Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
The first week of November is still 16 games. It's not nothing. That's like 20% of the season.

It's certainly not nothing, but this team is built to be one that should somewhat easily lock down a playoff spot, not be competing for a wild card spot.

Shouldn't be that big of a deal losing Luke for a month, but you never know...

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It's certainly not nothing, but this team is built to be one that should somewhat easily lock down a playoff spot, not be competing for a wild card spot.

I think they're gonna play a lot more defensive in the first couple of weeks anyway, that's why our game breakers need to show up early on. We'll play more 3-2 and 2-1 games than the 6-5 and 5-4 games we've seen the past couple of years. Not having Luke in those type of games might help a bit too since he's prone to due to his play style to do something out of the blue (unintended Michigan pun lol).

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Its September. Have the surgery now.

I can just see it now...comes back in November, plays at like 50%, injures it again, needs surgery and is out for the year.

Not all shoulder injuries are created equal though. 1.) we don’t really know what the actual injury is. 2.) if it’s something like a labrum tear, depending on the severity, it’s very viable to play through that.

I’m by no means comparing myself to an NHLer, but I had several shoulder injuries growing up playing hockey. I played through a torn labrum and it did not really affect me too much unless I was hit a certain way and my shoulder would sublux (partially dislocate/pop out). It would hurt like hell but felt fine after it popped back in. This wasn’t an every game occurrence or anything either. My tear was not super severe though. And at the end of the day, I did get surgery, but I waited until after the season.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
These soyboy Devils need to drink some milk. Smh.
IMG_2787.jpeg

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017

The left side is beyond thin now.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
It really sucks but mulling things over we should be OK, move up Dillon up and throw in Hatakka and or Kovacevic. A little help from Keefe's system should go a long way. Dougie and Seigs are back, we have f***ing Pesce and Dillon, they are going to be a massive difference as well. If this team can't handle one injury with those adds this early in the season they don't deserve to do anything and I will shit on them constantly.

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Not all shoulder injuries are created equal though. 1.) we don’t really know what the actual injury is. 2.) if it’s something like a labrum tear, depending on the severity, it’s very viable to play through that.

I’m by no means comparing myself to an NHLer, but I had several shoulder injuries growing up playing hockey. I played through a torn labrum and it did not really affect me too much unless I was hit a certain way and my shoulder would sublux (partially dislocate/pop out). It would hurt like hell but felt fine after it popped back in. This wasn’t an every game occurrence or anything either. My tear was not super severe though. And at the end of the day, I did get surgery, but I waited until after the season.

Yeah we've literally seen Jack at 2 different ends of shoulder injuries. The one from this year was clearly an issue all year long that made him play considerably worse, he got hurt twice, and he needed to end up getting surgery. The 21/22 one on the other hand was something he was perfectly fine from. It really just took him a few weeks to get back up to speed and then he was dominating. These were also 2 different shoulders so it's not like the injury from years ago finally caught up with him. He hasn't had an issue with that shoulder since.

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It really sucks but mulling things over we should be OK, move up Dillon up and throw in Hatakka and or Kovacevic. A little help from Keefe's system should go a long way. Dougie and Seigs are back, we have f***ing Pesce and Dillon, they are going to be a massive difference as well. If this team can't handle one injury with those adds this early in the season they don't deserve to do anything and I will shit on them constantly.

I don't think Nemec or Luke miss much time at all (if any for Nemec) but if they're both out then the puck moving on the backend is f***ing brutal. Siegs and Dillon are poor puck movers. Dougie's decent. I think Pesce could potentially be better than he was in Carolina at moving pucks with possession as he was forced into flipping pucks out to center there but still a far cry from Marino's puck moving. Also definitely not Kovacevic's strong suit. If both Luke and Nemec are out I'd like to see Casey draw into the lineup over Kovacevic.

They tried to completely flip the identity of the team this offseason and they're definitely going to have to lean into that and hope it works to start.

Reactions: Devs3cups and JK3

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I don't think Nemec or Luke miss much time at all (if any for Nemec) but if they're both out then the puck moving on the backend is f***ing brutal. Siegs and Dillon are poor puck movers. Dougie's decent. I think Pesce could potentially be better than he was in Carolina at moving pucks with possession as he was forced into flipping pucks out to center there but still a far cry from Marino's puck moving. Also definitely not Kovacevic's strong suit. If both Luke and Nemec are out I'd like to see Casey draw into the lineup over Kovacevic.

They tried to completely flip the identity of the team this offseason and they're definitely going to have to lean into that and hope it works to start.
Can Hatakka move the puck, I forget lol.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
You’re not getting bigger or stronger — something everyone wants all of our players to do — without pushing yourself in the gym. Gains aren’t happening unless there’s enough mechanical tension to grow. You run the risk of tweaking a shoulder if you’re going to hit the weights hard, even if you do everything right.
You aren’t going to get any stronger the two weeks leading up to training camp. You get ur final numbers the week before and then do an active recovery week to get ready for the season. Trying to set pr’s two weeks before camp is non sense. Not saying that’s what happened but it’s either he was going way to hard in the gym or taking unnecessary contact on a free skate

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
You aren’t going to get any stronger the two weeks leading up to training camp. You get ur final numbers the week before and then do an active recovery week to get ready for the season. Trying to set pr’s two weeks before camp is non sense. Not saying that’s what happened but it’s either he was going way to hard in the gym or taking unnecessary contact on a free skate
This being a shoulder injury that doesn’t require surgery might mean that it’s some type of overuse injury that was a long time coming. I doubt he tore something stupidly maxing out, but you never know.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
This being a shoulder injury that doesn’t require surgery might mean that it’s some type of overuse injury that was a long time coming. I doubt he tore something stupidly maxing out, but you never know.
My honest guess is probably an unnecessary hit in an open skate or an awkward fall. Usually slings like that are used for separation/dislocafion which are usually impact injuries. If it was a tear that’s almost always surgery from an overuse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad