GDT: Devils Sabres in Prague Game 1, 1 p.m. EDT, 7 p.m CEST

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
For whatever reason, I really want to overreact to this game and not follow the team anymore. Perhaps the last 13 years have finally caught up with me.
I'm willing to give the new coaching staff more than a training camp to iron out the issues in this group... but they put all their eggs in the basket of this core, and I'm getting less optimistic about how high their ceiling really is.

Reactions: WiHockeyGuy

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Yet another example of xGF being a stupid stat

View attachment 912460
Score effects my guy. The Devils took their foot off the gas once it was 3-0 with more than half the game left.

I do think there's something wrong with the moneypuck model or the shot location tracking though. The Noesen goal wasn't worth much xGF and it was 1 on 1 with the goalie from the edge of the inner face off dot.

NST had it overall 3.61 xGF Sabres to 3.47 xGF Devils.

Tuch had a 28.27% on ice 5v5 xGF%... matches the eye test as he was terrible

Reactions: Hisch13r

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Similar and yet they're better at just about every position in the forward lines. That's the issue, our forwards are not good enough.
I'm not certain of that.. Thompson line certainly didn't look ready to play at nhl speed today. Dahlin looked lost etc.

Skating in molasses and indecisive etc. we'll see in the morning. They weren't today as i feel abused watching that shite.

But. Would i trade benson straight up , for timo meier. I don't think so. But who knows after 60 min of team that hasn't played an nhl squad , just ahl types. , since April.

A good punch in the face for both buffalo teams. We'll find out quickly what they're made of.

Reactions: Daz28

oldwpgjet

Apr 11, 2021
A couple quick questions for Sabre fans. Do you know who your starter is for saturday game? ( Hoping Levi gets a go). Is Jiri Kulich still with the team or did he get sent down? Levi and Kulich to the rescue would make my day.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Byram yes, but Tage and Cozens no. I have nothing against Byram, but we could really use a center like Mitts, and we've also been needing a top 4 RD for a long time who's just good at defense and can play 20 minutes a game.
No one mentioned Tage whisperer now being gone. Lets hope it doesn't bring him back down to a 40 pt guy.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
I've become allergic to Sabres hockey. They broke me last season.
I think this explains all of the posts on both boards. Understandable from a dissociation ptsd point of view .

They suck. Wauggh . I can't believe that considering what I've watched two years ago.

It's possible. Kevyn etc.

I don't think ruff would tie himself to a millstone.

I think jokiharu blows. I'm not sold on one or two but. This looked like rust and lack of timing etc.the trying to do it alone to desperately flinging passes and preseason incompetence

I think I'm done as I have empathy understanding for the tease of more trauma and never watching competent hockey again etc. w certainty etc. is it tougher to watch or read the woe. Of impending death w such high probability if I believe what I've read from 97.34% of all points of view ( it makes me an idiot reading any of this at all as I should have expected a first game white flag, uncle! )

If they blow tomorrow. Local refunds will be demanded and firings. Hopefully they throw that fat reporter out w anyone driven out w pitchforks.

Last edited:
Reactions: HaNotsri

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
A couple quick questions for Sabre fans. Do you know who your starter is for saturday game? ( Hoping Levi gets a go). Is Jiri Kulich still with the team or did he get sent down? Levi and Kulich to the rescue would make my day.
Kulich is with the team in Europe as an extra forward

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Ugh. Third period wasn't so bad on the whole but NJ didn't really have to try.

Kudos to the drummer behind the goal & those group of guys for chanting all game. I wish I'd have been in that sector with them. I haven't seen a GBU yet but he's got to be a rare good. Not sure how it came out on TV but you heard them all game long.

Lindy won't let them come out so flat again on a back to back....

Will he?

Reactions: Chainshot

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm willing to give the new coaching staff more than a training camp to iron out the issues in this group... but they put all their eggs in the basket of this core, and I'm getting less optimistic about how high their ceiling really is.

Well the new coaching staff is same as last year and year before minus head coach... Why they decided to promote Appert and keep the loser assistants is beyond me. It's the same voices for the most part and we get the same stupid problems

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Well the new coaching staff is same as last year and year before minus head coach... Why they decided to promote Appert and keep the loser assistants is beyond me. It's the same voices for the most part and we get the same stupid problems
I’ll rephrase…

I’m willing to give Ruff more than a training camp to influence the remaining staff and players and iron out the issues in this group.

Reactions: Beerz

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Score effects my guy. The Devils took their foot off the gas once it was 3-0 with more than half the game left.

I do think there's something wrong with the moneypuck model or the shot location tracking though. The Noesen goal wasn't worth much xGF and it was 1 on 1 with the goalie from the edge of the inner face off dot.

NST had it overall 3.61 xGF Sabres to 3.47 xGF Devils.

Tuch had a 28.27% on ice 5v5 xGF%... matches the eye test as he was terrible
Score effects are obviously a thing but adjusted for score the Sabres still come out better

Idk man the defense looked pretty dogshit to me and Byram was one of the few decent looking players.
We have Jokiharju playing on the first pair, not gonna get me concerned about Tage and Cozens lmao

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We're so apathetic no one even made a GBU

I've not been home in four hours, surprised someone didn't do it. I have also thought maybe it's time to change it up. The first 13 years or so of doing them, they were a good team ('98-2011), the last 13 have been pain.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Felt like Tuch and Tage were both complete and stanking ass.

Didn't mind most of the other lines, tough to think NAK is already hurt.

I would pile on Jokiharju but that's like saying snow is cold. Dahlin created a couple of good looks for others but him covering for Henri is just so old at this point.

As the defensive coverage broke down, 6K also started to lose form and get out of control.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Felt like Tuch and Tage were both complete and stanking ass.

Didn't mind most of the other lines, tough to think NAK is already hurt.

I would pile on Jokiharju but that's like saying snow is cold. Dahlin created a couple of good looks for others but him covering for Henri is just so old at this point.

As the defensive coverage broke down, 6K also started to lose form and get out of control.
Not being able to be carried by Dahlin is like a wrestler who can't be carried to a good match by Bryan Danielson: you probably don't belong in the NHL.

SharkInABoloTie

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2016
The Heart of Darkness
We win the all important face-off battle 34-25.

Mission accomplished?

Also weren’t outhit.

So you know…the two most important metrics way improved!
Is that real? Because it felt like everytime I thought to myself "we need to win this draw" they would lose it and be sent down the ice (All of these were in the ozone and usually on the power play)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad