating the Brodeur statue from saying it would be there forever (or whatever he said) to the specific time when the Devils' lease at Prudential Center ends.

The money will dry up when governments stop thinking that people want these things in their town, but they represent prestige for government officials (and maybe even income sources) and so it won't go away.
The issue is people do want the teams, it sucks to lose your team. So officials hear the sports fans (and there's hundreds of thousands or millions in their cities) and can talk themselves into it.

But there's absolutely zero reason to give hundreds of millions of dollars of subsidy of any kind to a billionaire owner. Sports teams are privately owned profit generating enterprises in the way the sports system is constructed, and it's high time we started treated them like it. Good on Oakland telling those f***s to pound sand, city has more important things to spend taxpayer funds on.

Now if you want to talk about a public ownership model for sports franchises, something along the lines of the bundesliga model at least, i'm listening.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

If you're thinking of what I'm thinking of during Marty's retirement night, I always thought he crossed up in his brain drunkenly that Marty had a 20 year career and thus mentioned that we can enjoy the Marty statue for another 20 years.

It'd be low key hilarious if he was referring to the length of the lease. :laugh:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The issue is people do want the teams, it sucks to lose your team. So officials hear the sports fans (and there's hundreds of thousands or millions in their cities) and can talk themselves into it.

But there's absolutely zero reason to give hundreds of millions of dollars of subsidy of any kind to a billionaire owner. Sports teams are privately owned profit generating enterprises in the way the sports system is constructed, and it's high time we started treated them like it. Good on Oakland telling those f***s to pound sand, city has more important things to spend taxpayer funds on.

Now if you want to talk about a public ownership model for sports franchises, something along the lines of the bundesliga model at least, i'm listening.

Sorry, I'm generalizing - I'm sure some people in South Jersey would want the 76ers to be there, but I don't think there's some huge groundswell for it, whereas e.g. if the 76ers wanted to move to Vegas, there'd be a ton of support there. I think moving within the locality, especially across a major river, is an unpopular move, and I don't think it's really worked out for the Nets.

But it's just brinksmanship, Philadelphia and Pennsylvania should tell Blitzer and Harris to f*** off.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Not everything needs surgery.
No One:

Devils HF:
IMG_8840.jpeg

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
Few things to sum up what I've read since my fake arm shoplifting post.
1) I'm also of the mind that he probably injured himself doing something stupid. Maybe it's because this injury was outted while he was bro-ing it up at a college football game.

2) The new Erika seems like a good hire. I like the fact she's a hockey player. She talks a lot and made it through without much fumbling in the little I watched.

3) I had no idea Nemec got injured. Jesus, stop playing for your country and wrap yourself in bubble wrap in the off season. That goes for everyone.

4) Was the first the Devils traded protected in any way? Top 10 or something, right?

Reactions: HBK27

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
If you didn't see the interview with Jacob Markstrom on Spittin' Chiclets I would highly recommend it. He tells some really funny stories and talks about how excited he is to be playing for the Devils. I have it queued right to the start of the interview and right after is their outlook for the Devils this year and a really good breakdown. Hint - They all pick them to win the Metro.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
If you didn't see the interview with Jacob Markstrom on Spittin' Chiclets I would highly recommend it. He tells some really funny stories and talks about how excited he is to be playing for the Devils. I have it queued right to the start of the interview and right after is their outlook for the Devils this year and a really good breakdown. Hint - They all pick them to win the Metro.

Yea was a good one, he def seem like one of the least weird goalies out there by the sounds of it. Which is nice.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
If we had the same defensive depth as last year, I’d be way more worried. The Pesce and Dillon adds are huge and will help minimize the loss of Luke for the couple of weeks he’ll be out. Even guys like Kovacevic will help.

I will say the Zboril PTO seems intentional now. The injury probably happened before they signed him to a PTO. If that’s the case we can expect Luke back around mid-october.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
If we had the same defensive depth as last year, I’d be way more worried. The Pesce and Dillon adds are huge and will help minimize the loss of Luke for the couple of weeks he’ll be out. Even guys like Kovacevic will help.

I will say the Zboril PTO seems intentional now. The injury probably happened before they signed him to a PTO. If that’s the case we can expect Luke back around mid-october.

We nearly have as many D that I'd feel comfortable with playing as we do Fs. There's like 11 D. They definitely went overkill on the defensive depth and didn't give a shit about the forward depth.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad