Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Tomas Tatar (1 year, $1.8 million)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
If the Devils make this signing on August 18th after everyone else is scooped up and they swung and missed, fine.

But as it stands right now, there are 1.8 reasons to be upset about this. That's not an insignificant amount of money, and it certainly signals to me that the Devils are done adding forwards. Plenty of reasons to be upset about that.
It really is an insignificant amount of money.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Yes, you arrived at the reason to be upset about this.

They could move on from Bastian and free up $1.3 million. Then this is effectively a $500k transaction.

As it stands, we still have $4.9 million in space. If Tatar doesn't play well, we can ditch that contract fairly easily also.

None of this is catastrophic.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I’m just worried the $1.8 will tie their hands with better top 6 options now or at the tdl.
I think if they were a getting a better top 6 option in the offseason it would have happened and that Tatar was probably plan B or C.

Still the Devils have 5 million in cap space now and if Mercer's contract is a bridge even with some injuries it should allow them to accrue cap space come trade deadline. And if Tatar falters hopefully Gritsyuk can step in. There can also be cap gymnastics done with Macdermid/Bastian as well.

But similarly it's kind of why I was weary of the Dillon contract, good player and an upgrade on Bahl but paying such a premium for someone who is most likely on the third pair for the team removed flexibility from the forward group due to $$

Last edited:

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
In fact the complete opposite

Tarasenko wasn’t coming here for less than 4 and there’s nothing else in the market 1.8 mil for a forward who can provide top 9 minutes seems like an easy decision to me
They could've easily accommodated Tarasenko at 4.5 before they gave 2 to Tatar. They can no longer do this.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Still skeptical Bastian starts the season on the NHL team with us. With all the new acquisitions here, as well as Lazar, who they already seemed to prefer over him before he missed almost half the season injured (for the second year in a row), I'm skeptical he's going to be a regular this year.

Some his money will count against the cap if he's in the minors, but not much. I think almost everyone but the people who run the team want MacDermid to be the one gone or buried, but it ain't happening this soon.

Unfortunately.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
They could move on from Bastian and free up $1.3 million. Then this is effectively a $500k transaction.

As it stands, we still have $4.9 million in space. If Tatar doesn't play well, we can ditch that contract fairly easily also.

None of this is catastrophic.
Who is saying it's catastrophic? I'm upset, not throwing things or cursing Fitz.

I was hoping they'd ditch Bastian's 1.3 anyway. It's effectively a 1,900,000 transaction, and I would've preferred seeing that 1,900,000 as a part of a contract to someone who can play top-6 minutes.

Tomas Tatar cannot do that.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
This is not the former Devil they were supposed to bring back to play in the bottom 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: glenwo2

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
thats great and all, but I like to go by the ice time, and the ice time bears this out

I k now you have to be the "well actually" guy all the time though, so nice work on that front
I wouldn't call that a well actually. You told everyone how they need to see the team while the guy building is saying the opposite.

Either way, I'd much rather be the "well actually" guy than confidently wrong while demanding others be wrong too.

Reactions: HBK27

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
I'd rather have the guy with proven chemistry with a couple of our key forwards plus the Nemec connection.
If you'd rather have the guy who just scored 24 points & has been healthy scratched in 3 consecutive playoff runs by 3 different hockey teams than a 2-time Stanley Cup champion who was over a point-per-game two years ago and was lauded by Florida management for his ability to play up-and-down a lineup en route to a banner, you're out of your f***ing mind lmao.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I wouldn't call that a well actually. You told everyone how they need to see the team while the guy building is saying the opposite.

Either way, I'd much rather be the "well actually" guy than confidently wrong while demanding others be wrong too.

if its one thing I know about sports, its to always take everything GMs and coaches say at face value

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad