Devils cleared to spend to the cap next season

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
After making it into the playoffs for the 1st time in 5 years, ownership decided to let GM Shero spend to to the cap next season. That means they have just under $20M to spend, and that is if the cap stayed the same. Since it will go up, they suddenly have a lot of money to play with and bring in some good players. They also get Ryan Clowe and his $4.85M off the books as well

Will be interesting to see if Shero takes advantage of it. He did spend to the cap with penguins but handed out some bad contracts with that $$$

https://www.tsn.ca/devils-gm-shero-cleared-to-spend-to-cap-1.1068643

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Tavares makes a ton of sense. That would enable them to move Zacha for a defensemen.

I wouldnt mind if you took Perry for free but Ducks would probably have to retain and he would have to waive his nmc.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Could make them one of the few teams in the league able to make the deal the Sens want, where one of the assets they get in exchange for Karlsson is for the other team to take the Bobby Ryan contract.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Hall, Tavares,Hischier,

All first Overalls. Jersey bout to take the next step if they land JT.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Could make them one of the few teams in the league able to make the deal the Sens want, where one of the assets they get in exchange for Karlsson is for the other team to take the Bobby Ryan contract.

What an awful contract for Ryan

Reactions: Morrison

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
I don't see how JT is realistic without us eventually running into cap hell by addressing our other needs. We need a top pair LHD, we need to extend Hall...

Also in a couple years Nico, Bratt and Butcher will all need contracts. How do we flex that by adding say JT, Carlson (Who isn't even a LHD) and extending Hall?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I imagine that might be an attractive spot for Tavares... Close to where he lives now but goes to another organization where he has a chance to win.

I could be reading this wrong but if Tavares stays in the NYC area, I can only see 1 team he plays for.

Reactions: buckmaster

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
One if the worst things a team like NJD could do is spend to the cap just because they can. Go get JT, sure. But spending to spend gets you a bunch of overpaid bums that you’ll have to buyout.

And Shero knows that. He's said multiple times how valuable cap space is and how hard it is to get it back once you've used it all. I can see him pushing hard for either Tavares or Carlson but he's not going to spend to the cap willy nilly.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I don't see how JT is realistic without us eventually running into cap hell by addressing our other needs. We need a top pair LHD, we need to extend Hall...

Also in a couple years Nico, Bratt and Butcher will all need contracts. How do we flex that by adding say JT, Carlson (Who isn't even a LHD) and extending Hall?
Easy.

Clowe (4.85M) is off the books this year.
Lovejoy (2.66M) and Boyle (2.75M) off the books next year.
Greene (6M) off the books next year.
Zajac (5.75M) off the books the year after that.

Also Johansson (4.58M) is UFA next summer, if they get into cap problems they could easily just let him walk.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
And Shero knows that. He's said multiple times how valuable cap space is and how hard it is to get it back once you've used it all. I can see him pushing hard for either Tavares or Carlson but he's not going to spend to the cap willy nilly.

I guess he learned that from mistakes he made in Pittsburgh. He had some bad UFA signings that JR was still dealing with long after Shero was fired.

Reactions: Pens x

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad