Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎PART XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHL Fanatik*

one way vs. two way has nothing to do with anything aside from how much money you make in the minors. doesn't have any bearing on waivers.

Wait what??

My comprehension of one vs two way contracts was the pay difference, but also that a one-way must clear waivers while a two-way doesn't.

youre telling me that isnt right???

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
IMHO not much...let me rephrase that...

Not enough to risk trading a potential top pairing dman that can put up points.

But...it is a risk worth considering. Gelinas is going to take time, personally I think a lot of time. In the meantime we have plenty of offense on the blueline with Greene, Larsson, Merrill and soon Severson...they are all better than Gelinas defensively right now in my opinion...if the right deal came along you have to it. But 4 years down the line it probably won't look good.

But what's the right deal? Ryder and Gelinas for Marchand? Because IMO that's a pretty good return.

NHL Fanatik*

But what's the right deal? Ryder and Gelinas for Marchand? Because IMO that's a pretty good return.

If we got Marchand for that Id say we are contenders.

Add a FA dman to replace Sal and we are set.

... But I doubt that deal gets Marchand. I would be beyond ecstatic.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Wait what??

My comprehension of one vs two way contracts was the pay difference, but also that a one-way must clear waivers while a two-way doesn't.

youre telling me that isnt right???

Comon misconception mainly because on NHL video games, but One way and Two way has nothing to do with waivers

NHL Fanatik*

I like Marchand and he would add elements to this team that we currently don't have, but adding a 50 point forward would not make us a contender.

Marchand would compliment this team's setup very well, and if/when we made the playoff he would be another clutch guy to have. If you look at him as just a 50pt guy, than sure he won't make us a contender. But when you look at his whole package, Id say he does, IF you add a FA dman and remove Sal.

Which leads me to ask; why can't this team be close to contending?

Unless Schneider busts, we have the goaltending.

Unless each of the kids busts, we have the defense.

And as long as the offense can do some scoring, I dont see how we can't win a lot if 1-2 goal leads.

I understand that is a lot of if's, but they aren't stretches. They are what I look at as clean-cut surgeries, and barring any complications everything should be fine.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
This team is a number one player away from being a real contender IMO. Wheeler or Marchand, I dont think either push this team over the edge. Also Im apparently not as high on Wheeler or Marchand as many of you are...

Last edited:

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
This team is a number one player away from being a real contender IMO. Wheeler or Marchand, I dont think either push this team over the edge. Also Im aparently not as high on Wheeler or Marchand as many of you are...

Wheeler is a stud, Would love him on this team. Guy that can score 30 but he has play making skills that can grab about 35-40 helpers a year

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Please lets not trade away Gelinas for anyone like Wheeler or Marchand.

Everyone's grass is always greener. I think before we signed Ryder, everyone would have said "Let's trade away Gelinas for Ryder! We could get a perennial goal scorer for an unproven Dman!!!"

Now, it's Ryder+Gelinas for Wheeler or Marchand, lol.

Keep the kid and see how he develops. He might be the next Kurtis Foster, or he might be the next Pronger. Who knows.

He's got as good a slapper as I've seen on the Devils since Souray. In fact, it looks better than Souray's.

*WHY* do you trade that away for a glorified 3rd liner 50 point guy who will eventually fall to injury because of his size and perennial enigmas?

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Marchand would compliment this team's setup very well, and if/when we made the playoff he would be another clutch guy to have. If you look at him as just a 50pt guy, than sure he won't make us a contender. But when you look at his whole package, Id say he does, IF you add a FA dman and remove Sal.

Which leads me to ask; why can't this team be close to contending?

Unless Schneider busts, we have the goaltending.

Unless each of the kids busts, we have the defense.

And as long as the offense can do some scoring, I dont see how we can't win a lot if 1-2 goal leads.

I understand that is a lot of if's, but they aren't stretches. They are what I look at as clean-cut surgeries, and barring any complications everything should be fine.

Lots of things have to happen for us to be a legitimate contender IMO.

1. The youth on defense have to take a significant step forward. Merrill was playing 20 minutes a night but can he do that over 82 games? Larsson has to adjust to a role where he'll most likely be paired with Greene playing against other team's top lines and Gelinas has to prove he can take a regular shift. 3 legitimate questions.

2. The forwards need to stay relatively healthy. Not likely when you consider their two best forwards are 39 and 43 plus the track record of Cammalleri, Havlat and Clowe.

3. At least a few of these old guys are going to have to capture their old magic. Havlat and Clowe would have to put up 40-50 points or Matteau and Boucher have to step in and contribute right away.

Maybe one or two of things I can see happening but not all three. I feel like they are a better team than last year though and hopefully they can sneak into a playoff spot.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
our leading scorer is probablly done after this year (Jagr) we need a goal scorer or hope to god boucher/mattea both pan out

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
our leading scorer is probablly done after this year (Jagr) we need a goal scorer or hope to god boucher/mattea both pan out

yeah we do need forwards for 2015/16, like you said Jagr might be done after this coming season, then there's Havlat, Ryder, Brunner, all free to go (and we might want them gone) Elias will be another year older, who knows about Clowe by then, and Ruutu and Zubie

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
This team is a number one player away from being a real contender IMO. Wheeler or Marchand, I dont think either push this team over the edge. Also Im apparently not as high on Wheeler or Marchand as many of you are...

Blake Wheeler is like a 0.9 point per game player in the past 2 years. He is turning into a super star, is huge, and can skate like the wind.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Everyone's grass is always greener. I think before we signed Ryder, everyone would have said "Let's trade away Gelinas for Ryder! We could get a perennial goal scorer for an unproven Dman!!!"

Keep the kid and see how he develops. He might be the next Kurtis Foster, or he might be the next Pronger. Who knows.

He's got as good a slapper as I've seen on the Devils since Souray. In fact, it looks better than Souray's.

*WHY* do you trade that away for a glorified 3rd liner 50 point guy who will eventually fall to injury because of his size and perennial enigmas?

so you wouldn't trade Gelinas and Ryder for Blake Wheeler? are you kidding me?

bring that to the Jets board and see what they have to say about it.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
yeah we do need forwards for 2015/16, like you said Jagr might be done after this coming season, then there's Havlat, Ryder, Brunner, all free to go (and we might want them gone) Elias will be another year older, who knows about Clowe by then, and Ruutu and Zubie

Right but I think the best course of action is to wait and see what each of our young D can bring to the table this season, then go out and likely trade one of them for a forward when the need to fill the gap is most urgent.. "When time is on your side, you use it"

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Right but I think the best course of action is to wait and see what each of our young D can bring to the table this season, then go out and likely trade one of them for a forward when the need to fill the gap is most urgent.. "When time is on your side, you use it"

or Jagr retires after this year, Gelinas has a bad season/Pete yoyo's him around again and we are stuck with crap this time next year.

we have a glutton of DMen and a dearth of high end forwards. you trade from your strengths to help your weaknesses. we cannot keep all these DMen.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.

Seeing Lou lock up some players this summer (ahead of time) might suggest he'll make some moves a little earlier than he has in the past, if he can get a player he's been after for a while

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Your saying Wheeler is a glorified 3rd line player? I'm not sure that you are given he plays every game of every season he's played in the league.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I will say this, if the plan was to trade Gelinas or one of the other young d-men, we should have re-upped with Fayne.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Why do people keep comparing Gelinas to Pronger? I've seen people bring this up a few times. They're both tall and have good shots, that's about it.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
I will say this, if the plan was to trade Gelinas or one of the other young d-men, we should have re-upped with Fayne.

it would have been nice to have Greene / Fayne as a steady D pairing for the next four or five years, but I think Lou feels strongly about our prospects coming up the next few years, and if he needs to get a D man this season he can get a Johnny Oduya type without too much problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad