Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
The problem with Knight is that its not in Florida's benefit to trade him. They'll go through free agency and then if they aren't able to fit their team into the cap, they'll be forced to trade him.

He won't be available until free agency is already settled and its too much of a risk for the Devils to wait and then find out he's unavailable.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Being dysfunctional and a complete mess that a player wouldn’t consider going to are two different things

They already have a guy who they are paying starting goaltender money to, players who consider themselves starting goalies usually do not like to go to a place like that.

The problem with Knight is that its not in Florida's benefit to trade him. They'll go through free agency and then if they aren't able to fit their team into the cap, they'll be forced to trade him.

He won't be available until free agency is already settled and its too much of a risk for the Devils to wait and then find out he's unavailable.

I don't think there is any chance that Knight is part of the Panthers' organization at noon on July 1.

That said, there is too much risk for the Devils to consider Knight at all.

Homedresser

Proverbs 26:4-5
Dec 7, 2021
You truly can’t make this assessment before seeing the results. His short time with us is a wash. Not nearly enough time to make the changes and have the team play his way.

My problem with saying a coach is terrible is that as fans we only see at most 5% of what they’re doing and the factors involved. And then the rest is inferred from results. That isn’t nearly enough to so confidently assess that someone is a terrible coach after only one job. Again, I’m fine with saying that’s it’s questionable from the outside given his past results but given how little we actually see and know it’s not fair to do confidently state that he’s a terrible coach.
Very well said. Unfortunately most here think they know 100% based on what they see on MSG.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Goalies the age of Markstrom usually get donated (Roloson, Fleury, Smith, Luongo, Talbot...). Fitzgerald obviously overpaid for Allen but usually when you're at that age you have no value, unless you're a mid season rental as currently the Vezina favorite. Plus Markstrom is overpaid and has an extra year in his contract and has struggled for 2 years in a row. I think a 2nd round pick would be an overpayment. He has almost no playoff experience either. Giving up a 1st would be, in my opinion, one of the worst trades of the modern era, up there with the Erat and Bobrovsky trades.
Most likely the '10th overall pick' talk is just the Canadian media's concoction. I'm always hearing about how the Habs can get elite players for their most recent 7th round pick or how their latest 6th round pick is definitely the next Gaudreau. Always lies
I don’t know if he overpaid for Allen.

There’s a real value in a cheap vet who is paid so little (1.925m), and they’re lose a retaining spot all season while paying 1.925m. We’re paying for that too.

So it seems like a 3rd value.

And the worst part of the pick conditions is it ties up our 2025 2nd.

But if he plays in 40 games for us, and we make the playoffs, then he likely had at least a very solid season.

And I feel like the conditions on the pick is partly to prevent us from flipping him at 50% retained for profit. If he’s playing well we probably could get a 2nd for Allen at 962k.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
View attachment 883131

Maybe we can swap these guys as part of the Markstrom deal? They get the younger player with way more scoring potential, we get a guy with great speed that had 238 hits in 63 games more suited to the traditional 3rd line role.

I would love Pospisil, he’s on my list of guys I think would be solid pick-ups (most of whom are likely not available *sob*).

He still needs to learn what acts of violence he can get away with, but he would make us harder to play against, and he’s rounding into a good player as well. Real physical and at times brutal.

Cap Friendly lists him at RW, but I believe he’s a LW and he plays that in Calgary. (He shoots left.)

Edit: Good to see lots of people on Team Pospisil, go get him Fitz! (Note: I don’t have that much hope he will but we can dream.)

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
They already have a guy who they are paying starting goaltender money to, players who consider themselves starting goalies usually do not like to go to a place like that.
I don’t think the money matters much if they don’t consider the guy their starting goalie. He would come in as the clear starting goalie there

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

I don't think there is any chance that Knight is part of the Panthers' organization at noon on July 1.

That said, there is too much risk for the Devils to consider Knight at all.
I mostly only disagree on timing - but I’m assuming Florida will have an arbitration buyout window (and will utilize the 10% off-season overage as needed).

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
People bring up the risks of Spencer Knight but any goalie the Devils are going acquire is going to come with some level of risk.

There's a huge risk in paying a premium for 1 year of Saros or Ullmark and them underperforming (goalies can have large variances in performance from year to year, just look at Vasilevskiy this season or Demko in 2022-2023).

On the flip side there's a huge risk in paying that premium for Saros or Ullmark and extending them considering the large amount of goalies that have declined in performance once they entered their 30s.

Markstrom is a risk due to his age, inconsistent performance, contract and potential cost in assets.

The UFA market is filled with backups or inconsistent goalies. Banking on any of them being the answer is just as big of a question mark as Knight without the upside.

Now I expect the Devils to go after a more proven goalie but that doesn't mean it will end up being the right decision, after all there was a point where all those proven goalies were just as unproven as Spencer Knight is now.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I would love Pospisil, he’s on my list of guys I think would be solid pick-ups (most of whom are likely not available *sob*).

He still needs to learn what acts of violence he can get away with, but he would make us harder to play against, and he’s rounding into a good player as well. Real physical and at times brutal.

Cap Friendly lists him at RW, but I believe he’s a LW and he plays that in Calgary. (He shoots left.)

Edit: Good to see lots of people on Team Pospisil, go get him Fitz! (Note: I don’t have that much hope he will but we can dream.)
Pospisil can also play center. He did that at the recent Worlds

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Thanks for your words. Мне действительно приятно, когда людям интересно и полезно читать, то что я пишу.
I think Colorado dont have reasons to trade him. As I understand he isnt very good in D zone, but he is mobile, quite productive for his role. But Colorado is trying to compete now and Colton is on the fair deal.
Agreed but if Landy gets back someone needs to be moved

Reactions: Guadana

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
People bring up the risks of Spencer Knight but any goalie the Devils are going acquire is going to come with some level of risk.

There's a huge risk in paying a premium for 1 year of Saros or Ullmark and them underperforming (goalies can have large variances in performance from year to year, just look at Vasilevskiy this season or Demko in 2022-2023).

On the flip side there's a huge risk in paying that premium for Saros or Ullmark and extending them considering the large amount of goalies that have declined in performance once they entered their 30s.

Markstrom is a risk due to his age, inconsistent performance, contract and potential cost in assets.

The UFA market is filled with backups or inconsistent goalies. Banking on any of them being the answer is just as big of a question mark as Knight without the upside.

Now I expect the Devils to go after a more proven goalie but that doesn't mean it will end up being the right decision, after all there was a point where all those proven goalies were just as unproven as Spencer Knight is now.

Kinda ironic the guy most attached to the Devils is also a former Panthers goalie prospect in Markstrom :laugh:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I mostly only disagree on timing - but I’m assuming Florida will have an arbitration buyout window (and will utilize the 10% off-season overage as needed).

The only arb-eligible player on their NHL roster is Josh Mahura, who I cannot imagine they tender a contract to. There's some in the minors too but none of them seem worth qualifying. I don't see any reason why they would leave things go that late, either somebody wants Knight or they don't, he's not a 'we had no other options' sort of player to acquire.

Reactions: tailfins

Camille the Eel

jake debrusk is 27 years old. that's not a palat contract. and if we were able to sign 27 year old palat, we would've.
I do not understand the enthusiasm for Debrusk. Not you, this is just a convenient moment for me to express what I think every time I see his name come up.

He’s been such a consistent disappointment in Boston. The equivalent of their Zacha. There’s hardly a Bruin fan who won’t be happy when he’s gone. Totally inconsistent player who disappears for long periods, strings of games on end, and then suddenly rushes the puck to the net, colliding with the goalie and everyone says “what a player.”

I want no part of him. No, no, no. Don’t let him within a hundred miles of Jersey. The buyers remorse will be huge with this guy. The leopard is not going to change its spots here.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I do not understand the enthusiasm for Debrusk. Not you, this is just a convenient moment for me to express what I think every time I see his name come up.

He’s been such a consistent disappointment in Boston. The equivalent of their Zacha. There’s hardly a Bruin fan who won’t be happy when he’s gone. Totally inconsistent player who disappears for long periods, strings of games on end, and then suddenly rushes the puck to the net, colliding with the goalie and everyone says “what a player.”

I want no part of him. No, no, no. Don’t let him within a hundred miles of Jersey. The buyers remorse will be huge with this guy. The leopard is not going to change its spots here.

this is totally untrue lol I know a few Boston fans and they love the guy. He is a 40-50 point physical player that performs in the playoffs. No one is expecting a 50 goal scorer here.

We already have the top end forwards. We just need another mid-level forward or two, which is exactly what he is.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
this is totally untrue lol I know a few Boston fans and they love the guy. He is a 40-50 point physical player that performs in the playoffs. No one is expecting a 50 goal scorer here.

We already have the top end forwards. We just need another mid-level forward or two, which is exactly what he is.
I dont think he will be Hyman oilers version for us but I would make a bet with him on the roster. Not a big fan but for reasonable price i have a feeling he can do more here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad