GDT: Devils @ Hurricanes - 7:00 PM - MSG

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Just a typical period against the Hurricanes. Get caved in on possession, give up mostly shots to the outside with a few good looks in between. We'll get chances eventually, it just is what it is, we generally don't match-up too well against them in my opinion.

Canes games is where Luke would be a real boost. His ability to create breakouts with his skating alone is missed in our D corps at the moment

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Carolina is a playoff bubble team masquerading as a good team at this point. They have mediocre skill and just try to clutch and grab and hope their forecheck shakes loose enough pucks to create good chances for them since they don’t have the talent by and large to create enough good chances without it.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Nemec is doing everything fine. When Casey is under really pressure he is still young and inexperienced. Carolina is trying to push from his side. And don't forget - if playing on the left side is helping him with the puck in O zone, it doesn't help him without the puck in N zone and in D zone, he is very raw on the slot.
But again - its okay for so young and unexperienced defenseman to make some mistakes, we have enough of good defensemen to limit his load.
Problem is Keefe has the two youngest and least experienced Dmen in one pairing. Split them up and lessen the impact of them getting caved.

Carolina is a playoff bubble team masquerading as a good team at this point. They have mediocre skill and just try to clutch and grab and hope their forecheck shakes loose enough pucks to create good chances for them since they don’t have the talent by and large to create enough good chances without it.
25 years ago, that was us to an extent, lmao.

Reactions: My3Sons

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
People looking too much into first month of the season.

If we went by October last season then the Devils would be Cup Contenders and the Oilers a lottery team.

October hockey is about getting as many pts possible while tweaking things and trying to find a good groove in November.
10 games minimum to really start pointing out weaknesses of the lines/system. They're still adjusting to new coach, new lines, new system, new players, etc.

What I don't need 10 games for is seeing Markstrom just answering the bell with some of these 2nd and 3rd attempt saves.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Wasn’t a great period but the difference between the last few years and this one is pretty stark. Think the broadcast nailed it - they’re doing the right things after the breakdowns.
Yup. Someone will mess up, and someone moves in to cover. Or even. the person who goofed recovers.

Reactions: Oneiro

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Problem is Keefe has the two youngest and least experienced Dmen in one pairing. Split them up and lessen the impact of them getting caved.

25 years ago, that was us to an extent, lmao.
Sure but the game is different now. As much benefit of the doubt as the refs give these hard working veteran teams you have to be able to play well beyond the system and the clutch and grab.

Reactions: Dialamo

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Even Weekes is shocked :laugh:

1729036685038.png

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I actually think the Devils did fine that period. Carolina had a lot of offensive zone time but got very little out of it. Devils picked up on mistakes and got their own chances.

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
I emptied my guts during intermission.. that should help them be less sluggish right?

Because it certainly hasnt helped me yet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad