Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Tomas Tatar (1 year, $1.8 million)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
It's one thing I know in message boards, it's to always listen to the one random person demanding everyone think like them regardless of everything else presented.

"we really should stop doing this" = demanding. Hmmm!

if my posts bother you so much, just put me on ignore. thanks in advance pookie

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
How were they going to fit Mercer's deal under the cap with Tarasenko at $4.5M?
Cutting Bastian & having MacDermid start the season in the AHL would've given them enough money for Tarasenko at 4.5 and Mercer at 4.5 with a little bit of wiggle-room for their extra skater.

EDIT: People need to stop blankly looking at capfriendly's "Cap Space" thing and assuming it's gospel. Capfriendly currently has the Devils carrying 13 forwards and 9 defenseman. Some of that space frees up just by having a normal roster size.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I like this. Come at me.

No you dummy, you're supposed to shit all over it as per HFBoards intelligentsia

punch-beating.gif

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I understand the thinking here because him and Nico were a success, but not sure why our focus for adding forwards were wingers instead of a center. I feel like there team has no flexibility down the middle and the team really fell apart last year after McLeod was arrested. I’m not sure why a depth center wasn’t a priority to give us more flexibility.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I alternately understand it and hate it at the same time. I understand shopping at the bargain bin and trying to be Lou Jr. bringing back known quantities and I don't really care about the playoff thing cause a serious franchise needs to upgrade by the deadline anyway.

But lemme get this straight, we didn't sign him last year after a productive season because he wanted two years and we only wanted to give him one, he goes off and looks washed with two different teams, seemingly justifying our hard line then we give him a very expensive (moreso than his one-year contract last year) year #2 anyway after he has a washed season?!

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Look, either he's good again in the regular season, and we find a winger upgrade at the deadline, or he's bad again and then we find a winger upgrade in november.

It's a risk free move. If you have your panties in a twist about his playoff performance, or about how he plays the game, or whatever, lol

Last edited:

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
just feels like a step backwards tbh. i would've preferred keeping holtz over signing tatar.

I would too, but it seems clear that Holtz ran out of rope with Fitz. It was never in the cards for him to have that spot.

From Fitz's previous comments and the fact that Holtz ultimately got traded for scraps, he has concluded that the kid is not an NHL player, and that it was time to admit it and cut bait.

Reactions: Brick City

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
nico continuously dragging dead-weights to competency should not be an endorsement to re-sign dead-weights.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Look, either he's good again in the regular season, and we find a winger upgrade at the deadline, or he's bad again and then we find a winger upgrade in november.

It's a risk free move.
Giving him freaking $1,8 million makes the November option infinitely harder

This is fun.

If they could've why didn't they?
Because Fitz was desperate and didn't want to wait till August or September for Tatar or similar options on a PTO that haven't played here. Might as well have brought back ****ing Boqvist while we were at trying to recapture 2022-23, at least he was only minimum salary.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I understand the thinking here because him and Nico were a success, but not sure why our focus for adding forwards were wingers instead of a center. I feel like there team has no flexibility down the middle and the team really fell apart last year after McLeod was arrested. I’m not sure why a depth center wasn’t a priority to give us more flexibility.

I agree, I just don't know who was there that made sense outside of Rico.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I alternately understand it and hate it at the same time. I understand shopping at the bargain bin and trying to be Lou Jr. bringing back known quantities and I don't really care about the playoff thing cause a serious franchise needs to upgrade by the deadline anyway.

But lemme get this straight, we didn't sign him last year after a productive season because he wanted two years and we only wanted to give him one, he goes off and looks washed with two different teams, seemingly justifying our hard line then we give him a very expensive (moreso than his one-year contract last year) year #2 anyway after he has a washed season?!

Didn't looked "washed" at all with the Kraken - and was +41 with the Devils two years ago.

Someone said yesterday I never give the Devils credit. Getting Tatar back at $1.8 million is a steal.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
People always seem to have intense feelings about this guy.

It’s fine. I never expected that last top 6 F to be resolved this year given how the cap is shaking out.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I would too, but it seems clear that Holtz ran out of rope with Fitz. It was never in the cards for him to have that spot.

From Fitz's previous comments and the fact that Holtz ultimately got traded for scraps, he has concluded that the kid is not an NHL player, and that it was time to admit it and cut bait.
yeah i mostly agree with that, but that's a lot of mismanagement by fitz to gloss over. he shouldn't have drafted him in the first place, and the way he shit on him publicly was just a terrible look. having said that, holtz was a top 10 draft pick who definitely showed promise. why fitz would sell him when his value couldn't be any lower for paul cotter of all people, then overpay his replacement by signing tatar, is just mind boggling to me. especially considering that holtz could very well have flourished under keefe, we'll never know.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Didn't looked "washed" at all with the Kraken - and was +41 with the Devils two years ago.

Someone said yesterday I never give the Devils credit. Getting Tatar back at $1.8 million is a steal.
holy shit Fitz has done it

he made a move you like, un f***ing believable

I'm gonna change my opinion on this signing, unfortunately. It must be f***ing bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad