GDT: Devils Sabres in Prague Game 1, 1 p.m. EDT, 7 p.m CEST

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
The one thing that I don’t get about the Mittlestadt trade was the timing. The Sabres were going nowhere last season. Why not just wait until the off-season when you have a better market? I truly believe there would have been a bit of a bidding war for Casey in July. Say what you will but Colorado clearly received the better player.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
I've not been home in four hours, surprised someone didn't do it. I have also thought maybe it's time to change it up. The first 13 years or so of doing them, they were a good team ('98-2011), the last 13 have been pain.
It's getting to the point where they should just be BU. Having games where we throttle our opponents are great, but mean absolutely nothing if we can't make the playoffs.

Kevyn Adams is in over his head. He can talk a great game, but cannot assemble a competitive team.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Team wasn't ready to play. Again. Under a new coach with ample NHL experience. Uh, maybe it's the players.

They were half a step slower than the Devils all game, and were often out of position.

One decent period doesn't cut it.

The pressure is on already, to avoid a 0-2 start.

Out: 6K (who was fine), NAK (injured?), Zucker
In: Levi, Kulich, Krebs

I'm a bigger fan of Joki than most, but get him off the top pair.

Reactions: Ehran

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Team wasn't ready to play. Again. Under a new coach with ample NHL experience. Uh, maybe it's the players.

They were half a step slower than the Devils all game, and were often out of position.

Why are we taking Zucker out? Admittedly I didn't watch as i had to work but the numbers make it look like he was one of our better forwards. Do the numbers not match the eye test?

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL

Zucker might have been their best player.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Is that real? Because it felt like everytime I thought to myself "we need to win this draw" they would lose it and be sent down the ice (All of these were in the ozone and usually on the power play)

No, that’s real. They had more takeaways than Jersey, a fewer turnovers, fairly close in hits. They didn’t have a competent first line. I would also add Quinn and JJ to my where the f*** were they today.

Last edited:
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I've not been home in four hours, surprised someone didn't do it. I have also thought maybe it's time to change it up. The first 13 years or so of doing them, they were a good team ('98-2011), the last 13 have been pain.
I'm up for it when there's a win streak.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The one thing that I don’t get about the Mittlestadt trade was the timing. The Sabres were going nowhere last season. Why not just wait until the off-season when you have a better market? I truly believe there would have been a bit of a bidding war for Casey in July. Say what you will but Colorado clearly received the better player.
I’d say they got equal talented players. Both players have their pros and cons to their game that make them enticing to add. What’s done is done, no point in rehashing the motivations of the move and getting mad all over again, hahaha.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
No, that’s real. They had more takeaways than Jersey, a few turnovers, fairly close and hits. They didn’t have wa competent first line. I would also add Quinn and JJ to my where the f*** were they today.
I thought they looked absolutely horrid: constantly botching plays, terrible execution, endlessly bobbling/mishandling pucks, constant mental mistakes and didn't look ready at all. And really NJ didn't even get out of first gear and it was over before the halfway mark.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
No, that’s real. They had more takeaways than Jersey, a few turnovers, fairly close and hits. They didn’t have wa competent first line. I would also add Quinn and JJ to my where the f*** were they today.
I noticed JJ a few times, he also got the assist but after hyping up Quinn all off season that dude played like when he was on the IR (non existent)

I'm fully let down by Quinn's performance.

He skates 18 mins and never register one shot, one hit or one block. I remember one back check that's it.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Thompson and Tuch were our worst forwards IMO, which isn’t ideal when they make up 2/3 of the top line. Maybe it’s overreacting, but if I were Lindy I would bench one or both and give Kulich or Krebs a look.

Are going to make guys earn their ice time, or are they still singing Kumbaya around the campfire?

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Why are we taking Zucker out? Admittedly I didn't watch as i had to work but the numbers make it look like he was one of our better forwards. Do the numbers not match the eye test?

Zucker might have been their best player.

Best forward, imo. Have to agree Byram was probably their best overall.
Zucker was okay. He might have handled that ill-advised Samuelsson pass that led to NJD's first goal a bit better. He didn't stand out to me. If his fancy stats suggest otherwise, fine.

I assume the Sabres will try to spark the team tomorrow, after today's thoroughly lackluster performance. Krebs had a good enough pre-season that I'd put him in the lineup. I'll be surprised if Kulich doesn't get a game in front of his home crowd (although I'm not a fan of that kind of sentimental move).

The suggested changes can be disputed. Fair enough. But they're not outlandish. If they do occur, who sits?

They probably won't make a rash top-6 change so early. If NAK is injured, dropping Greenway to the 4th line makes the most sense. That leaves McLeod and Zucker. Doesn't keeping the center, PKer, and supposedly better defensive player in the lineup seem more likely?

Krebs-McLeod-Kulich. Watch out, Devils. Matchup nightmare!

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
First line was awful. Second line wasn't much better except Benson was okay. That was the biggest thing for me at least until I stopped watching

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I think we just invented loser 3 stars! :D

1)Byrum
2)Zucker
3) Was there one ?
Cozens had a good game IMO. Had a few scoring chances, problem is he was impatient and shot a little too early on both.

I think Ruff was right, the boys were nervous. This won't last. If they don't come out tomorrow playing like it was the last game to make the playoffs, then maybe we have issues. They can't let Jersey take all 4 points.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
20241004_213618.jpg

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
It is one game, at the beginning of the season, on a different continent. No need to worry yet.

With all that said, the new players looked very good and the old players looked to fall right back into old habits.

I wouldn't mind seeing Kulich get a quick look on the top line and then having JJ Cozens and Quinn on the second line. Maybe swap Rousek for Greenway if.you wanna get him a look in front of the home crowd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad