GDT: Devils @ Hurricanes - 7:00 PM - MSG

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
You're just saying things won't matter with absolutely no proof. I don't know that it will, but I don't know it won't either. Load management came to the NBA for a reason, and there's no reason to believe hockey is so different a sport (in fact given the contact it's probably MORE relevant) that it's absolutely beyond question that some form of load management might help.

"It's always been done this way" is nothing but an artificial block on potential progress. At one point goalies didn't wear masks, players didn't wear helmets, and there were 7 players on the ice. Things change, and I would simply like to explore if there are more efficient ways of winning hockey games, which I trust we all want the Devils to do as much as humanly possible.

I get what you're saying but the NBA is completely different than the NHL, guys would get bullied to hell if they took games for load management and they were on a bubble team like NBA players do so. The NBA is also a star driven league to the gills, the NHL isn't to that degree.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
There's five teams that have fewer back to backs than the Devils, we're at the low end. We have 12, the lowest is 10 and 11 for the other four.

Do people realize our guys can spend the night in their own beds and take a f***ing bus or puddle jumper to numerous teams that day for a shit ton of games throughout the season? I couldn't imagine playing for a west coast or mid west team, US or Canadian, you're on a plane non stop, sometimes to just play your biggest rival LMAO. We have the best travel situation in the entire league.

Bingo, these guys legit travel on buses for their two biggest rivals. Teams in Western Canada would probably call us moping f***s for complaining about this lol

Reactions: JK3

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Bingo, these guys legit travel on buses for their two biggest rivals. Teams in Western Canada would probably call us moping f***s for complaining about this lol
i'm all for reducing the amount of inter conference games. doing 1and1 is so stupid imo

up the amount of divisional games and block off weeks for strictly divisional conference and out of conference games would be my dream.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I get what you're saying but the NBA is completely different than the NHL, guys would get bullied to hell if they took games for load management and they were on a bubble team like NBA players do so. The NBA is also a star driven league to the gills, the NHL isn't to that degree.
Guys only get bullied until they decide it's better for their teams for them to sit occasionally. We lionize guys doing everything in their power to win games and win the cup, but what happens if the data shows the best thing they can do is play 75 games, regardless of health?

Again, maybe prevailing wisdom is right. Maybe it just doesn't make sense. But, I'm telling you, if it matters for f***ing baseball players, I suspect it matters for hockey guys too, the league just hasn't cottoned on yet.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
i'm all for reducing the amount of inter conference games. doing 1and1 is so stupid imo

up the amount of divisional games and block off weeks for strictly divisional conference and out of conference games would be my dream.

I mean I kinda get it, it would suck for us Devils fans to see McDavid once in a blue moon in Prudential Center. It's also a lot better for tv matchups as well. I couldn't care less about playing the Rags/Flyers in the regular season with this playoff format either.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Guys only get bullied until they decide it's better for their teams for them to sit occasionally. We lionize guys doing everything in their power to win games and win the cup, but what happens if the data shows the best thing they can do is play 75 games, regardless of health?

Again, maybe prevailing wisdom is right. Maybe it just doesn't make sense. But, I'm telling you, if it matters for f***ing baseball players, I suspect it matters for hockey guys too, the league just hasn't cottoned on yet.

100%, I don't mind a shorter schedule or even starting earlier so the need for B2B's is pretty low but it's just what it is at this point. And that's probably a different topic, NFL/NHL have the most masculine toxicity out of the 4 sports so naturally guys will get clowned for that stuff even though they probably shouldn't. I would say the solution is starting the season a bit earlier, less B2B's needed and everyone wins in the process. We also don't have to watch a Cup Final in the last weeks of June and wonder if the ice will be suitable to play like last year :laugh:

Reactions: MasterofGrond

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

its a slippery slope then imagine how much better they would be if they played 65 games! again if you are hurt dont play dont try and be a hero no one is asking that. if you are good enough to contribute to your team winning then go and play! a professional athlete should know how to train and prepare and recover to make sure they can survive playing a full work load which for hockey is 82 games. if they can't? then they need to change their training and do better

always hate when players in any sport sit because they clinched a playoff spot.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Meh, these don't bother me either. They're pro athletes, they probably sleep on the plane or do other low energy stuff on those plane rides. Honestly, I've slept on a plane better sometimes than a bed after a long day of work and having to do a night flight. Plane travel being exhausting is a myth lol.
I'll disagree in that it boils down to the individual. I agree there is nothing specific to plane travel that is any different from sitting in a chair any other public place, but to me that raises an issue. I can't sleep on a plane that well. I know I'm asleep in public. It's just weird to me. My wife and kids seem much better at it than I am.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Meh, these don't bother me either. They're pro athletes, they probably sleep on the plane or do other low energy stuff on those plane rides. Honestly, I've slept on a plane better sometimes than a bed after a long day of work and having to do a night flight. Plane travel being exhausting is a myth lol.
I would safely bet there is a certain percentage of players who have issues sleeping on a plane

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I'll disagree in that it boils down to the individual. I agree there is nothing specific to plane travel that is any different from sitting in a chair any other public place, but to me that raises an issue. I can't sleep on a plane that well. I know I'm asleep in public. It's just weird to me. My wife and kids seem much better at it than I am.

Lol, I get this. I usually travel solo so I don't really have anything to worry about anything like a kid, sibling or older relative but I think it's because I used to do really long flights as a kid with my family on trips/visit family so just knocking out on a plane was second nature. I also tend to tire myself out before going on a plane so I don't have to worry about turbulence or other bullshit on a plane. :laugh:

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Carolina has the last change tonight. My guess is they matchup Aho against Jack and Sasquatch against Hischier. The Canes defense is not quite what it was previously but I'm sure it's still good enough to give NJ trouble this early. Just wait until the older Canes start getting worn down over the course of the season and Sasquatch and Burns and Orlov and Anderson and Martinook start to deteriorate as the games stack up. They likely will have to do some major trading to give themselves a chance in the playoffs.

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
There's five teams that have fewer back to backs than the Devils, we're at the low end. We have 12, the lowest is 10 and 11 for the other four.

Do people realize our guys can spend the night in their own beds and take a f***ing bus or puddle jumper to numerous teams that day for a shit ton of games throughout the season? I couldn't imagine playing for a west coast or mid west team, US or Canadian, you're on a plane non stop, sometimes to just play your biggest rival LMAO. We have the best travel situation in the entire league.
Compared to last season (I think) where we had close to(if not, the) most?

I think this season is a makeup with the schedule-makers for that debacle.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Canes have only had 1 game to get up to speed and it was 4 days ago. Devils should be all over them early.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

me personally i think playing back to backs great way to rack up points in a short matter of time. if you can win majority of them you can set the pace and sit back and watch the other teams chase you.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
NBA benches are deeper with a lot of guys who can take minutes from star players without issue. Load management is much more practically challenging with the NHL's roster set up unless you put guys on IR aggressively and call up AHL depth guys. You already have guys taking games off for health issues all season long.

Unless you want your best guys to like skate a few nights on the fourth line / off the special teams units as part of load management, which would take a heavily disciplined coach willing to timebox the minutes his best players get even if the games are close.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I don’t worry much about back to backs. It’s the 3rd in 4 and 4th in 6 that I think can get a little taxing.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
4 page back and forth on back-to-backs

1729025710969.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad