Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This team has had more than their fair of shoulder injuries. Not specifically during training.

Luke
Jack x2
Timo
Nemec

Most shoulder injuries are attributed to lack of stability and mobility within the shoulder. The lack of focus on these issues likely leads to more shoulder issues in the future
This is me reading way too much into this...but my hypothesis is that a lot of sport-specific strength and conditioning programs, even at the professional level, are complete BS.

Lot of young guys with shoulder injuries. I think with young guys, there is way too much emphasis on "bulking up". You don't need huge upper body mass in hockey. You don't need bodybuilder boulder shoulders. If anything, gaining that mass too quickly is bad - worsens mobility and the strength/muscle grows faster than the ligaments and tendons, leading to injuries.

These guys should be focusing more on mobility and building functional capacity in awkward or end-range positions, rather than just "bulking up".

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'm a little shocked how long it's taken me to get my shoulder to just adequate. And by adequate I mean pain free.

I'm old so it doesn't compare, but man, I've been at this for 4 months with bursitis, impingement and some bicep tendon and rotator cuff issues. The last month and a half doing therapy 4 times a week....and I'm not nearly 100% maybe 80?
Are you still able to participate in archery? It sounded like you were doing ok when posted that picture of your target.

Reactions: JimEIV

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I have no worries about the success of the team with Luke out, especially with who will be added to start the season that we didn't have last year. But damn, was excited to see both Hughes boys come out of the gate firing. Plus coming back from injury after missing camp is never great. So I don't expect him to get to Dougieless mid season form from last year until later in the season.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I'm enjoying watching the date to when people think Luke will both be back and be playing good hockey slowly creep deeper and deeper into the season.

I'm hoping someone has a take that he won't be 100% until March by EOD

The good news is they overshot the date with Jack on multiple occasions. I think they did for Timo too. Definitely by design to under-promise and over-deliver.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Kind of just stupidity tbh

You are a 1/2 weeks from training camp no need to ramp up the weights or taking contact to cause such a significant injury

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Are you still able to participate in archery? It sounded like you were doing ok when posted that picture of your target.
Yes. I'm able to shoot now but I stop as soon as I feel any discomfort at all. Even a little twinge and I'm done.

I got up to 35 arrows pain free. And I have been hovering 20/30 before I notice anything. Usually feel a slight burn and fatigue around 20 or so shots. It's been this way since the last week of August. Sort of hit a little plateau in the progress but I do feel like things are getting better.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I'm enjoying watching the date to when people think Luke will both be back and be playing good hockey slowly creep deeper and deeper into the season.

I'm hoping someone has a take that he won't be 100% until March by EOD
Since I'm the only one that said anything about how well he will be playing and when, I'd imagine you meant me. But when I said later in the season I meant later than when he joins the team. Not later meaning trade deadline. Just not right away.

I reread it back a couple minutes after posting and thought "ahh this reads like something people will freak out for me saying that I'm not saying" didn't have a chance to edit before being right.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yes. I'm able to shoot now but I stop as soon as I feel any discomfort at all. Even a little twinge and I'm done.

I got up to 35 arrows pain free. And I have been hovering 20/30 before I notice anything. Usually feel a slight burn and fatigue around 20 or so shots. It's been this way since the last week of August. Sort of hit a little plateau in the progress but I do feel like things are getting better.
Are you still under the care of a PT?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad