GDT: Devils @ Hurricanes - 7:00 PM - MSG

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
As much as I want to smoke these nerds, I have a similar feeling about this one as I did about Toronto. We will need to jump on them early and score a few quick ones since fatigue will likely set in the second half of the game.

Reactions: My3Sons

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
erik-haula-sporting-a-canes-suck-bracelet-v0-xhc6j5agtfcb1.jpg

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
In college during the 2001 playoffs I would go upstairs to the girls floor to watch games because they had a tv with cable. Random girls would occasionally wander through the lounge and stop to watch for a minute, and I had the exact same conversation, almost word-for-word about ten times:

Girl: what r you watching
Me: hockey playoffs
Girl: whos playing
Me: The New Jersey Devils
Girl: against who
Me: [sheepishly] the... Carolina Hurricanes
Girl: that's a team?
Me: unfortunately

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

y683xcK.gif

9FqbdNA.gif

0tDgj6H.jpg

vpooqll.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS (4-1-0) vs. HURRICANES (0-1-0)
New Jersey visits the Carolina Hurricanes for the first time this season, on the second half of a back-to-back.

Devils Team Scope:
The Devils arrive in Raleigh on a two-game win streak. Against Utah, the Devils power play found some rhythm, scoring two of the team’s three total goals on the man-advantage. To help combat Utah’s speed, the Devils brought a heavy style of play where they had 28 hits. Paul Cotter led the way with 8 while Ondrej Palat and Stefen Noesen had the second most hits at 4 each. Physicality by everyone has been a point of emphasis throughout training camp and the start of the season.

New Jersey’s penalty kill continues to show up strong, as they’ve kept opponents from scoring 93.3% of the time through five games. Jake Allen stopped all 20 shots he faced for his first shutout as a Devil.

Paul Cotter leads the Devils with four goals. Erik Haula and Stefan Noesen are tied for the team lead with four assists, while Noesen leads the Devils with six points. Seamus Casey has stood out in his first five games in the NHL as the rookie has three goals and an assist for four total points. Casey has shown poise and a high level of confidence in his play, and has been sound defensively.

The Devils will split duties between their two netminders for this back-to-back. As Jake Allen played on Monday, Jacob Markstrom will get the start against the Hurricanes.

Hurricanes Team Scope:
The Carolina Hurricanes are in a unique position as they’re only playing their second game of the season after their second game of the year, against the Florida Panthers, was postponed due to Hurricane Milton.

In their season opener, against the Tampa Bay Lightning, Nikita Kucherov’s third period, natural hat trick put the game out of reach for Carolina. Jordan Staal, who is in his 19th NHL season and his 13th with Carolina, has the lone Carolina goal this season and William Carrier has the Hurricanes only assist. Frederik Andersen played the first game of the season for Carolina and had a 2.06 goals against average, with a .905 save percentage.

Last year, Carolina had the second best power play in the NHL, scoring on 26.9% of their opportunities. In their lone game against the Lightning they didn’t score on any of their four power plays.

INJURIES

Devils:

L.Hughes (shoulder), Pesce (ankle), Hatakka (upper-body), Vilen (upper-body), Beckman (lower-body)

Hurricanes:
Lemieux (undisclosed, IR), Fast (neck, IR), Ryan (undisclosed, IR), R. Stillman (lower-body, IR)

E58iZLX.png

zJxBgHK.jpg

vUJFjb4.gif

ghhOoBc.jpg

BP4CgLg.gif

Very nice, thank you for your efforts much appreciated

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
not for nothing, but we're 5 games in already, this is just #2 for them.... we should be in better strides in comparison....

we'll win 3-1.

That’s my gut feel as well. Canes have been off since Friday so I feel like we’ll get on them a hit early and build a bit of a lead. Canes forecheck will be a tough test so we’ll see how our D handles it. Especially interested in how Casey and Nemec do

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I really don't buy the back to back stuff mattering this early in the year. Guys should not be tired already. If anything I think it could be an advantage that we've already played so much against a team that has only played one game.

Especially against a team like Carolina who likes to skate teams into the ground

Overstressing players physically by scheduling back to back games when it is totally unnecessary leads to more injuries.

It’s stupid even if the players do it their entire career, even if it’s early in the season. And it’s stupid even if the new coach, who I really like, shrugs it off.

I don't see what's wrong with what Keefe said? He's right, lol. He's not shrugging it off, he's just saying hockey players are used to this stuff even though if us fans are uneasy about the whole thing. 3 in 4 nights is more taxing and visibly noticeable on a team than a B2B is

Nocashstyle

May 27, 2009
NJ
Overstressing players physically by scheduling back to back games when it is totally unnecessary leads to more injuries.

It’s stupid even if the players do it their entire career, even if it’s early in the season. And it’s stupid even if the new coach, who I really like, shrugs it off.

What do you expect him to do? Allen started last night. Markstrom starts tonight. That’s really all he can do.

Should he start sitting top 6 guys just because they played the night before?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad