GDT: Devils @ Hurricanes - 7:00 PM - MSG

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Yeah, very true. At this point, advanced stats aren't really giving any meaningful information vs the eye test.

But just from the eye test, Nemec has been extremely poor defensively except for maybe 1.5 games. His timing on jumping up into the play has been brutal, and has forced Casey to sit back a bunch while defending on his own.

I'd love to see how Casey looks with a more steady defensive partner. Keefe has been very impressed with Casey's defensive play.
Casey has not been nearly as impressive as you seem to think.

Your bias towards Casey is showing pretty heavily.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Yeah, very true. At this point, advanced stats aren't really giving any meaningful information vs the eye test.

But just from the eye test, Nemec has been extremely poor defensively except for maybe 1.5 games. His timing on jumping up into the play has been brutal, and has forced Casey to sit back a bunch while defending on his own.

I'd love to see how Casey looks with a more steady defensive partner. Keefe has been very impressed with Casey's defensive play.
Casey will get a new partner when he arrives in Utica to work on his defensive game

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Casey has not been nearly as impressive as you seem to think.

Your bias towards Casey is showing pretty heavily.
Agree to disagree. I think he's been getting a lot of unearned criticism for his defensive play because he's small. His defensive play has been very good aside from 1 period.
Casey will get a new partner when he arrives in Utica to work on his defensive game
He might, but if he gets sent down, it'd be due to a number game, not because of his deficiencies.
The TOI and deployment say otherwise.
"As much as the goals are great, if his game defensively is a mess and it is a fire drill when he is on the ice, he is not going to be able to stay here," Keefe said after Monday's game. "But his defensive game, he is playing with intelligence. For an undersized defenseman, he plays his body so well. He doesn't complicate things for himself or his teammates."

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Casey has looked far better than Nemec, don’t really need stats in such a small sample. Nemec has been very sluggish. His skating metrics weren’t good last year, but he didn’t seem to get caught up the ice nearly as much as he has this year.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Agree to disagree. I think he's been getting a lot of unearned criticism for his defensive play because he's small. His defensive play has been very good aside from 1 period.

He might, but if he gets sent down, it'd be due to a number game, not because of his deficiencies.

"As much as the goals are great, if his game defensively is a mess and it is a fire drill when he is on the ice, he is not going to be able to stay here," Keefe said after Monday's game. "But his defensive game, he is playing with intelligence. For an undersized defenseman, he plays his body so well. He doesn't complicate things for himself or his teammates."

When he goes down it will be because he needs reps to improve. Nothing the matter with that

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

This is nice and all, except Keefe plays him the least of any d-man and gives him the easiest assignments.

And this isn't really a knock as Casey is an undersized rookie who undoubtedly was supposed to start the year in Utica, but Keefe is not playing him like a guy who he has a ton of trust in defensively, and that to me says a lot more then anything a coach will tell the media.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This is nice and all, except Keefe plays him the least of any d-man and gives him the easiest assignments.

And this isn't really a knock as Casey is an undersized rookie who undoubtedly was supposed to start the year in Utica, but Keefe is not playing him like a guy who he has a ton of trust in defensively, and that to me says a lot more then anything a coach will tell the media.
that doesn't mean he's been bad, it just mean he's a rookie. It takes time to earn the trust of a coach when you are fresh in the league.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
that doesn't mean he's been bad, it just mean he's a rookie. It takes time to earn the trust of a coach when you are fresh in the league.
But if Casey has been really good, while Nemec, (who is actually younger then Casey and only a 2nd year player himself) has been a boat anchor, wouldn't Keefe see this and change deployment accordingly?

Casey is clearly impressive with the puck, but I think it's a stretch to say he has been very impressive defensively.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
But if Casey has been really good, while Nemec, (who is actually younger then Casey and only a 2nd year player himself) has been a boat anchor, wouldn't Keefe see this and change deployment accordingly?

Casey is clearly impressive with the puck, but I think it's a stretch to say he has been very impressive defensively.
I can’t speak to his positioning or overall coverage but he has made a decent number of individual defensive plays that I’ve noticed during games.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Because Nemec is not a rookie.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This would make sense if Nemec and Casey weren't the same age and both have the exact same amount of time with keefe.
Nemec is not a rookie. Coaches trust vets more regardless of their personal experience with said player.

Keefe is easing Casey into his role, like a lot of coaches do for rookie defenseman.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
IMG_4370.gif

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yet Luke led all NJ d-men in minutes last year. Nemec averaged more then Sieg's, Bahl, Smith and Miller.
Ruff is not Keefe. And Hughes' ATOI really wasn't that high for the first 20 or so games in his career. He was a healthy scratch for his first 9 playoff games.

Casey's last two games have been his highest in ice time, so it seems he's beginning to gain that trust.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Ruff is not Keefe. And Hughes' ATOI really wasn't that high for the first 20 or so games in his career.

Casey's last two games have been his highest in ice time, so it seems he's beginning to gain that trust.
Hughes ATOI for his first 20 games was about 19:30 a night, including 25 minutes in game 5 vs the canes.

Nemec's last 2 games have ALSO been his highest in ice time. 19 minutes a night the last 2 games compared to 15 for casey

And don't give some bullshit about how keefe trusts nemec more bc of 40 games last year.

Either both aren't getting used bc of inexperience, or neither are. You don't get to pick and choose logic based on who you like more

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Nemec and Casey are both young defensemen, with all the ups and downs that often come with it. Casey has looked impressive so far, but that doesn't mean he won't make mistakes just like Luke and Nemec have at times. I think they're handling him the right way by putting him in good situations. They can do that because they actually have depth and don't have to run him into the ground like they did with Luke last year.

Unfortunately he probably will be the odd man out when Luke and Pesce come back, but I don't think it would hurt his development if he ends up in Utica. Besides, the likelihood of every defenseman being healthy all season once those guys come back probably isn't all that high. Dougie has missed an entire season's worth of games since becoming a Devil.

I will gladly take the "problem" of having too many defensemen.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You fail to hold casey to the same logic or standard as nemec.

Try better to hide the bias
I'm a big fan of Nemec, but he was really bad in preseason and that has continued through most of the regular season. I think he's pretty clearly not at 100%, he's not nearly as steady as he was last year.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I'm a big fan of Nemec, but he was really bad in preseason and that has continued through most of the regular season. I think he's pretty clearly not at 100%, he's not nearly as steady as he was last year.
If you can recognize he is injured, then you should clearly understand that he will get healthier, and then should clearly recognize Casey as the one to be sent down as Nemec, Hughes, and Pesce all get healthy

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If you can recognize he is injured, then you should clearly understand that he will get healthier, and then should clearly recognize Casey as the one to be sent down as Nemec, Hughes, and Pesce all get healthy
I'm not at all convinced a healthy Nemec is better than Casey. But man, what a great problem to have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad